DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - General Discussion > 2010 Dodge Ram Forum

Notices

2010 Dodge Ram Forum For specific discussion of the new 2010 Dodge Ram!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 01-28-2011, 06:15 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram 1500 Crew Cab
Trim Level: Sport 4x4 3.92
Color: Bright Silver Metallic
Engine: 2009-2010 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:52
kgb503 will become famous soon enough
Default Engine Light update

So my engine light came on Wednesday.

Panicked, I checked the manual, and it said that a solid light wasn't too bad and to keep driving through several normal driving cycles, and then if it is still on, take it in. If it was a flashing light however, then it's time to worry.

Since I was due for an oil change and the dealer had sent me a coupon for a nice discount, I thought it was a perfect time to take it in. So I made an appointmet for this morning (Friday).
Of course when I started the truck this morning, the light went out...

The dealer told me that the truck runs diagnostics regularly on itself, and if it doesn't get/see/view the error (or whatever it was that told the light to go on) for three consecutive cycles, it will reset itself. This is what must have happened, as the dealer said there wasn't an error code stored in the system.

I'm thinking good news / bad news. Good that nothing major was wrong, bad news that these sensors might be really sensitive, and I could be seeing more of these (which always makes me panic).

I'm assuming that it wasn't just 'nothing', because I did notice for the two days that the light was on, that my ECO light wasn't coming on during my easy driving times. So I assume the engine wasn't shutting down some of the cylinders.. which would mean something was happening, or something had changed, to make it do that... unless of course the engine shuts off that feature when the light is on...???

I did read some other posts where people got problem codes... Not sure if anyone else experienced the light going off on it's own, with no codes, and if so, did anyone notice if the ECO was working or not?

Just worried since I will be starting to take longer drives and towing a trailer shortly, and would hate to have issues in the middle of nowhere...
Sponsored links
Old 01-31-2011, 09:28 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2004 Dakota Club Cab 4X4
Trim Level: SXT
Color: Bright Silver
Engine: 2002-2008 226ci (3.7L) Magnum/PowerTech V6 215hp 235lb/ft
Rep:1824
RamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgb503 View Post
This is what must have happened, as the dealer said there wasn't an error code stored in the system.

This is an outright LIE! It takes 40 warm up cycles for a code to be deleted by the PCM. Depending on the nature of the code, it may take 80 warm up cycles to delete the code.

The definition of a warm up cycle (as well as I recall) is the temp of the engine changing a minimum of 60 degrees.
Old 01-31-2011, 12:58 PM

Vehicle: 2009 dodge ram 1500
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Brilliant Black
Rep:713
platinuminjected is a splendid one to beholdplatinuminjected is a splendid one to beholdplatinuminjected is a splendid one to beholdplatinuminjected is a splendid one to beholdplatinuminjected is a splendid one to beholdplatinuminjected is a splendid one to beholdplatinuminjected is a splendid one to behold

check engin lights always freak me out too but i hope yours never comes on again and she runs like a dream lol
MODS... tinted windows,cf dash kit,6000 k fogs and low beam,heavy duty rubber mud flaps,recon tails 3rd break,L.E.D liscenceplate,reverse lights,factory side steps,afe intake,bakflip toneau cover,magnaflow exhaust,diablo predator,33' trail grapplers,bilstein 5100's,laminx head/fogs,shorty antenna,
Old 01-31-2011, 07:45 PM

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: White
Engine: 2009-2010 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:99
Win will become famous soon enough

^ It is actually 3 good trips to distinguish a MIL from the cluster, but will be a stored code when the vehicle is scanned, and 40 good warm-up cycles for the stored code to erase itself from whichever ECU it was stored in. Depending on the type of controller GPEC or NGC, stored codes can only be cleared by either scan-tool or battery disconnect.
And as for a warm up cycle, certain OBDII monitor parameters need to be met to classify it as a warm-up cycle, ie. certain change in engine temp as you said and a few others.
Old 01-31-2011, 08:25 PM
erm

What dealer are you going to? I want to avoid them!!!