DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Custom Chassis - Drive Line - Suspension - Wheels and Tires - LIFTING - Dodge Ram 4x4, 2x4

Notices

Custom Chassis - Drive Line - Suspension - Wheels and Tires - LIFTING - Dodge Ram 4x4, 2x4 Discuss anything related to Custom Dodge Ram Wheels, Tires, Brakes, Suspension Mods, Chassis Mods and Tuning, Towing options, Driveline, 4x4, Differentials, Sway Bars, Lifting Springs, Body Lifts, Strut Braces, etc.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 01-29-2011, 11:33 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2007 & 2012 Dodge Rams
Trim Level: Sport & Power Wagon
Color: '07 - Brilliant Black, '12- Grey and Black Lower
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:970
ScatPak07 is a splendid one to beholdScatPak07 is a splendid one to beholdScatPak07 is a splendid one to beholdScatPak07 is a splendid one to beholdScatPak07 is a splendid one to beholdScatPak07 is a splendid one to beholdScatPak07 is a splendid one to beholdScatPak07 is a splendid one to behold
Default Opinions needed for tire and lift additions... lots of reading haha

Hey Everyone!

I am looking to lift my truck a bit. I would like to know if I can use a hockey puck and stuff it between the strut to add some lift? If I do that then can I fit 35" tires? Im just playing with ya! I got a real question.........

Alright as you all know I got a 6" lift rght now on 35" tires. I want to go a little bigger and I am a little confused on what I can do. I just think some opinions and brainstorming will help me out.

I am looking at for sure a body lift to get me another 3" of lift. This will bring me up to a total of 9". My Bilstein 5100s are still up front and they can be used to get me more lift height. I do not want to go to the max setting (2.5") since I will have my vibration back in 4x4. I was thinking of using it for around 1.5" of lift. If I do that I will need to get a block in the rear to match....... OR I was thinking of using some air bags in the rear for the extra 1" of lift.

First question = Will air bags in the back be a good way to lift the truck up?? I want to do that since I am planning on buying train horns so I will have a tank and compressor I can run the bags off of. I am thinking this would be a cool way of lifting the rear since I have a block and add-a-leaf so I would have all 3 ways of lifting in the rear. This would also be good if I ever have a load in the rear or something. Let me know what you think of this way of lifting the truck

Second Question = Should I even go higher then 9" of lift? I will do the 9" for sure, I guess I can save up the extra 1.5" for later or whenever I want.

Third Question = When I go with the 9" of lift I cant use my 35s!! So I am looking at 2 different tires right now. I am pretty much set on these so I dont need any tire suggestions. Now I want to go with either the Interco Trxus STS tires in a 38" or the SS M16 in a 40" tire. Now I just want to know what you all think will look better with the 9" lift. I really like the STS tire and thats why I really want to go with the 38" since it is a wicked looking tire. Only reason I want to go with the M16 tire is because it is a 40". The two tires cost the same and the both weight the same. Only difference really is the height.

I know both tires will fit with 9" of lift. The 38s will look comfortable under the wheel wells but the 40s I think will look a little stuffed. Only thing is I can do my 1.5" lift idea to make the 40s look better if I wanted to.

I believe the truck will do fine with such big tires since it has 3.92 gears. I might need to get a little more power and MAYBE a gear change if it is hurting when installed. Definitely will have to upgrade the brakes to stop all the rolling weight. The 38s weigh 98lbs and the 40s weigh 99lbs. I cant believe they are so close in weight and price and everything! Only thing is the 38s are an a/t tire and the 40s are more of a mud tire (with a/t tire aspects)

This is really stressin me out haha. I want to know what you all think about this plan I have. So either 9" or 10.5" of lift and 38" or 40" tires???? Decisions decisions!! haha

Thanks in advance!!!!
Interior- Custom Gauge Face, 3 Auto Meter Gauge A-Pillar, 2 Tone Seats, 12" Kicker L7, Focal K2 Components, Dodge Door Sills, Recon LED Map & Dome lights
Exterior- 20" Moto Metal 951, 40" BFG KM2s, N-Fab W2W Black Side Steps, Recon Black Headlights & Tails+3rd Brake Light & Light Bar, Hella 500s, T-Rex X-Metal Black 1pc Grille, Tints All Around, Painted Bushwacker Pocket Flares & Door Handles & Mirrors, LoRider Tonneau Cover, Hornblasters Train Horns, Iron Bull Bumper w/PIAA Fog & Driving Lights

Last edited by ScatPak07; 01-29-2011 at 11:36 PM.
Sponsored links
Old 01-30-2011, 01:35 AM

Vehicle: 1999 Dodge Ram 1500 QuadCab
Trim Level: slt
Color: blue
Engine: 1998-2001 360ci (5.9L) Magnum V8 245hp(standard), 250hp(Sport package)
Rep:463
SUL7ENAZ is a glorious beacon of lightSUL7ENAZ is a glorious beacon of lightSUL7ENAZ is a glorious beacon of lightSUL7ENAZ is a glorious beacon of lightSUL7ENAZ is a glorious beacon of light

Skat. Lifting is addicting! LOL. For the front it is a good idea that you don't want to max the shocks so you don't get a vibration. If you don't use your 4WD you may want to to gain extra clearance and not have the stuffed look. As far as the rear options having bags can add lift. They are a good idea since you want to run the train horns. The best solution for the rear though would be to ditch the lift block and add a leaf for a set of full leaf packs at the desired height. Add a leafs stiffen up the rear and your ride quality will improve from using a lift leaf pack in the rear. As far as tires go do the 40's. You will probably want to regear (going from 35's to 40's you are gonna notice). The m16's are a more aggressive tire and will look better in my opinion. Go big or go home!
Old 01-30-2011, 01:40 AM
erm

I say bag it in the back and go to 1.5" in the front. Then you can level it and still get 38's in easy. 40's are not a stretch and may look better.

I agree with the body lift too.

The last thing I am sure of is that you are NUTZ!!! LOL

Have fun with the mods!
Old 01-30-2011, 04:30 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Briliant Black
BigHorn 4 Life is a glorious beacon of lightBigHorn 4 Life is a glorious beacon of lightBigHorn 4 Life is a glorious beacon of lightBigHorn 4 Life is a glorious beacon of lightBigHorn 4 Life is a glorious beacon of light

How wide are you going with the 38's? I would like to lift the front of my truck 1 more inch but no one can give me a streight answer if it will hurt anything on the front of my truck lol.I was thinking of putting the bilstein 1500's on the front and leave my 1' spacers.I just want to set the bilsteins at 1" of a lift hight.Wonder if it will put too much strain on the ball joints? It will give me a 9" lift total if I do this.I am pretty sure i will have to go with a bigger spacer on my front driveshaft too.What do you guys think?

Not trying to hyjack your thread bro just would like to know what you think about this?
Old 01-30-2011, 11:49 AM

SUL7ENAZ is a glorious beacon of lightSUL7ENAZ is a glorious beacon of lightSUL7ENAZ is a glorious beacon of lightSUL7ENAZ is a glorious beacon of lightSUL7ENAZ is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigHorn 4 Life View Post
How wide are you going with the 38's? I would like to lift the front of my truck 1 more inch but no one can give me a streight answer if it will hurt anything on the front of my truck lol.I was thinking of putting the bilstein 1500's on the front and leave my 1' spacers.I just want to set the bilsteins at 1" of a lift hight.Wonder if it will put too much strain on the ball joints? It will give me a 9" lift total if I do this.I am pretty sure i will have to go with a bigger spacer on my front driveshaft too.What do you guys think?

Not trying to hyjack your thread bro just would like to know what you think about this?
The BDS System does not come with upper control arms that can handle the increased loads placed on them by a severe angle (it re uses the stock arms). You also want to be careful not to strain the half shafts for your 4wd too much (angle increases for these as well). If I were you I would buy the bilstein 5100's and start cranking (from the 0 to 1.5" setting) and see how it goes. Worse case scenario you end up with some really nice shocks and no added lift. I wish i had a more definite answer for you. This is one of those things you are gonna just have to try and see how it goes.
Old 01-30-2011, 12:10 PM

Rep:1625
City Slicker has a brilliant futureCity Slicker has a brilliant futureCity Slicker has a brilliant futureCity Slicker has a brilliant futureCity Slicker has a brilliant futureCity Slicker has a brilliant futureCity Slicker has a brilliant futureCity Slicker has a brilliant futureCity Slicker has a brilliant futureCity Slicker has a brilliant futureCity Slicker has a brilliant future

6" suspension lift / 3" body lift on 37x12.5's:

Old 01-30-2011, 12:11 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

BigHorn 4 Life is a glorious beacon of lightBigHorn 4 Life is a glorious beacon of lightBigHorn 4 Life is a glorious beacon of lightBigHorn 4 Life is a glorious beacon of lightBigHorn 4 Life is a glorious beacon of light

Thanks for the quick reply bro.Well the guys at BDS did not want me to put a preload spacer in.i did and it is fine.I just want 1 more inch and I will leave it alone after that. Here is what my cv angles look like right now.I think everything will be fine if I go up just another inch.I will have the guys at Chuxtrux look at it before we do this.

Here is the 1" preload spacer I have too.

Old 01-30-2011, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigHorn 4 Life View Post
Thanks for the quick reply bro.Well the guys at BDS did not want me to put a preload spacer in.i did and it is fine.I just want 1 more inch and I will leave it alone after that. Here is what my cv angles look like right now.I think everything will be fine if I go up just another inch.I will have the guys at Chuxtrux look at it before we do this.

Here is the 1" preload spacer I have too.

Honestly What I would do if it were my truck I would buy a set of 5100's or if I had the money some 10" coilover kings (you will need a custom upper shock mount to run the king 2.5" coilovers) and remove the pre load spacer. If you crank the 5100s to add more height and have the pre load spacer installed your springs will be super stiff (That is what the pre load spacer does stiffens the spring adds height through spacing the coil from the bucket). I am sure you can gain 1.5" out of a 5100" if you remove the spacer and run them at their max lift setting.
Old 01-30-2011, 04:00 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Ok so if I remove the spacer and set the shocks to 1.5 will it be taller then it sets now?
Old 01-30-2011, 11:17 PM

My suggestion was to remove the pre load spacer and crank the bilstein 5100's (ride height adjustable front shocks) to their 2.75" max lift setting. That way you will have an even spring rate rather than run the pre load and the shocks at the same time and throw off the spring rate. You should sit higher with the bilsteins cranked than you do with the spacer now.