DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > Dodge Ram Detailing and General Maintenance Forum

Notices

Dodge Ram Detailing and General Maintenance Forum Wax on, Wax off! Chat about anything that gives you Carpal Tunnel or Tennis Elbow in here! ;)

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 02-13-2011, 03:07 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:10
scooper77515 is on a distinguished road

I know, old thread, but here is an update...

I took the air doohicky off the top today to make it easier to get to the spark plugs (the doohicky with 5.7 Hemi written on it). Swapped out the crossover spark plug wires (first time in 176,000 miles) and swapped out plugs with NGK plugs. I noticed that the throttle body was NASTY looking. Took it off, cleaned it with toothbrush and q-tips and throttle-body cleaner (sprayed into a shot glass, not onto the throttle body).

Apparently, all those times I took it in for a "tune up" they never touched the throttle body. It was gummed up and crusted with varnish and a carbon-ish looking crud. I got it shiny and clean, then cleaned out the top half of the air cleaner housing, which also had some gum in it (from my K&N filter, I guess). Cleaned out the flexible tube, and the HEMI plastic doohicky, and gently wiped down the sensor in the front of it after removing it. Cleaned out the PCV valve.

Also, noticed that the dealer "forgot" to install a couple of the bolts that hold down the coil packs. The two most difficult ones to get to, coincidentally.

ALSO...they didn't use anti seize on the spark plugs so they were difficult to remove (onlly 25,000 miles since last "tune up".)

Anyway, to make a long story short...I am not ever taking it in for a "tune up" again. You just don't get what you are paying for.

It took me a good slow and deliberate 4 hours to do all of this, but it is a lot easier when you take all that stuff off the top and get it out of the way. I didn't nick any knuckles and didn't cheese grate my arms either.
Old 02-13-2011, 03:12 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2004 Dakota Club Cab 4X4
Trim Level: SXT
Color: Bright Silver
Engine: 2002-2008 226ci (3.7L) Magnum/PowerTech V6 215hp 235lb/ft
Rep:1824
RamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant future

In all fairness, servicing the fuel/air system isn't part of what's called a tune up these days. There's no excuse for not reinstalling the coil pack bolts, so I won't even try to defend that half-assed action. As for the anti-seize, I'm a staunch supporter of its use but some on here would argue it isn't needed on plugs!
Old 02-13-2011, 03:41 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram 1500 2X4
Trim Level: quad cab SLT
Color: sunburst orange pearl
Rep:2608
GTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond repute

I am just about to turn 40,000 miles on my '09 Ram
I will be going to the DYNO Shop here in town & getting a fuel system clean, tranny & differential fluid change & possibly have them do a DYNO run before & after, just for the hell of it
http://www.thedynoshop.com/
Ram 1500 SLT Quad cab, 5.7 HEMI(R) MDS VCT, 5 speed auto 545RFE, 3.55 differential gears, 18" Magnaflow muffler, EGR bug deflector, Bushwacker fender flares, customized Nfab nerf bars, CB radio, Autonet wi-fi router, custom soft tonneau cover, Line_X bedliner, DEBO Step, build date 10/15/08 a Wednesday built vehicle
Old 02-13-2011, 03:52 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

i would LOVE to see before and after dyno sheets following a tune-up! I enjoy fiddling with stuff and dyno-ing before and after. Did it with my maverick, FUN FUN FUN...http://www.youtube.com/user/TheScoop.../7/7DM5dvxl1ZQ

Mine is an 04, and I "assumed" they were cleaning the throttle body. Apparently not!

I cannot complain, though. My 04 Hemi is still pulling 20-21 mpg on the highway. Yes, this is as-per the on-board computer up above the windshield. I have heard that it is generous, so I ran a tank and calculated it by the pump numbers, and it was within .5 mph of the on board computer, so I am amped to have a full sized truck that pulls those kinds of numbers.

I drive 200 miles per day about 2 days a week, and over 100 miles per day the rest of the week, so good mpgs are important for me.

Last edited by scooper77515; 02-13-2011 at 04:08 PM.
Old 02-13-2011, 03:57 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

One thing I had happen during today's tune-up that concerned me....

After I put everything back together, and started it up the first time, it revved up and down for about 10 seconds then died. Did this 2 or 3 times. No "check engine" light. Just died after revving up and down.

I put my engine diagnostic computer on it, and it took a while to get through the diags. Then it said "no codes found" so I fired it up again and it purred like a kitten.

My question is...Did the engine slowly recalibrate over time to function with the gummed up parts, and get confused when it started up all clean and new-like? Or did I maybe get some carb cleaner on the mass-airflow sensor or maybe in the throttle-body controller, and it just needed to burn it off?

Kinda worried me for a second, but runs GREAT now!
Old 02-13-2011, 04:07 PM

RamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooper77515 View Post
My question is...Did the engine slowly recalibrate over time to function with the gummed up parts, and get confused when it started up all clean and new-like? Or did I maybe get some carb cleaner on the mass-airflow sensor or maybe in the throttle-body controller, and it just needed to burn it off?

Kinda worried me for a second, but runs GREAT now!
I would say from experience that it's from the PCM relearning where the throttle blade needs to be for correct idle speed. Carb or TB cleaner can cause problems if it gets into the electronics of the ETC system but from the way you describe cleaning the TB, you should be ok. As for a mass airflow sensor, your truck doesn't have one.
Old 02-13-2011, 04:28 PM

Vehicle: 09 Ram
Trim Level: TRX
Color: Black
Engine: 2009-2010 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:15
donn12 is on a distinguished road

You're paying for his boat
Old 02-13-2011, 04:45 PM

Vehicle: 2002 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Flame Red
Engine: 2002-2007 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 235hp 295lb/ft
Rep:158
SslagleZ28 has a spectacular aura aboutSslagleZ28 has a spectacular aura about

IDK who would be against anti-seize. Its probably the greatest stuff ever invented lol. I say this because the spark plugs on my LT1 Z28 are hard enough to change without the trouble of them being stuck. Havent done a swap onthe truck yet, that will be this spring.

Also never pay for a shop to clean your fuel system 1 chances are they say they did it charge you for it and didnt, and 2 you can grab a can of seafoam dump it in your tank and it will do the samething. Also you can use that seafoam to clean out your vacuum system. Im not exactly sure what tube you disconect to do it on the Ram, but i do it on my car atleast 2 times a year. you can also use seafoam in your oil, once a year i will change my oil along with addign a can of seafoam and then run it for 250miles and change it again. Im a huge fan of seafoam if you cant tell

Semper FI
Old 02-13-2011, 04:59 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Quote:
As for a mass airflow sensor, your truck doesn't have one.
What is that little sensor on the front of the 5.7 HEMI air-cover doohicky? Right in front, with a small wire harness hooked up to it?

I took it out and cleaned it up. Inside, it looked kinda like a small christmas tree light. Two little wire connectors with a small plastic-coated sensor on the tip. Very fragile looking thing.
Old 02-13-2011, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooper77515 View Post
What is that little sensor on the front of the 5.7 HEMI air-cover doohicky? Right in front, with a small wire harness hooked up to it?

I took it out and cleaned it up. Inside, it looked kinda like a small christmas tree light. Two little wire connectors with a small plastic-coated sensor on the tip. Very fragile looking thing.
That's the intake air temp sensor (IAT) and you're right, they are a little on the fragile side.