DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 5.7 HEMI V8 > MDS

Notices

MDS Multi Displacement System Discussion

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 12-08-2010, 07:20 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2011 Chevy 3500HD
Rep:1287
RootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud of
Default When the MDS Functions Per the Engineers

Here's more from the Engineers.

Quote:
MDS will function when the engine speed is between 1000 and 3000 rpm, and the engine is hot. Then whenever the torque required to move the vehicle is able to be met with 4 cylinders the engine will switch to MDS mode.
Edit: they added that in order to tell if MDS is on/kicked in the ECO light on the EVIC will show. Therefore, no need for any kind of MDS light.
"A veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard, or reserve - is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The 'United States of America', for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'"

Last edited by RootBeer; 12-08-2010 at 08:31 PM.
Sponsored links
Old 12-12-2010, 08:26 PM
erm

Good info, Brian!
Old 12-22-2010, 01:47 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Vehicle: 2009 Ram 1500 Crew Cab 2wd
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: Two-tone Red/Stone
Engine: 2009-2010 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:10
xploded is on a distinguished road

Thanks.

Is an "ECO" light the same as a "Fuel Saver" light? I have an 09 and fuel saver comes on all the time, but I have never seen ECO.
Old 12-22-2010, 01:59 PM

RootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud of

Should be the same thing. Easiest way to know for sure is to look at the RPM and whether you're not accelerating but just maintaining speed.
"A veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard, or reserve - is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The 'United States of America', for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'"
Old 12-22-2010, 03:34 PM

Vehicle: 2010 Ram Crewcab 1500
Trim Level: TRX4
Color: Email: Chili1k@att.net
Rep:1092
Chili1K has much to be proud ofChili1K has much to be proud ofChili1K has much to be proud ofChili1K has much to be proud ofChili1K has much to be proud ofChili1K has much to be proud ofChili1K has much to be proud ofChili1K has much to be proud of

Ahh soo much answered.. so the ECO light in the Evic IS on in mds mode. That's the only clue I have when MDS is on. I can't tell from sound or anything. I dont have the growl or groan as some say they hear when its on. I guess Im lucky to not hear it. I do notice when it is on it takes a little bit to kick back into all 8 when I have to do evasive maneuvers.

Good find Brian.
Old 01-19-2011, 12:55 AM

Vehicle: 2010 Ram Crew Cab
Color: Bright White
Engine: 2009-???? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:14
JRI is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by RootBeer View Post
Here's more from the Engineers.

Edit: they added that in order to tell if MDS is on/kicked in the ECO light on the EVIC will show. Therefore, no need for any kind of MDS light.
There have been posts on this that say the ECO light does not always mean the the vehicle is running on 4 cylinders but that you are simply driving in a fuel efficient manner.

So am I to take this as the latest and official word that the ECO light means that the vehicle is only running 4 cylinders when it is on?
Old 01-19-2011, 01:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRI View Post
There have been posts on this that say the ECO light does not always mean the the vehicle is running on 4 cylinders but that you are simply driving in a fuel efficient manner.

So am I to take this as the latest and official word that the ECO light means that the vehicle is only running 4 cylinders when it is on?
That's what the engineers said.
Old 02-08-2011, 05:43 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram 2WD
Color: Blue
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
chadob69 is on a distinguished road

I have never seen any such light. I have an 09 also but have never seen any indication that MDS has kicked in. I have all highway drive to work(about 15 miles) and have never seen it. Is there a way to turn it on and off?
Old 02-10-2011, 01:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chadob69 View Post
I have never seen any such light. I have an 09 also but have never seen any indication that MDS has kicked in. I have all highway drive to work(about 15 miles) and have never seen it. Is there a way to turn it on and off?
If you are driving in D not 5 it will appear at the top of the display centered in your dash above the steering column.

Its not on in this pic, but it would be between the NE and 85F. That is if you have a 1500 1/2 ton.

Last edited by RootBeer; 02-10-2011 at 02:08 PM.
Old 02-10-2011, 03:18 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Vehicle: 2009 Ram 1500 Crew Cab 2wd
Color: Two-tone Red/Stone
Engine: 2009-2010 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
xploded is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by chadob69 View Post
I have learned in a different thread in here that our 09's do not have an ECO light and instead have a "Fuel Saver" light. I have been told they mean the same exact thing. The fuel saver light is also on the EVIC and the light come on at the lower right corner of the EVIC instead of the top center.

If you do not see the fuel saver light ever, I believe you may need a reflash of your ECU at the dealer to remedy that. Search around in here, and you will find threads discussing the new ECU flash.