DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > 2ND Generation Dodge Ram 1994 to 2001 Dodge Ram Trucks > Powertrain > 5.9L V8 Specific Topics

Notices

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 02-17-2011, 01:46 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 1998 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Black
Engine: 1993-1993 360ci (5.9L) Magnum V8 230hp 325lb/ft
Rep:10
crazybry79 is on a distinguished road
Default OK....lets back up...or not

JUST bought a 1998 Ram, 360, auto, 4x4, 137k. Bought the truck with a "bad trans".

Previous owners description of problem. "I was coming home and it stopped, but it would still back up."

Pushed the truck out of previous owners garage (forward) and rolled it onto street. Put truck into reverse, and backed it on trailer. Noticed reverse seemed a bit soft, but it had enough gusto to spin the tires on the slippery/wet wood trailer deck. I needed to move the truck back a touch further. Put the truck in reverse....nothing. So, while I was hooking up the chains, I noticed it was leaking trans fluid (from where Im not sure...it was dark out, and wasn't messing with it at the time).

Now my First thought, was, hey, it broke a line (or whatnot) and its simply low on fluid. But, I shot that idea down simply because there was no forward, but yet there was reverse.....

Any common problems here? Am I thinking on the wrong lines?

I wont have the time to pull the truck into the shop until tonight, so I thought I would get comments and suggestions.

As a note of experience, I have been working on vehicles for 15 years, as a hobby, and professionally.

Obviously, I am going to locate the leak, and fill the fluid to the appropriate level, and go from there.....
Sponsored links
Old 02-17-2011, 07:03 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 1998 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Black
Engine: 1993-1993 360ci (5.9L) Magnum V8 230hp 325lb/ft
Rep:10
crazybry79 is on a distinguished road

Update: Pulled truck in. In park, nothing leaks. Also noted transmission was definatly over filled (guessing previous owner dumped mass quantities in attempting to remedy the problem). When truck is put in reverse it will now go in reverse again (no forward though) Also, trans fluid runs out by the torque converter sheet metal cover when the truck is in gear - a steady stream, not just a drip.....

Anyways, ordered a used tranny. Truck is on the schedual to come in to R&R transmission.

Any pointers on R&R of this tranny? Ive heard the crossmember can be a PITA.

I also have a 2 post hoist. Am I better off doing the job in the air, or leave it on the ground for transmission handling?

Thanx again!
Old 02-18-2011, 08:10 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 1998 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4
Trim Level: SLT Laramie quad cab
Color: red
Engine: 1994-2001 318ci (5.2L) Magnum V8 220hp
Rep:52
98redbull2 will become famous soon enough

the crossmember is pretty straight forward just 8 bolts the top ones are a little harder to get too. just need some extensions.