DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - General Discussion > 2011 Dodge Ram Forum

Notices

2011 Dodge Ram Forum For specific discussion of the 2011 Dodge Ram!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 01-31-2011, 08:39 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2013 Ram Sport
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Bright White
Rep:39
bigralphy is on a distinguished road
Default HIDExtra or DDM Tune HID

Ok i have decided to go with an HID kit instead of Silverstar bulbs. Now the 2 kits I have decided on are HIDExtra and DDM Tune. What do you owners of HID's recommend between the two? or is there another kit that is arouund the same ball park price. Keep in mind I am in Canada and most suppliers charge an insane amount to ship here. I cant figure out why either. It only costs half of what they charge for me to send the same size parcel down to the US.

Any help is appreciated.
Sponsored links
Old 01-31-2011, 08:51 PM
erm

Mine's a 2007 and I have a DDM kit in mine. Other than a small flicker problem at first, fixed with a resistor, everything works fine.
Old 01-31-2011, 08:54 PM

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: R/T Baby!!!
Rep:2078
chithead has a reputation beyond reputechithead has a reputation beyond reputechithead has a reputation beyond reputechithead has a reputation beyond reputechithead has a reputation beyond reputechithead has a reputation beyond reputechithead has a reputation beyond reputechithead has a reputation beyond reputechithead has a reputation beyond reputechithead has a reputation beyond reputechithead has a reputation beyond repute

I just had HIDExtra on mine, worked great, only had to get the relay harness to make sure there were no problems (the 4th gen Rams are a pain in the booty to hook up HIDs and get them to work).
Old 01-31-2011, 08:56 PM
erm

3RD generation ain't a picnic either. This is the 3rd set of HIDs I've tried and that doesn't count various changes in harness type, resistance, capacitors, relays, etc....
Old 01-31-2011, 08:59 PM

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: R/T Baby!!!
Rep:2078
chithead has a reputation beyond reputechithead has a reputation beyond reputechithead has a reputation beyond reputechithead has a reputation beyond reputechithead has a reputation beyond reputechithead has a reputation beyond reputechithead has a reputation beyond reputechithead has a reputation beyond reputechithead has a reputation beyond reputechithead has a reputation beyond reputechithead has a reputation beyond repute

Oh yeah, you have had quite the "adventure" getting a set that works well. Think I'm gonna give DDM a try when I decide to switch to the 5000K (never hurts to try new things).
Old 02-01-2011, 11:46 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2011 Dodge Ram 1500 Crew Cab
Trim Level: Sport 4x4
Color: White
Rep:213
candy08 has a spectacular aura aboutcandy08 has a spectacular aura aboutcandy08 has a spectacular aura about

I have ddm tuning 5k, plug and play with no issues!
Old 02-01-2011, 06:15 PM

Vehicle: 2009 dodge ram 1500
Color: Brilliant Black
Rep:713
platinuminjected is a splendid one to beholdplatinuminjected is a splendid one to beholdplatinuminjected is a splendid one to beholdplatinuminjected is a splendid one to beholdplatinuminjected is a splendid one to beholdplatinuminjected is a splendid one to beholdplatinuminjected is a splendid one to behold

sorry i cant give any info on either place since i know nothing about either but it wouldnt hurt to check out a local shop or kijiji
MODS... tinted windows,cf dash kit,6000 k fogs and low beam,heavy duty rubber mud flaps,recon tails 3rd break,L.E.D liscenceplate,reverse lights,factory side steps,afe intake,bakflip toneau cover,magnaflow exhaust,diablo predator,33' trail grapplers,bilstein 5100's,laminx head/fogs,shorty antenna,
Old 02-01-2011, 07:17 PM

Vehicle: 2007 & 2012 Dodge Rams
Trim Level: Sport & Power Wagon
Color: '07 - Brilliant Black, '12- Grey and Black Lower
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:970
ScatPak07 is a splendid one to beholdScatPak07 is a splendid one to beholdScatPak07 is a splendid one to beholdScatPak07 is a splendid one to beholdScatPak07 is a splendid one to beholdScatPak07 is a splendid one to beholdScatPak07 is a splendid one to beholdScatPak07 is a splendid one to behold

I have ha a kit from both of those companies. They both had problems and I have to say when it comes to HIDs you have to spend money. I bought a good kit from Retro Solutions and it made the difference. This kit worked with my DRLs and NO OTHER HID kit did that. They were the only ones to have the HID bulb work with my DRLs the other guys had a halogen bulb as the DRL. The kit is twice the price as the other companies but I believe it is worth it since you also get a lifetime warranty with it. Only problem I had with the kit was the relay harness was screwed up, this was due to something else that happened in the truck.

I am in Canada too so you will have the same problems as me. You need something to work with DRLs. Then again you have a '11 Ram which has 2 bulbs in each headlight. You shouldn't have to worry since my 07 Ram has one bulb for the high/low beams. That is what causes so many problems with the DRLs.

Its great that you all above never had problems with them but I am just sharing my personal experience. It seems like my truck is full of bad luck with HIDs haha.
Interior- Custom Gauge Face, 3 Auto Meter Gauge A-Pillar, 2 Tone Seats, 12" Kicker L7, Focal K2 Components, Dodge Door Sills, Recon LED Map & Dome lights
Exterior- 20" Moto Metal 951, 40" BFG KM2s, N-Fab W2W Black Side Steps, Recon Black Headlights & Tails+3rd Brake Light & Light Bar, Hella 500s, T-Rex X-Metal Black 1pc Grille, Tints All Around, Painted Bushwacker Pocket Flares & Door Handles & Mirrors, LoRider Tonneau Cover, Hornblasters Train Horns, Iron Bull Bumper w/PIAA Fog & Driving Lights
Old 02-01-2011, 09:28 PM

Engine: 2009-2010 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:43
BiggBerger is on a distinguished road

I am also looking to do the HID upgrade and couldnt decide between DDM or 3B but I was told that DDM is getting out of the HID market. You might wanna keep that in mind if you buy from DDM cause I dont know how that would affect the warrenty.
Old 02-02-2011, 04:31 PM

Vehicle: 2010 Ram 1500
Color: Mango
Engine: 2009-2010 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:14
MSPTNY02 is on a distinguished road

i got mine from 3bspec and work fine. only had an issue with a ballast that went bad but they took care of it ASAP. i got HID's for my lows and fogs. definitely worth the money when you see the difference at night.