DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > 3RD Generation Dodge Ram 2002 to 2008 Dodge Ram Trucks > Body & Interior

Notices

Body & Interior 3rd Gen Dodge Ram Body & Interior Problems and Questions.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 02-02-2011, 11:13 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2005 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: Laramie
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:43
GOOSE is on a distinguished road
Default Resistor

Quote:
Originally Posted by spudulike321 View Post
hi, can you tell me why you need a resistor for the interior lights? I tried a set in my ram and they did not work. as I am in the UK I used a UK supplier and thought that they just were not compatible.
Hey spud, from what the tech support told me is that Dodge Rams are kind of funny and don't really like LEDs since they draw so little power...I thought this was given over stock bulbs..lol but it's not the first time Dodge has done things kinda funny. Anyway, here is what they told me: The Dodge trucks need an electrical load on the circuit on the circuit for the computer to recognize that it needs to turn on the power. LEDs do not create this load, that is why you are having this problem. You will have to install a load resistor on the circuit to get them to work. Here is the one that you need:
LED BULB OUT WARNING FIX 25 OHM 25W LOAD RESISTOR KIT. I am going to try to get mine soon. Oh yeah, when I get it, it's coming from V-Leds.com Hope this helps some. Take care and good luck with your upgrades.

Last edited by GOOSE; 02-02-2011 at 11:15 PM.
Old 02-02-2011, 11:24 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Default Resistor

Quote:
Originally Posted by joebar61 View Post
can you tell me if the resister will make the map lights work when the doors are closed i like the upgrade too but cant get it right thank you
From what I was told by the tech guys this problem will go away once the resistor is in place. They also said that if possible try to get the resistor somewhere other than between the headliner and the roof due to the possible heat it could produce BUT they said it shouldn't be an issue at all since we don't ever use our interior lights all the time, like having the doors open for hours on end or driving with all of them on for extended periods of time. The issue I was/am having with mine right now (haven't gotten the resistor yet) is when the doors are shut and I turn the dome light on first it strobes but won't stay on completely. Then I turn the map lights on and they do the same. If I try to turn the maps on first nothing happens to any of the bulbs. YAY Dodge!
Old 02-02-2011, 11:44 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2011 dodge ram slt
Trim Level: slt
Color: bright white
Engine: 2008-???? 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 310hp 330lb/ft
Rep:306
five0addiction is a jewel in the roughfive0addiction is a jewel in the roughfive0addiction is a jewel in the roughfive0addiction is a jewel in the rough

looks awesome........

MARTIN...THE YOUNG GUN
Old 02-03-2011, 09:10 AM

Vehicle: 2005 dodge ram 1500 daytona
Trim Level: daytona slt
Color: bright silver
Rep:10
joebar61 is on a distinguished road
Default interior

thanks for your help thats what happens to me also is this something i can do let me know how you make out
Old 02-03-2011, 04:21 PM

Vehicle: 2004.5 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Molten Red/ Silver
Engine: 2004-2004 359ci (5.9L) Cummins ISB 600 24-Valve Diesel I6 325hp 600lb/ft (6-Speed Manual)
Rep:93
Poriggity will become famous soon enough

I didn't realize recon did license plate and interior lighting... I am in.. I think I'll buy some.. Looks awesome brother!
Scott
Old 02-03-2011, 05:17 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2005 dodge ram 1500
Color: silver
Rep:10
spudulike321 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOOSE View Post
Hey spud, from what the tech support told me is that Dodge Rams are kind of funny and don't really like LEDs since they draw so little power...I thought this was given over stock bulbs..lol but it's not the first time Dodge has done things kinda funny. Anyway, here is what they told me: The Dodge trucks need an electrical load on the circuit on the circuit for the computer to recognize that it needs to turn on the power. LEDs do not create this load, that is why you are having this problem. You will have to install a load resistor on the circuit to get them to work. Here is the one that you need:
LED BULB OUT WARNING FIX 25 OHM 25W LOAD RESISTOR KIT. I am going to try to get mine soon. Oh yeah, when I get it, it's coming from V-Leds.com Hope this helps some. Take care and good luck with your upgrades.
thanks Goose for the feedback. I would really appreciate it if you would let me know where and how you install the resistor and do you need only one for all the interior lights. cheers Dud
Old 02-04-2011, 04:42 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Default Resistor

Quote:
Originally Posted by spudulike321 View Post
thanks Goose for the feedback. I would really appreciate it if you would let me know where and how you install the resistor and do you need only one for all the interior lights. cheers Dud
Ok, you will only need one resistor for all the interior lights from what tech support told me. As far as install goes. I'm thinking I will first try close to the dome light if i can fit it in there. If not i'll trace the wire down the pillar and install it closer to the floor (if possible). Hope this helps.