DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > 2ND Generation Dodge Ram 1994 to 2001 Dodge Ram Trucks > Powertrain > 5.9L V8 Specific Topics

Notices

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 12-04-2008, 12:12 PM
dacota1950

Default cant figure it out

hi there, im new to this site... heres my problem, i hope yall can help. Alrighty well i am having troubles with my truck, it seems to be missing and runs rough.. plugs, wires, distributer cap, and rotor are all brand new and it still doesnt run right.. Plugs are gapped correctly. the truck seems to idol fine but when im in low rpms, it shakes as though it has a cam in it but smooths out as the rpms are higher. I dont know much about dodge pickups so i thought ide pass it on to you guys.

it all started out when i was on my way, moving to south dakota. i had a snowmobile trailer i was pulling filled with my stuff, plus the bed of the truck was full. a few hours into the trip it was like my 5th gear was going out... like i was losing power. so i ended up driving in 4th the last 5 hours off the drive. my check engine light turned on right as i drove into the parking lot of the apartments. but has not gone on sense. now there is something just not right with the truck and i cant figure it out...

its a 1995 dodge ram 1500. 5 speed with a 360 5.9 liter engine
Sponsored links
Old 12-04-2008, 06:08 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2001 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 w/318
Trim Level: Ext. cab Laramie SLT
Color: White w/ graphics
Rep:19
Unbridled is on a distinguished road

I wouldn't worry too much about the check engine light coming on during the move. You didn't say where you were moving from, but if you went through some elevation changes and/or used the AC off and on, you could get a "soft" engine code that goes away. I think there was as service bulletin about this but I can't find it right now. If the light hasn't come on since then, you shouldn't have a hard code going on.

As far as the miss, I would say to check the fuel filter but it is a pain on our trucks as the filter is in the fuel tank (I think your 95 is like that too.) Instead of dropping the gas tank, you might be able to tell something with a fuel pressure guage.

Just my thoughts.

Good luck and welcome!
Old 12-04-2008, 07:05 PM

Vehicle: 2008 Hemi Ram
Trim Level: SLT
Color: White
Rep:62
boostjunkie1 will become famous soon enough
Red face

IAT sensor, EGR, O2 Sensor, Air Filter, - - - - - - -BUT, it sounds to me like the truck could be pulling timing? OR compression is down on a few cylinders. That is why lugging in 5th was not good enough for the weight you were pulling and 4th keeps the RPM's high enough. I did this on a 95 dakota with a 5spd. I lugged the engine going over a mountain with a boat in tow and blew a piston ring. Loss compression on a cylinder that then started drinking oil. Traded that thing in soon after.
Old 12-04-2008, 08:37 PM
dacota1950

well i am from from the twin cities (minnesota) and i moved to rapid city so there is a elevation change.... thanks for the advise guys. if any one can think of anything else it might be please let me know... thanks again everyone
Old 12-04-2008, 10:52 PM
CrazyCooter88

I had a friend that had the same problem with his 95 and ended up be a combo of the IAT sensor, MAP sensor, and dist. gear. I would check the sensors which if you call your local dealer and talk to a tech (if you dont get a *******) he can tell you how to test the sensor to see if they are good or bad. If you cant get no info just get back with me and I will check on Alldata at my school I go to (Nascar Tech) and let you know.
Old 12-11-2008, 11:21 AM
dacota1950

Angry

well i found out what the poblem is guys... i have burnt up valves. i have low compression in cylinder 6 and absolutly no compression in cylinder 8. looks like if i have soemone fix it its going to be about a grand to fix...
Old 12-11-2008, 11:25 AM

Vehicle: 2010 Jeep Patriot
Trim Level: Latitude
Color: Brilliant Black
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:40
DaveDees is on a distinguished road

Wow, sorry to hear that. Hope you get it fixed better than new. Much luck to you.

All articles that coruscate with resplendence are not truly auriferous.