DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Off Topic > Off Topic Discussion

Notices

Off Topic Discussion Anything goes in here! Well, almost!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 02-28-2011, 10:49 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge 1500
Trim Level: Big Horn
Color: Cool Vanilla
Engine: 2009-2010 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:37
inkdemon is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to inkdemon Send a message via Yahoo to inkdemon

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinned View Post
Like most vehicle codes, the police are exempt from them while conducting official business, which we use our cell phones most of the time. Who are you to judge and ASSume that police are BSing and not obtaining information about crime in progress that they are in response to? I use my cell phone about 2-3 hours a day for official business including talking to dispatch to keep the radio clear for priority traffic, talking to victims about their loss/injuries/suspect information, talking to my partners obtaining or giving advice about a particular call, talking to suspects and attempting to set them up or persuade them to give up, talking to my boss, etc...

And yeah, we give LOTS of warnings. Something things I won't give warnings for. Stuff like blinding me with off road lights while on the highway would be an example of that.
Like I said if he was doing something he knew was wrong so be it. Must have hit a nerve on the phone thing though. Officers like any other official shouldn't be above the laws that they are enforcing. My oppinion and I am entitled to it. You have important business that you need to use a cell phone,pull over. Even though you are a trained official I'm sure the phone is a distraction to a p[point like any other person. NO ASSumptions were made in the observation or comment. As for being blinded by lights thats fair in saying you don't deserve the courtesy of a warning. Some legal lights are a bit too bright out of the factory when a big SUV is on the road and the person in front or coming at them is in a small or lower vehicle. We can go back and forth on this but the fact remains that cell phones should not be in play when you have walkie talkies/radios. Wich were bought and installed for "official" business. My remark wasn't intended to be pointed at you as I don't even know you. Just an observation of many an officer who ride around laughiung and smiling as the converse on the cells. And I can bet they don't love their jobs that much. But to say yeah the silly for the cop to be doing what he's paid to do,Well We get to say sarcastic things back. 'nuff said. Not looking for a pissing match either.
Old 02-28-2011, 11:11 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2011 Dodge Ram
Color: Black
Rep:5
sinned is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by inkdemon View Post
Like I said if he was doing something he knew was wrong so be it. Must have hit a nerve on the phone thing though. Officers like any other official shouldn't be above the laws that they are enforcing. My oppinion and I am entitled to it. You have important business that you need to use a cell phone,pull over. Even though you are a trained official I'm sure the phone is a distraction to a p[point like any other person. NO ASSumptions were made in the observation or comment. As for being blinded by lights thats fair in saying you don't deserve the courtesy of a warning. Some legal lights are a bit too bright out of the factory when a big SUV is on the road and the person in front or coming at them is in a small or lower vehicle. We can go back and forth on this but the fact remains that cell phones should not be in play when you have walkie talkies/radios. Wich were bought and installed for "official" business. My remark wasn't intended to be pointed at you as I don't even know you. Just an observation of many an officer who ride around laughiung and smiling as the converse on the cells. And I can bet they don't love their jobs that much. But to say yeah the silly for the cop to be doing what he's paid to do,Well We get to say sarcastic things back. 'nuff said. Not looking for a pissing match either.
Naw, didn't hit a nerve, just trying educated someone clearly ignorant...of daily police operations. I guess since your logic is that since the cell phone is a distraction, we should also stop for anything that is distracting like operating the massive control panel for the lights and sirens when in pursuit of violent crimanls, operating the computer terminal when attemprting to run plates during vehicle stops, talking on the above mentioned "walkie-talkie" whatever that is (I assume you meant handheld/patrol radio). In fact, almost every part of my day is spent dividing my attention between driving and other work related operations. So maybe I should tell my boss and the citizens I am sworn to protect that according to you I can't drive anymore or respond to calls for service because I should have to obey all of the same traffic laws as everyone else. In fact, i guess I can't chase people anymore because that involves speeding, running red lights, and a variety of other traffic law violations.
Old 03-01-2011, 12:11 AM
Just some guy in Canada

Vehicle: 2010 Ram 1500 QC
Trim Level: Sport
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:2581
brad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond repute

I have to say that over the decades, I have been the recipient of many a 'friendly warning', when I damn well deserved a ticket. I have yet to receive a ticket that I didn't deserve....quite the opposite. But having said that, it's just so easy for us 'non-enforcement officers' to pick on the ones we call on the most when we are in trouble. It's really ironic isn't it. LOL

On the cell phone topic....I have owned and used a cell phone in my vehicle since 1988, when they still could used for a telephone conversation and 'texting' had yet to be thought of....let alone invented. Over the years, I have never even had a 'close call' due to the distraction of the phone....but then again, I have always been so particular about my vehicles, that I would anything to avoid injuring it, so if I notice things around me going awry, I simply dropped the phone to ensure I had both hands available to perform what ever maneuver was necessary to save my 'baby' from the grips of the body shop.

Know that we have a 'safety law' that prohibits me from holding the phone in the normal phone position, I have this new fangled truck with OEM advanced bluetooth communications (aka U-Connect). This.....I find.....very distracting! Hands free communications is not at all like -
1) Holding a phone in the normal phone position
2) Using the microphone of a 2-way radio
3) Talking to the person in the passenger seat

Rather, it feels foreign, strange, unnatural and any other synonym that means the same. IMO, the legal handsfree devices are what should be banned from use while driving......along with texting, gaming and everything else that is not a simple phone call. Just my opinion backed by 35,000 miles driven each year and not a single accident in decades. My ticket collection consists solely of 'Exceeding the speed limit', and my all time favorite 'imprudent driving'. LOL

As for our police officers; it absolutely amazes me that with all the distractions in the new police vehicles, that they are not involved in an average of 3 'at fault' accidents each week. I will admit that under the new cell phone use laws, that it does irritate me bit when I see a police officer talking on a cell phone while driving, but IMO, that officer is far less distracted by using his cell phone in the normal manner, that I am using my 'legal' handsfree device.

A special thank you to all the police officers that have over the years...and likely for the years to come ......that have offered a friendly warning in place of a ticket, AND for being there to bring peace and understanding to a situation that seamed out of control and stressful. Your No. 1 in my books......but I'll still throw the odd cheap shot, knowing full well that you understand where it comes from, and at least from me, it's true intended meaning.

Interested in one of my mods?
If it's underlined, it's a link to that mods thread.

2010 Ram 1500 Hemi Sport, 3.92, Leather, NAV, Alpine, Sunroof, Trailer tow, Brake Contoller, Rear Cam
Mods - 3M clear protect, Decals removed, Electric Tailgate Lock, Tow Hooks, Skid Plates, Bed Rug, Pace Edwards Bedlocker Electric Tonneau, Timbren Rear SES, Tinted Tail Lights, Debadged, Grill Blacked Out, Shorty Antenna, Black Chromed Emblems, Lightly tinted front windows, DS Predator, Cabin Air Filter, K&N Drop In, Mufflex (Magnaflo) DOD24M, Sonnax line pressure booster, Volant CAI
Old 03-01-2011, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinned View Post
Naw, didn't hit a nerve, just trying educated someone clearly ignorant...of daily police operations. I guess since your logic is that since the cell phone is a distraction, we should also stop for anything that is distracting like operating the massive control panel for the lights and sirens when in pursuit of violent crimanls, operating the computer terminal when attemprting to run plates during vehicle stops, talking on the above mentioned "walkie-talkie" whatever that is (I assume you meant handheld/patrol radio). In fact, almost every part of my day is spent dividing my attention between driving and other work related operations. So maybe I should tell my boss and the citizens I am sworn to protect that according to you I can't drive anymore or respond to calls for service because I should have to obey all of the same traffic laws as everyone else. In fact, i guess I can't chase people anymore because that involves speeding, running red lights, and a variety of other traffic law violations.
Hey if ya can't do your job. Step aside and let the ones that can, do it. Oh and as for the last Sentence, I guess thats why many towns DO NOT WANT chases done in certain circumstances. ,public safety. There is a broad set of circumstances and situations. You're not pulling in direct things and reasons not to. Like I said,it wasn't aimed at you but you have taken it on a crusade. Oh and walkie talkie must have been a term before you were born or old enough. So I'll stand corrected to keep up with modern day politically correct lingo. Yeah you go on a cell to keep the airwaves open. I think if the bandwidth was that scarce and your reasoning was correct there,then each officer would have cells instead "handhelds". And I guarantee you are not on your cell when doing any of the points you made. I made general statements you are going for straight points. Police officers are people, even if you have the mentality of being above. AND AGAIN this is not aimed at the majority of friends,family and total strangers I have met that are in the position of upholding the law. But then there are the few that think they are the elite. And think that they can do no wrong. Even if they do. . I said this wasn't aimed at you but you seem to want to set some sort of "I'm right you're wrong". I also said if the guy was a danger to oncoming traffic/knew the law and said the hell with it. Hey he deserved it. But if not the case, the said officer could have issued a warning.It's all in the circumstances. Its all in the way it's handled. And how each person also deals with and speaks to the other. And this is not to say its also to be applied across the board on all instances. Silly I had to put the last part but from the previous response I can see well maybe I should just give a warning if I catch someone discharging a gun in a public place and say he didn't know. May be a far stretch but again look at the above rebuttal.
Old 03-01-2011, 03:16 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 03 2500 heavy duty
Color: white
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:35
DARB24 is on a distinguished road

i got a ticket for having my hitch in... 75 bucks
Old 03-01-2011, 03:51 PM

Vehicle: 1998 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Red aka AWESOME!
Engine: 1998-2001 360ci (5.9L) Magnum V8 245hp(standard), 250hp(Sport package)
Rep:86
DeputyNelson will become famous soon enough

Just my .02 cents here real quick.

Pursuits are canceled in populated areas for public safety, correct. That is because they believe the suspect has a higher risk of injuring or killing someone due to their driving. Police are trained in how to pursuit and how to drive in those situations. We (the police) have legal backing on what we are trained. Yes, officers have accidents too, but in emergency situations we have the training and the people to back us on what we were doing. Also, there are laws that exempt law enforcement officials from laws in order to help them do their job properly. You can find them in your states law book.

It gets irritating when people play the victim card and preach that they should get a warning. Irregardless of what you think you deserved a warning for, you broke the law. Ignorance is not an excuse of the law. Laws are there for a reason and it's generally because something happened as a result of it before it was a law. It's not there just to piss you off.

As for the cell phone/radio stuff. All of the radio frequencies we use can be scanned by the public. No matter how much you encrypt it, someone will be able to have access to it and give it to the rest of the public. Certain information can not go over the radio, and shouldn't go over the radio. Just because you see a police officer on the phone smiling doesn't mean he is shooting the breeze with his friends either.

Yes, there are some law enforcement officers out there that feel they are above the law. That's not the way majority of officers feel, it's a select few. Why is it when there is an officer out there that does something wrong people think that's the way all officers are. Certain teachers have sex with their students...that doesn't mean all teachers do that. Certain Priest molest children, but that doesn't mean all priests do that.

I'm not trying to pick a fight or an argument, but just because you got a ticket, doesn't make all officers *******s. Just because you don't like the way some officers operate, doesn't mean all officers operate that way.
Old 03-01-2011, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DARB24 View Post
Seriously? Why is that illegal? Another code I have never heard of.
Old 03-01-2011, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeputyNelson View Post
Just my .02 cents here real quick.

Yes, there are some law enforcement officers out there that feel they are above the law. That's not the way majority of officers feel, it's a select few. Why is it when there is an officer out there that does something wrong people think that's the way all officers are. Certain teachers have sex with their students...that doesn't mean all teachers do that. Certain Priest molest children, but that doesn't mean all priests do that.

I'm not trying to pick a fight or an argument, but just because you got a ticket, doesn't make all officers *******s. Just because you don't like the way some officers operate, doesn't mean all officers operate that way.
I understand that and thats all good. I never said he should get a warning. Warnings are always nice.And again goes by circumstance. And show that cops are people. Especially if he/she pulls you over when you are not causing a problem and lets you know there's something wrong. Your points are correct and stated as a general statement. THe other remarks were more chastising and quite smug. Especially the "clearly ignorant" remark. Again we are all just people,and yes there are bad apples in all fields. And to admit to such is just showing you as an officer are aware and know it goes on. Even rarely but it does get abused. Not just spouting a bunch of text book answers on why there should be no questioning of what a police officer can and does do. Just accept it. Sorry that becomes a bitter pill to swallow. Stay safe out there,and thanks for doing what you do to help make it a safer world.
Old 03-01-2011, 04:48 PM

Vehicle: 1998 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Red aka AWESOME!
Engine: 1998-2001 360ci (5.9L) Magnum V8 245hp(standard), 250hp(Sport package)
Rep:86
DeputyNelson will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by inkdemon View Post
Seriously? Why is that illegal? Another code I have never heard of.
More than likely the ticket was for the hitch obstructing the license plate.

Although those hitches hurt like a son-of-a-bitch when you walk behind someones truck and slam into them!
Old 03-01-2011, 04:53 PM

Vehicle: 1996 Dodge Ram 2500
Trim Level: WS
Engine: 1994-1997 360ci (5.9L) Magnum V8 230hp
Rep:103
panhead will become famous soon enoughpanhead will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by DARB24 View Post

Not here in PA ain't illegal.

I am completely disgusted every time I think about having to take a distributor cap off of one of these trucks -Screamintrashcan