DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > 3RD Generation Dodge Ram 2002 to 2008 Dodge Ram Trucks > Powertrain > 4.7L PowerTech V8 Specific Topics

Notices

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 12-28-2010, 10:24 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 06 1500 QC 4x4
Trim Level: slt
Color: white
Engine: 2002-2007 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 235hp 295lb/ft
Rep:111
wedgeheaded will become famous soon enoughwedgeheaded will become famous soon enough
Default Increasing MPGs experiments

I just bought my 06 1500 4x4 QC. It has the 4.7 and auto trans. When I test drove it the on-board mileage computer said I was getting 8-10 mpg. I asked if I could take the truck on a cruise up I 77 to see what happend. I topped off the tank and left, set the cruise on 70 and drove it to Cambridge, OH from Marietta, OH. then back, filled up and got 14.2. Computer said 13.8. I figured there was more there and the deal was sweet so I bought it. Now, this truck came with 245/70/17s but has 265/70/17s, they have a .035 % larger circumference than the OE tires. That means that when the truck thinks I went 100 miles, It actualy went 103.5 miles. That makes a difference over a 400 mile trip. Driving home I noticed the truck MPG kept creeping up. It's now showing 14.9 local driving. (I'm an EZ driver) I bought a tonneau cover, I'm going to install that and see if it helps. I'll post my findings. I also ordered a cheep-o fresh air intake that I'll modify to be what it should be. After it comes and I get it on, we'll see what it does. I'm going to try different things so feel free to make suggestions. I'm going with the free-cheep fixes first. Some mods help but never pay for themselves. I plan to switch to a free flow exhaust system but I'm too cheep to buy it before I need a muffler. It's on the table but down the line. I'll do one mod at a time and We'll see what works best. Best to ya, Tony

Last edited by wedgeheaded; 12-28-2010 at 10:27 AM.
Sponsored links
Old 12-28-2010, 05:01 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Vehicle: 2002
Trim Level: SLT Sport
Color: grey
Rep:10
partymn is on a distinguished road

Well I ran some sea foam, fuel injector cleaner in my truck after the last oil change and went from 13 MPG to a Solid 16 MPG with highway driving up a mountain to work every day. I figure that if the roads were a bit flatter and I didnt have the mountain to deal with every day that I would be a bit better.
Old 12-28-2010, 07:15 PM

Vehicle: 06 1500 QC 4x4
Trim Level: slt
Color: white
Rep:111
wedgeheaded will become famous soon enoughwedgeheaded will become famous soon enough

That's a good point. The dealership added a can of injector cleaner and I think it did help as I'm showing an average of 15 on the display. I've always just used transmission fluid myself, might give the sea foam a try. I've used it on other things and had great results.
Old 12-28-2010, 07:52 PM

Vehicle: 2011 Chevy 3500HD
Rep:1287
RootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud of

Thanks for the report. The 4.7s aren't known for their mpg but it sounds like you're getting pretty decent mileage.

You're right that the tire size does make a difference, not only in how the on-board computer calculates things, but also in how your speedo and odo show things as well. Might want to keep that in mind if you like pushing the envelope once in a while.

You can also get the dealer to adjust the computer for the tire size. They may even do it for free since you just got the truck and it had the tires on it already.
"A veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard, or reserve - is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The 'United States of America', for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'"
Old 12-28-2010, 07:53 PM

Vehicle: 2005 dodge ram
Trim Level: sxt
Color: atlantic blue
Rep:197
05atlanticblue has a spectacular aura about05atlanticblue has a spectacular aura about

the most accurate way to figure out mpg's is to reset the trip odometer with a full tank of fuel. when you fill the tank again, divide the miles by how much fuel you took on. the dealy on the display is not much more than a glorified vacuum gauge.

btw - best way to get the newer tire size calibrated is a superchips flashpaq
Old 01-24-2011, 10:46 PM

Vehicle: 2003 Dodge Ram 1500 Quad
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Grey
Rep:27
Maddevill is on a distinguished road
Talking mpg

My 4.7 gets 16mpg around town and 18 on the freeway. I just tried a quart of that Zmax stuff and it did increase the mpg a bit.