DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - SIGS - Special Interest Groups > Military

Notices

Military Special Interest Group for members of all branches of the military, active duty or retired. - Click the badge to the right to request membership>>

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 12-30-2010, 11:41 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2011 Ram 1500 ST
Trim Level: ST
Color: Black
Engine: 2008-???? 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 310hp 330lb/ft
Rep:10
missiongoalie35 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by nate8604 View Post
You are right most who pass the asvab will say it was relatively easy that why you passed it but a good group of todays youth can't do simple math without using a calculator. School cater to kids way too much I sat down with a young man and gave him the practice test which he failed when I asked what he struggled with he told me reading the questions. Now this young man was about 4 months away from graduating and when I asked him how he manages to pass his classes he told me the teachers read everything to him and he answers the questions. As far as physical requirements you have to remember every branch is different, and we all have our own standards, for us its 3 pull-up, 45 crunches, and 1 1/2 mile in 13:30. This is the day in age of video games and computers you have no idea how many time i put a kid on my pull-up bar and he can barley manage a wiggle.
True but I wouldn't think it'd be that difficult. Now pull ups I can somewhat understand. A lot of people have issues with pull ups (me being on of them) but the computers and video games do kill a lot of things not to mention doing the dumb stupid things that made childhood fun like sledding down a hill with a couch.
Old 01-02-2011, 07:26 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 05 Ram quad cab
Trim Level: SLT 4x4
Color: light almond pearl
Engine: 2002-2007 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 235hp 295lb/ft
Rep:42
ramsport99 is on a distinguished road

I'm almost sorry I even saw this thread. I have two kids in school one a junior and one in the seventh grade. The junior made the national honor society this year and I am very proud of her. My boy...well, he struggles horribly in school for a lot of reasons and there dosn't seem to be much my wife and I can do to get him on the right track. But anyhow I see how poor the education is these kids are given today. The schools seem to be forgetting how to teach the three r's as they say. It's just not technical enough or something, here they just gave the middle school and high school kids laptops and are soooo proud of themselves for doing it. I had to run to the school awhile back and could hear a class in session where they were teaching how to use a search engine for Gods sake! These kids can't hardly write in cursive,... so many like my son struggle with basic math but by God he'll know how to search for something online. I can fully understand how kids have trouble with the asvab today they aren't taught the basics anymore....at least around here. They get a little of that and then it's straight to geometry which they can't do! Phhhtt....like I said I'm kinda sorry I found this thread.

Last edited by ramsport99; 01-02-2011 at 07:29 PM.
Old 01-29-2011, 05:32 PM
Dodge Ram Forum - Dodge Truck Forum - Dodge Ram Club

Vehicle: SRT-10
Color: Red
Engine: 2004-2006 505ci (8.3L) Viper V10 510hp 535lb/ft
Rep:434
Quiet Lunatic will become famous soon enoughQuiet Lunatic will become famous soon enoughQuiet Lunatic will become famous soon enoughQuiet Lunatic will become famous soon enoughQuiet Lunatic will become famous soon enough

i work at the Marine Corp's School of Infantry-West and have seen the changes in the Corps. A few years ago the quality got pretty lousy. this was attributed to the need for the Corps to expand for the two wars which caused us to lower our standards. Now that the Corps is going back from 220k to 200k (and possibly 180k once a-stan is over) the quality is slowy getting better again. We are just seeing less and less "dumb but fit" high school athletes and more "smart but lazy" kids who joined up because they like play a lot of the "call of duty" duty video games.
Old 01-29-2011, 05:40 PM
Dodge Ram Forum - Dodge Truck Forum - Dodge Ram Club

Vehicle: SRT-10
Color: Red
Engine: 2004-2006 505ci (8.3L) Viper V10 510hp 535lb/ft
Rep:434
Quiet Lunatic will become famous soon enoughQuiet Lunatic will become famous soon enoughQuiet Lunatic will become famous soon enoughQuiet Lunatic will become famous soon enoughQuiet Lunatic will become famous soon enough

one last thing, the ASVAB is based of precentages relative to everyone else. if you get a 99% it means you scored better than nearly everyone else. failing is scoring less than 30% of the rest of the people that took it.
Old 02-02-2011, 09:30 AM

Vehicle: 2010 Ram 1500 4X4 Hemi
Color: Brilliant Black Pearl
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:222
BLKSVT has a spectacular aura aboutBLKSVT has a spectacular aura aboutBLKSVT has a spectacular aura about

Its pitiful....if the need arises for more recruits all that goes out the window and anyone will get in. OR drafted...ASVAB what????

"MPG???...I get Smiles Per Gallon!"
2010 RAM SPORT CC 4x4 Hemi
Diablo Tuner, Mufflex 14, Bilstein 5100 leveling shocks, 3.5 lift, 35 in mud tires
Old 02-03-2011, 07:50 AM

Vehicle: 2014 VW Jetta GLI
Color: Metalic Black
Rep:1358
Excoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud of

I've heard that the problem is the kids, the educational system, society, parents. I believe the problem of the kids not being able to pass the exam is the simple fact that they're not trying very hard. Today's kids are lazy, I think it's as simple as that, they will do only what they have to, in order to get away with it.

My wife teaches high school chemistry. She has discovered that it's next to impossible to teach those who don't wish to learn. There has to be effort on the part of the student in order for the teacher to effectively do his/ her job. If the students are not stepping up to the plate, it's up to the parents to make 'em step up. I've seen this first hand with my own son. He's very lazy (I'll admit he gets it from me, but I've learned that I've got to do what I've got to do), he will not do any more than he has to, nor will he put forth any more than the minimum effort, unless he's forced to do so.

As a parent, I take the time to make sure that he has all of his homework completed. I make sure that he studies for each and every test, often a few minutes every night, even if he doesn't want to. He does it anyway, afterwords I quiz him on the material. This typically will piss him off, but he learns the material. If the parents make sure their kids learn the basics, then we won't have so many ignorant teenagers and young adults that will grow up into ignorant adults.

I will step down off my soap box, but please, don't blame the education system, our teachers are doing the best they can with what they've got to work with, blame the parents and the lazy students

Exco
Oracle Interior LEDs, EGR Vent Visors, Ram eyes, Husky Liner Splash Guards, R/T Badges Front and Rear, LED Light Bar, Stubby Radio Antenna, Custom Shift Knob, ARE LS II bed cover, Bed Rug, Flowmaster 50 series HD, SilverStar Ultra low beams, K&N drop in filter, MOPAR sill guards, Smitty Built nerf bars, 24% tint on the front.
Bill
Old 02-07-2011, 12:10 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Vehicle: 2006 Ram 1500 Mega Cab
Trim Level: Laramie / SLT
Color: Lt Khaki Metalic
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:13
clarkjm is on a distinguished road

Lazy kids, lazy parents, frustrated teachers, unmotivated administrators and a Federal system that thinks even the most brain dead kids should graduate with a 4.0 My daughter taught High School science/chemistry in a "combat school". What a nightmare! These kids did not care, and knew that they would pass no matter what they scored on a test. She was not allowed to give any grade below a 60%, even when they scored 2% on a test.

I don't doubt for a minute that this country is in trouble. With domestic terrorist running the white house and most of the government, what would you expect? Sorry for the soap box, just my 3 cents worth.

DoC