DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > 4TH Generation Dodge Ram 2009+ Dodge Ram Trucks > Electrical

Notices

Electrical 4th Gen Dodge Ram Electrical Problems and Questions.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 12-26-2010, 07:56 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2013 QC Bighorn Ram
Trim Level: Big Horn
Color: Max Steel
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:10
NumberCruncher is on a distinguished road
Default Pre purchase question: U-Connect iPod Question

I am still deciding between a 2011 Ram and F150. From what I have gathered the U-connect for the iPod allows for integration of the unit via a glove box cable but no voice control. I can tell the truck to switch to a certain radio station but can't for example tell the iPod to, "Play Artist" or "Play Track." Is this correct?

I test drove a 2011 Ram 1500 QC last Sunday and man did it drive nice. I am worried the truck drove too nice. I know the tow rating is high enough, but does the coil link suspension handle a 7,000 pound trailer okay? I'll tow at that level rarely but expect to pull 5,000 pounds on a regular basis.

Also, the sales guy claims you can get 22 mpg with MDS active. I love hp as much as the next guy but don't mind being easy on the go-pedal for most of my driving. For cruising on level ground at 65 is an even 20 mpg realistic?

A dealer about two hours north of me has the exact Deepwater Blue Ram in stock including the 3.92 rear end and trailer brake control. I should be off work early enough on Friday that I may try to swing a last minute year end deal.

Thanks.

NC
Sponsored links
Old 12-26-2010, 08:59 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2014 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Big Horn
Color: RootBeer
Engine: 2013-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 395hp 410lb/ft
Rep:1287
RootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud of

Welcome to the Z. I recommend getting the Chrysler Maximum Care extended warranty over the other ones the dealers offer. It is far superior. Here's a link to a post I did about it that you may find useful. http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=60405

Regarding towing here's a link for determining your towing capability based on how the truck is configured, http://www.dodge.com/bodybuilder/year.pdf

Its always good to educate yourself before going to the dealer.

We have a lot of forums for all kinds of topics, so you shouldn't have any problems finding a place to post questions.

When you get your Ram, we LOVE pics of Rams.

Here's how to post them: http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=73
"A veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard, or reserve - is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The 'United States of America', for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'"
Old 02-01-2011, 11:55 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2011 Dodge Ram 3500 DRW Megaca
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: White
Rep:10
stargeezer is on a distinguished road

I tow a 8000 pound travel trailer 11-15,000 miles a year. I'm just in the process of getting rid of my last gas powered tow veh. My new Dodge ships this week.

I got 5mpg in the mountains (out west) last year with a 2009 Ford E350 v10. It DID tow great, with plenty of power - but at a steep pump price. My non-towing mileage is 12 mpg. I have driven fords for 38 years and one thing is certain about them - they get terrible gas milage.

I can't speak to Dodge's gas trucks but I know several diesel owners who get 14 mpg towing and 20 mpg unloaded. With a truck that will go 500,000 miles. Two of my friends are over that marker.

Also check the weight limit lable on the Ford hitch (the lable on the hitch) - the receiver is only rated for 7,500 pounds with WD system. Even if the towing weight limit is higher, the hitch is not heavy enough. At least this was the case on every truck I looked at a few weeks ago - even the 1 tons.

Think about your use, is this going to be the RV hauler that you also drive to work - Or is it going to be your work truck that you some times haul the rv with - weekends a hundred miles or so away with maybe a crosscountry vacation - or are you starting your lifes dream of traveling to all 49 states you can drive to?

If I could make a suggestion - a half ton is fine for the urban cowboy, but if you are going to become a real road dog or if this is a truck you will work with, a 3/4 or 1 ton will work better. If you think they look the same - check out the empty weights - my 1ton is just under 8000 pounds, most 1/2 tons are 3-4000 pounds. That weight is there for a reason, it's called hauling.