DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 4.7 Liter V8

Notices

Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 4.7 Liter V8 Discuss modifying your Dodge Ram with Performance Parts and Accessories!
Factory Spec: 4.7-liter V8 engine - 310 horsepower, 330 lb-ft of torque.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 01-13-2011, 01:57 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram 1500 CrewCab
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Black
Engine: 2008-???? 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 310hp 330lb/ft
Rep:92
KRAZYK will become famous soon enough

ok final results on my first tank of E85 are a little disappointing.. 11.5 MPG. I went 296.3 miles on my 26 gallon tank (and had maybe another 10 miles left in the tank when I filled up). I was getting over 400+ miles to a tank on Gasoline..

Like I said that was MOSTLY city but I did have some highway time in there.

so.. obviously for me it is not cost effective to run pure E85 all the time, but now my question is could mixing E85 and Gasoline give me better results? Or should I just stick to Gasoline?
SuperChips FlashPaq | 6000K HIDs Hi/Low | custom DIY intake | CherryBomb Glasspack | Daystar 2.5" Leveling Kit + Bilstein Shocks | 5% tint front and back | smoked tail lights and 3rd light | Pioneer AVH-P3200 2DIN + SIRIUS tuner | Reverse Camera | Kicker ZX700.5 | Kicker S10L5 sub in a FoxBox
Old 01-13-2011, 02:10 PM

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram 6.6L Hemi!
Trim Level: Crew Cab Sport 4x4
Color: Stone White
Rep:366
RamTex is just really niceRamTex is just really niceRamTex is just really niceRamTex is just really nice

thats horrible... sry to hear that I get that much on my 93 tune.

"New Project" 1969 Road Runner
BV Heads,K1 Crank and Rods,Corrillo Pistons,ARP Head, Main, Side Studs and Rod Bolts,Spartan Eagle Cam,6.1 Manifold,Fastman 85mm,LMI Hammer, ARH's,3000TC,Hemifever Tuning
Old 01-13-2011, 10:24 PM
US Army Retired

Vehicle: '11 Ram 1500 Big Horn Crew 4x4
Trim Level: Big Horn
Color: Brilliant Black
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:1178
ArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud of

I get that mileage on regular gas. LOL.

I filled up today, and when i started the truck back up, it said 278 miles to empty.

Avg is 9.7mpg, all city, light foot.

of course the fact that it is less than 10 degrees outside doesnt help.

2014 Mazda CX-5 Touring w/Tech Pack-6000K HID's, 20% tint, 35mpg, so I will leave it alone.
2002 Ford Focus ZTW Wagon-loaded, tinted, tunes and commuting. 163k miles and counting...

Old 01-14-2011, 12:04 PM

I guess im gonna have to give it some time.. I'm back on Gasoline and I dont see my mileage increasing much.. looks like Ill need to do some long term testing.
SuperChips FlashPaq | 6000K HIDs Hi/Low | custom DIY intake | CherryBomb Glasspack | Daystar 2.5" Leveling Kit + Bilstein Shocks | 5% tint front and back | smoked tail lights and 3rd light | Pioneer AVH-P3200 2DIN + SIRIUS tuner | Reverse Camera | Kicker ZX700.5 | Kicker S10L5 sub in a FoxBox
Old 01-14-2011, 12:46 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Vehicle: 2010 Ram 1500
Trim Level: ST Crew Cab
Color: Deepwater Blue
Rep:10
Chinchilla is on a distinguished road

manual calculation for MPG's for my 10 tanks of ethanol (had to make sure the ECM was dialed for the E85), I got about 12.5 miles per gallon on ethanol, and about 14.8 on average over the last 5 full tanks of gasoline.

E85 is $2.79 a gallon here in Sacramento
87 octane is about $3.49 a gallon

12.5 x 26 gallon tank= 325 miles per tank
14.8x26= 384.8 miles per tank

325/384.8= roughly a 16% difference right?

But 2.79/3.49= roughly a 20% difference..

It may seem that ethanol is more cost efficient, despite the large drawback of mileage per gallon. of course this isn't like a closed study, with controlled environments, but hey it gives a good idea of what my driving conditions fare with both versions of propellant. Just my two cents... Good luck on finding a programmer that works well, and report back with info, I'd love to get one that works with both.
Old 01-14-2011, 02:28 PM
US Army Retired

Vehicle: '11 Ram 1500 Big Horn Crew 4x4
Trim Level: Big Horn
Color: Brilliant Black
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:1178
ArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud of

So I have to tune the ECM to run E85 with my Flex Fuel "E85 Ready" vehicle? Thats crap!

2014 Mazda CX-5 Touring w/Tech Pack-6000K HID's, 20% tint, 35mpg, so I will leave it alone.
2002 Ford Focus ZTW Wagon-loaded, tinted, tunes and commuting. 163k miles and counting...

Old 01-14-2011, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chinchilla View Post
manual calculation for MPG's for my 10 tanks of ethanol (had to make sure the ECM was dialed for the E85), I got about 12.5 miles per gallon on ethanol, and about 14.8 on average over the last 5 full tanks of gasoline.

E85 is $2.79 a gallon here in Sacramento
87 octane is about $3.49 a gallon

12.5 x 26 gallon tank= 325 miles per tank
14.8x26= 384.8 miles per tank

325/384.8= roughly a 16% difference right?

But 2.79/3.49= roughly a 20% difference..

It may seem that ethanol is more cost efficient, despite the large drawback of mileage per gallon. of course this isn't like a closed study, with controlled environments, but hey it gives a good idea of what my driving conditions fare with both versions of propellant. Just my two cents... Good luck on finding a programmer that works well, and report back with info, I'd love to get one that works with both.

ECM dialed for E85, does that mean your using a programmer? if so what brand?
Old 01-19-2011, 06:48 AM

Vehicle: 2009 Ram 1500
Trim Level: ST 2X4
Color: Bright Silver Metalic
Engine: 2008-20?? 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 310hp 330lb/ft
Rep:236
GPSHSLAX has a spectacular aura aboutGPSHSLAX has a spectacular aura aboutGPSHSLAX has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmyofOne View Post
So I have to tune the ECM to run E85 with my Flex Fuel "E85 Ready" vehicle? Thats crap!
Quote:
Originally Posted by KRAZYK View Post
ECM dialed for E85, does that mean your using a programmer? if so what brand?
I'm gunna go out on a limb here.

The 4.7L engine does not need to be be retuned to run e85. What would be the point of that.

The computer does however have the capacity to "learn" and adjust fuel ratio based on a variety of data. I'm going to assume what Chinchilla actually meant was that he drove for 10 tanks to make sure the adaptive learning tables had been replaced with date pertaining to E85 rather than regular gasoline. I could of course be wrong here, but unless he bought a tuner with a special E85 program this is the only thing that makes sense.

Mods: Thule Xsporter 422XT bed rack, Underrail Rhinolining, MOPAR class IV Hitch, DIY CAI, Aero Turbine 3030.
Future Mods/Wishlist: Tuner, Daystar Comfort Ride 1.5" Leveling kit, Nerf Bars, Police style push bumper with light guards, KC or Thule trail lights, HID projector lights.
Old 01-22-2011, 11:36 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2005 Chevy Colorado
Rep:10
JLAudio11 is on a distinguished road

I actually run e85 in my bike and its great! For reference, my bike picked up 4 peak hp, and 11 @ 9500 just by switching. That may not sound like a lot but the bike only makes 168 lol. Ethanol/e85 actually burns faster than gasoline which is why you will always get less fuel mileage out of it. E85 has the potential to make more power but it is reliant on some things. It can be cold blooded. It likes a lot of compression and timing. It's optimum afr is also richer than gasoline. With the new flex fuel vehicles there is a sensor basically testing the fuel constantly for its ethanol content to let the computer decide how much more injector pulse to push to compensate for it's higher burn rate. The reason many vehicles don't run as well on it is usually because of relatively low compression ratios and timing. Another fyi, e85's ethanol/gas content changes by the season. If you look at the pump it will say minimum e70. Basically winter, early spring, and late fall it is 70% ethanol 30% gasoline. As it gets warmer the ethanol content goes up and gasoline goes down. So this is something else that will throw off your fuel consumption and performance.

I tried to keep it short and stay on topic. Anyone can pm me if they have any more questions.
Old 01-24-2011, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLAudio11 View Post
I actually run e85 in my bike and its great! For reference, my bike picked up 4 peak hp, and 11 @ 9500 just by switching. That may not sound like a lot but the bike only makes 168 lol. Ethanol/e85 actually burns faster than gasoline which is why you will always get less fuel mileage out of it. E85 has the potential to make more power but it is reliant on some things. It can be cold blooded. It likes a lot of compression and timing. It's optimum afr is also richer than gasoline. With the new flex fuel vehicles there is a sensor basically testing the fuel constantly for its ethanol content to let the computer decide how much more injector pulse to push to compensate for it's higher burn rate. The reason many vehicles don't run as well on it is usually because of relatively low compression ratios and timing. Another fyi, e85's ethanol/gas content changes by the season. If you look at the pump it will say minimum e70. Basically winter, early spring, and late fall it is 70% ethanol 30% gasoline. As it gets warmer the ethanol content goes up and gasoline goes down. So this is something else that will throw off your fuel consumption and performance.

I tried to keep it short and stay on topic. Anyone can pm me if they have any more questions.

A lot of good info here, thank you.