DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > 4TH Generation Dodge Ram 2009+ Dodge Ram Trucks > Towing

Notices

Towing 4th Gen Dodge Ram Towing Questions

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 02-13-2011, 04:15 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2001 2500 ext cab long bed
Trim Level: sport
Color: Black
Engine: 2001-2003 359ci (5.9L) Cummins ISB 24-Valve Diesel I6 235hp 460lb/ft (manual and auto)
Rep:77
67Polara will become famous soon enough

i agree with the above, but a helpful thing if u do still want to pull them out, make up some sort of form on ur pc stateing that your at no fault for any damages caused to there vehicle. have a section where you can document what you did. have them fill out there info ask to see there id and have them sign it.
Old 02-13-2011, 09:24 AM

Vehicle: 1999 dodge ram
Trim Level: 1500
Color: Green
Engine: 1994-2001 239ci (3.9L) Magnum V6 175hp
Rep:56
foolioGrimz will become famous soon enough

ive got a climbing rope my dad had. Ive towed with it use it to tie stuff down, and ive pulled down some good size mesquite trees with it. googling.... oops just use a tow strap, that stuffs like 200 bucks.

good stuff though.
mods-Ranch hand Brush guard, superchip tuner, 75 gal transfer tank, 4.10 gears with detroit locker, 305/70-16 BFG mudders, 2" lift, Chrome Edelbrock carb filter with throttle body mod, and a short glasspack.
Old 02-13-2011, 02:06 PM

Vehicle: 2011 Ram Crew Cab 4x4
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: Deep Cherry
Engine: 2009-2010 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:92
JHamilton will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by PorkChop View Post
never use chains, they break too easy and when they do they cause damage, i dont like your standard tow slings...there meant for you average baby cars, i have a few crane slings that i got at "titan supply" but can be found at any rigging supply company, it have a 5:1 safety ratio and a 26000lb lifting capacity and when you use it in a horizontal scenario it is 5 times the lifting capacity so 130000lb capacity, and if that still isnt enough for ya, if you basket it it will double again giving me a 260000lb capacity. the strap is 25' long and 3" wide, and totaly overkill i know but it was on the discount rack for $30. for the average person there are nylon slings that have an 8800lb capacity, there lightweight and superstrong (44000lb pull capacity before safety ratio of 5:1)and fit in the truck noproblem. plus theyre only about 25-20$
Using a strap that is too heavy will not work as well as one properly sized. You want the strap to stretch. The kinetic energy stored and released within the strap is actually what will pull it loose. Let the strap do the work, not the truck.
Old 02-13-2011, 04:36 PM

Vehicle: 2009 Ram 1500
Trim Level: ST 2X4
Color: Bright Silver Metalic
Engine: 2008-20?? 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 310hp 330lb/ft
Rep:236
GPSHSLAX has a spectacular aura aboutGPSHSLAX has a spectacular aura aboutGPSHSLAX has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by foolioGrimz View Post
ive got a climbing rope my dad had. Ive towed with it use it to tie stuff down, and ive pulled down some good size mesquite trees with it. googling.... oops just use a tow strap, that stuffs like 200 bucks.

good stuff though.
I hope when you say climbing rope you actually mean static cord such as is used in repelling. All good climbing rope is dynamic and streches when under stress to reduce the force absorbed by falling climber. It is usually rated for only a few falls as it weakens and lengthens with each fall. If it is truely climbing rope and you've used it to pull down mequite trees, throw it out before it breaks on you.

Mods: Thule Xsporter 422XT bed rack, Underrail Rhinolining, MOPAR class IV Hitch, DIY CAI, Aero Turbine 3030.
Future Mods/Wishlist: Tuner, Daystar Comfort Ride 1.5" Leveling kit, Nerf Bars, Police style push bumper with light guards, KC or Thule trail lights, HID projector lights.
Old 02-13-2011, 04:39 PM

Vehicle: 2009 Ram 1500
Trim Level: ST 2X4
Color: Bright Silver Metalic
Engine: 2008-20?? 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 310hp 330lb/ft
Rep:236
GPSHSLAX has a spectacular aura aboutGPSHSLAX has a spectacular aura aboutGPSHSLAX has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by RootBeer View Post
NEVER tow in reverse.
I did not know that. Out of curiousity ... why not? Bad for the tranny? It doesn't affect me as I don't have tow hooks but I had no idea it would be a bad thing use to pull someone out.

Mods: Thule Xsporter 422XT bed rack, Underrail Rhinolining, MOPAR class IV Hitch, DIY CAI, Aero Turbine 3030.
Future Mods/Wishlist: Tuner, Daystar Comfort Ride 1.5" Leveling kit, Nerf Bars, Police style push bumper with light guards, KC or Thule trail lights, HID projector lights.
Old 02-13-2011, 04:50 PM

Vehicle: 2014 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Big Horn
Color: RootBeer
Engine: 2013-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 395hp 410lb/ft
Rep:1287
RootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPSHSLAX View Post
I did not know that. Out of curiousity ... why not? Bad for the tranny? It doesn't affect me as I don't have tow hooks but I had no idea it would be a bad thing use to pull someone out.
Couple of reasons.

1. If the cable or whatever is hooked to the stuck vehicle comes off it can fly back and hit you even through the windshield. I tried that trick with my 76 Power Wagon and almost ate a come-along.

2. Reverse really isn't a power/torque gear.
"A veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard, or reserve - is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The 'United States of America', for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'"
Old 02-13-2011, 05:52 PM

Vehicle: 1999 dodge ram
Trim Level: 1500
Color: Green
Engine: 1994-2001 239ci (3.9L) Magnum V6 175hp
Rep:56
foolioGrimz will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPSHSLAX View Post
I hope when you say climbing rope you actually mean static cord such as is used in repelling. All good climbing rope is dynamic and streches when under stress to reduce the force absorbed by falling climber. It is usually rated for only a few falls as it weakens and lengthens with each fall. If it is truely climbing rope and you've used it to pull down mequite trees, throw it out before it breaks on you.

ya u must be right. its not that stretchy
mods-Ranch hand Brush guard, superchip tuner, 75 gal transfer tank, 4.10 gears with detroit locker, 305/70-16 BFG mudders, 2" lift, Chrome Edelbrock carb filter with throttle body mod, and a short glasspack.
Old 02-13-2011, 05:58 PM

Vehicle: 1999 regular short box sport
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Black
Engine: 1994-2001 318ci (5.2L) Magnum V8 220hp
Rep:140
Dennyboy will become famous soon enoughDennyboy will become famous soon enough

I will only tow a vehicle if it has a tow point. if they don't have one then i will either bring them to the nearest gas station. Or if they want i can wait with them in my truck.

If you don't stand behind our troops, PLEASE feel free to stand in front of them.
Old 02-13-2011, 09:22 PM

Vehicle: 2009 ram 1500
Trim Level: sport
Color: brillian black
Engine: 2009-2010 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:75
PorkChop will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHamilton View Post
Using a strap that is too heavy will not work as well as one properly sized. You want the strap to stretch. The kinetic energy stored and released within the strap is actually what will pull it loose. Let the strap do the work, not the truck.
though this is true, for the places i liek to go and people i pull out (usually jeeps with 40+ swampers) when they get stuck, theyre stuck and you need extremely strong ropes, ive snapped the 8800lb one before trying to pull out a 3/4 ton chev
Old 02-14-2011, 05:26 PM

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram 1500 4WD
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Gray
Rep:10
NewMexicoRam is on a distinguished road

If they aren't hurt I'll wait with them for a tow truck or give them a ride to the nearest town or call for them on the cell. Many years ago my brother and I were deer hunting in the Sierras in California and came upon some guys that had slid off the road. At the time my brother had a brand new 1972 Power Wagon 1/2 ton 4wd. Just as he pulled the high centered truck free the rope broke. Mr bro had stock tires (700 by 15's) if I remember correctly. At the instant the rope broke my bros. truck lurched forward and he hit a rock with the right side 4wd hub and sheared it completely off. The other guys didn't even offer to help pay for the damage. It cost my brother $200 to fix it. That was the last time he ever offered to pull a stuck vehicle.