DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > 2ND Generation Dodge Ram 1994 to 2001 Dodge Ram Trucks > Powertrain > 5.9L V8 Specific Topics

Notices

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 02-08-2011, 03:33 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 1999 Dodge Ram 5.9
Engine: 1998-2001 360ci (5.9L) Magnum V8 245hp(standard), 250hp(Sport package)
Rep:10
paccepounder is on a distinguished road
Default Need Help with Interesting Spark Knock

Hello Everyone! Thanks in advance for any help offered. I am new to these forums.

I have 99 1500 5.9L about 155K miles on her.

I am getting the wonderful spark knock noise after she is warned up significantly - I have to drive it for at least 20 minutes and then knock is there, but it is fairly loud. I did not pull the plugs or look at anything my self. I did run gas cleaner through it once and the knock went away for that tank.

I brought it to a mechanic (my friend, someone I trust) who pulled the 8th plug and said he saw coolant on it. (I never saw it). I am going to pull it tonight and look for myself.

He did a compression test and everything is normal on it though. It checked out fine on the compression.

Plenum gasket? Small leak in head gasket?

About 6 months ago it overheated due to a bad radiator. There was coolant spraying out. I changed the radiator and all seemed well for a few months.

I am wondering if somehow coolant made it into the spark plug well were it was sitting, and when he pulled the plug it leaked down? Seems far fetched, but I am running out of ideas on how compression was good, but coolant was there?

What would you guys do?

My plan is replace plenum gasket, run some sea foam through it, then replace plugs and wires and hope for the best.

Thanks again for any input!
Also, I see a lot of mixed opinions on what is the best plenum gasket replacement?
Sponsored links
Old 02-11-2011, 10:24 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Vehicle: 2001 Dodge Ram
Color: White w/blue trim & chrome
Engine: 2001-2003 359ci (5.9L) Cummins ISB 24-Valve Diesel I6 235hp 460lb/ft (manual and auto)
Rep:10
RAMIT222 is on a distinguished road

Hi, before I started this engine ever again you NEED to see if you have coolant in the oil. Pull the drain plug & check. The coolant will rest on your main bearings on your crank not allowing oil into those areas. That could be catastrofic for this Mopar. You can always pressure test for the coolant leak after but you may have one or more leaks. Get these repaired also.