DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > 2ND Generation Dodge Ram 1994 to 2001 Dodge Ram Trucks > Powertrain > Cummins Diesel Specific Topics

Notices

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 01-23-2011, 12:51 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2000 Dodge Ram 2500 Quad 4x4
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Blue
Engine: 1999-2000 359ci (5.9L) Cummins ISB 24-Valve Diesel I6 235hp 460lb/ft (manual)
Rep:10
Bunchgrass is on a distinguished road
Default 2000 Ram 4WD shifting

Well - I finally got back here after a few weeks. My problem w/ my PU is with the vacuum pump and lines that operate the 4WD system (obviously on the front axle). 4WD doesn't engage very quickly when shifted at the transfer case - dealer checked it and said vacuum pump needed rebuild plus lines are probably in need of replacement. Throw in a differential and transfer case service and I'm in $1100.

That's too much for my pocket so I'll need to do it myself. Any pointers on the diff/transfer case service? Or the other work for that matter?

Especially interested in diagrams/directions for replacement/rebuilding the pump.

OR - I've seen an aftermarket sit that does away w/ the whole vacuum CAD system (forget the name right now) - it even provides you w/ 2WD low. Anyone have experience/opinions about what route to take? BTW - the aftermarket setup costs about what I'll pay for OEM parts.

Thanks.
Sponsored links
Old 01-23-2011, 12:58 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: '01 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Sport with Off-Road
Color: Intense Blue
Engine: 1998-2001 360ci (5.9L) Magnum V8 245hp(standard), 250hp(Sport package)
Rep:1588
Toms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant future

There is a conversion kit to make the front axle mechanically controlled . The transfer case and differential service shouldn't cost a arm and a leg to do . I think the conversion is about $200.00 for the kit . Heres a link to the kit . http://www.4x4posi-lok.com/app_dodge.html . I'm not up on my diesels I'd be careful if they say the vacuum pump needs to be rebuilt . It may supply vacuum to other components also .
Old 01-23-2011, 07:52 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2000 Dodge Ram 2500 Quad 4x4
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Blue
Engine: 1999-2000 359ci (5.9L) Cummins ISB 24-Valve Diesel I6 235hp 460lb/ft (manual)
Bunchgrass is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toms Blue Ram 1500 View Post
There is a conversion kit to make the front axle mechanically controlled . The transfer case and differential service shouldn't cost a arm and a leg to do . I think the conversion is about $200.00 for the kit . Heres a link to the kit . http://www.4x4posi-lok.com/app_dodge.html . I'm not up on my diesels I'd be careful if they say the vacuum pump needs to be rebuilt . It may supply vacuum to other components also .

Hey Tom,

Thanks for the response - I think posi-lok was the kit I referred to. Do you know if it is "reputable"? There's plenty of crap out there so I'm just wary.

The dealer feels my vacuum is inadequate hence the pump rebuild ($128 parts & $238 labor) and suggested replacement of the plastic vacuum lines ($70 parts & $159 labor). Throw in $329 labor for Front/Rear differential service and $50 for transfer case and ba boom over $1000 (even $77 tax). I don't see why they'd suggest rebuilding the pump when you can just buy one for almost nothing.

So your concern is over whether the vacuum system that runs the 4WD system may also be hooked to something else that requires vacuum that may be impacted if I go with the posi-lok setup? Don't think so but hadn't really looked into that.
Old 02-10-2011, 12:40 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2011 Dodge Ram Outdoorsman
Trim Level: Outdoorsman
Color: Green & Gray
Engine: 2009-2010 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
wbodine is on a distinguished road

Talk to this man @ www.fixinrams.com.