DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > 2ND Generation Dodge Ram 1994 to 2001 Dodge Ram Trucks > Powertrain > 5.9L V8 Specific Topics

Notices

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 01-07-2011, 10:41 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 1998 Dodge Ram
Color: Red
Engine: 1998-2001 360ci (5.9L) Magnum V8 245hp(standard), 250hp(Sport package)
Rep:10
mowery33 is on a distinguished road
Default Please Help! Engine Problem

Hey guys, I'm new to forum and need some advice on a problem that has me scratching my head - raw. I've been trying to fix my mother's 98 ram 5.9 for her, she has no ride right now, so you can imagine how important this is to me. I seem to be making matter's worse though, so need help please.
Ok, the problem started out as a hesitation, so I pulled codes and got p0720 (which is most likely unrelated to the problem I'm inquiring about- will fix it again later) also I got a misfire in cylinder 4, misfire in cylinder 8, and a random misfire. So I pulled out spark plugs 4 and 8; on cylinder four, the ceramic piece of the plug was missing - so replaced plug. On cylinder eight didn't find anything wrong with plug, so I tested it by taking out of cylinder and putting against metal and got a spark (kind of sporadic though). At that time - about two weeks ago - I left cylinder eight alone. By the way, I replaced rotor, cap, plugs and plug wires about a year ago.
Then, about four days ago, my mom said the truck would not go over 40mph without bucking, missing - basically it was shaking violently over forty. So I went further and replaced the number eight plug and switched fuel injector eight with the one from cylinder one just to rule that out. Well, in the mean time, I unhooked the battery, which cleared the codes. When I started up truck and tried to drive it it seemed to now be missing at around 20mph - what the crap!!!! Pulled codes and only got p0720 this time, but problem was worse. Could it be that I only drove the truck about ten minutes, would it take longer for some codes to show up again? More wrong with truck, less codes - go figure. I need some help please.
Oh yeah, i did compression test and all cylinders on that side were at around 140. Can't do leak down until I find a pressure reg nob for my tester, it broke.
And what is this plenum gasket I keep hearing about?
One more thing, the engine it eats a lot of oil.

Last edited by mowery33; 01-07-2011 at 10:59 AM.
Sponsored links
Old 01-07-2011, 11:14 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2004 Dakota Club Cab 4X4
Trim Level: SXT
Color: Bright Silver
Engine: 2002-2008 226ci (3.7L) Magnum/PowerTech V6 215hp 235lb/ft
Rep:1824
RamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant future

You definately have a plenum pan gasket problem. The gasket is located on the bottom of the intake and the original design is prone to blowing and causing misfires and excessive oil consumption. This link will take you to the TSB regarding the problem and how to diagnose it. http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=46305 This link will explain the repair. http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=47741
Old 01-07-2011, 11:51 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Could that be what is causing the random misfire? Thank you so much for the info
Old 01-18-2011, 11:55 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Update - I pulled the intake manifold (not without a headache - for sure), but I finally got it off, then pulled off the plenum pan and sure enough there was a lot of oil in it. I put new gasket on plenum and tightened in sequence from 24 to 48 and finally 84 inch pounds as the specs said, then I got the intake back on and tightened the bolts to a final 12 ft pounds per advice on this forum. Now, tonight, I have to stab the dis. and plug in a couple things and bolt down some others and it's a done deal. I think I broke the cruise control cable though. I was trying to take it off and the plastic deal that holds it on snapped...oops...
Old 01-18-2011, 12:08 PM

Vehicle: 2004 Dakota Club Cab 4X4
Trim Level: SXT
Color: Bright Silver
Engine: 2002-2008 226ci (3.7L) Magnum/PowerTech V6 215hp 235lb/ft
Rep:1824
RamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant future

If you haven't thrown in some fresh plugs, you should at least clean the ones you have now since they're likely fouled.
Old 01-19-2011, 11:41 AM

Vehicle: 1996 Dodge Ram 2500
Trim Level: WS
Color: Black
Engine: 1994-1997 360ci (5.9L) Magnum V8 230hp
Rep:103
panhead will become famous soon enoughpanhead will become famous soon enough

How many miles on the truck?

I am completely disgusted every time I think about having to take a distributor cap off of one of these trucks -Screamintrashcan
Old 01-28-2011, 10:49 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Truck has 196,000 on it The truck has been put back together for a week or so now and it is running great. There are no codes coming up anymore, it runs fine at all speeds, it all worked out great. I thought I had a lifter sticking or something, but I used my stethoscope and pin pointed the tick to the PCV valve. Thanks guys for all your help. My mom's real happy!!!