DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > Product Reviews

Notices

Product Reviews Have you found a great product, or a really bad one and you just need to tell someone about it! Post up a review for the benefit of all!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 10-25-2010, 03:37 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2004 Dakota Club Cab 4X4
Trim Level: SXT
Color: Bright Silver
Engine: 2002-2008 226ci (3.7L) Magnum/PowerTech V6 215hp 235lb/ft
Rep:1824
RamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant future
Default Mobil 1 Extended Performance

Today I decided to give Mobil 1 Extended Performance a try. It's a full synthetic that claims 15k miles between oil changes. I have no intention of going that long between changes but I am shooting for 10k miles. The cost was only $2.50 more than the regular 5W-30 full synthetic M1 that I usually run and if it works out, I'll save the cost of an oil change. I'll be checking the level and condition about once a month and if there are any signs of trouble or sludging I'll change it but I don't forsee any problems. I'll report my findings in this thread from time to time.
Sponsored links
Old 10-25-2010, 03:59 PM

Vehicle: 2011 Chevy 3500HD
Rep:1287
RootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud of

After my 1 year of free oil changes I'll probably switch to synthetic. Looking forward to your reports.

Just curious, how does synthetic hold up with vehicles that get driven about 40 miles a week? My truck sits for days at a time.
"A veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard, or reserve - is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The 'United States of America', for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'"
Old 10-25-2010, 04:27 PM

RamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant future

I can't say for sure but I don't have reason to think dino oil would be any better for one that sits a lot.
Old 10-25-2010, 04:32 PM

Vehicle: 2010 Quad Cab
Trim Level: Big Horn
Color: Blue
Engine: 2009-2010 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:84
Chubby Bruiser will become famous soon enough

Randy,

Had my oil changed Friday. Mobil 1 full synthetic and a NAPA Gold filter. Thanks for your advice. I can tell a big difference already in how my HEMI is running. And it is fun to watch the guys drool at my friends shop while they were doing the oil change, there were literally 6 guys looking at it and asking questions, one guy even dared me to race him is his 72 vette. I said sure what the heck even though I will probably lose, check it out, he backed down. He said his water pump was going out. I said then why did u dare me? He had no reply.
Westin Nerf Bars, Mopar Chrome Bug Deflector, Mopar Mud Flaps, Mopar Slush Mats, Chubby Antenna, K&N Drop in Air Filter, Bosch Wiper Blades, Weathertech Vent Visors, Mopar Trailer Brake Controller, Reese Tow Package with Anti Sway Bars, B Pillar Black Tape Removed, Mopar Chrome Gas Door, Mods to come - 14 inch Mufflex, CAI, Headers, Michelin Tires, Chrome Bed Rails.
Old 10-25-2010, 04:40 PM

Tell him to come find you when he gets the pump fixed. Race him and then have a tug-o-war after the race. You'll win at least one of them.
Old 10-25-2010, 04:49 PM

Vehicle: 2010 Quad Cab
Trim Level: Big Horn
Color: Blue
Rep:84
Chubby Bruiser will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by RamTech View Post
Tell him to come find you when he gets the pump fixed. Race him and then have a tug-o-war after the race. You'll win at least one of them.
Oh yeah, you know that's right!!
Westin Nerf Bars, Mopar Chrome Bug Deflector, Mopar Mud Flaps, Mopar Slush Mats, Chubby Antenna, K&N Drop in Air Filter, Bosch Wiper Blades, Weathertech Vent Visors, Mopar Trailer Brake Controller, Reese Tow Package with Anti Sway Bars, B Pillar Black Tape Removed, Mopar Chrome Gas Door, Mods to come - 14 inch Mufflex, CAI, Headers, Michelin Tires, Chrome Bed Rails.
Old 10-26-2010, 09:52 AM

Those Corvettes just don't seem to pull very well. Maybe that's why they don't offer a towing package.
Old 10-26-2010, 11:04 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 1998 Dodge Ram 4x4 Sport
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Red
Engine: 1994-2001 318ci (5.2L) Magnum V8 220hp
Rep:10
tomcatg is on a distinguished road

I have used Mobil 1 Synthetic in my '98 Ram 318 since it was new, as well as the diffs and trans, grease everything.

After 12 years and 170k miles I can say that it was a wise investment.
Old 10-26-2010, 11:42 AM

Mine has had the regular M1 synthetic in it for over 3 years now with good results. I figure I'll give this stuff a shot and see if I can save some money.
Old 01-25-2011, 11:20 AM

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Black
Rep:138
Bodydoc2002 will become famous soon enoughBodydoc2002 will become famous soon enough

Hey Randy...Are you going to change filters every 5K still? I run M1 with M1 Filter and change every 5K...With the Tech thats out there today I can see a synthetic lasting 15K but is the filter up for that?
2009 2WD Ram 1500. 7 inch CST Lift. 35 inch Mickey Thompson BAJA ATV. 20 inch ATX Artillery wheels. TOFF Spray in Bed liner. N-Fab 6 step Nerf Bars. BushWacker Pocket/Painted Fender Flairs. Diablosport Predator. K&N CAI 77 Series. 180 Thermostat. LED Tailgate lights.