DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - General Discussion > 2011 Dodge Ram Forum

Notices

2011 Dodge Ram Forum For specific discussion of the 2011 Dodge Ram!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 02-28-2011, 01:00 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2011 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: Big Horn
Color: White
Engine: 2009-2010 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:67
NUTSHEMI will become famous soon enough
Default Spraying bed, question about the plugs.

Hey guys I am going on Friday to have my truck undercoated and then they are going to spray the bed on Saturday. I asked the lady on the phone about all the plugs in the bed and she said they spray over all of them cause they aren't of use anymore. I know she said some where for when they put the bed on in the factory thats how it was hooked up, I forgot what she said the others were for. I also thought there were plugs on the tailgate it self, then realized they are screws. I assume they are to access the tailgate handle if something happens and they shouldn't get sprayed. Can anyone confirm if these plugs are useless and can be sprayed over(there is a total of six in the bed) and if I should leave the screws on the tailgate exposed.
Sponsored links
Old 02-28-2011, 01:16 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2011 dodge ram
Trim Level: outdoorsman
Color: blue
Rep:43
bmwbutch is on a distinguished road

They did spray over my plugs. Didn't think it would be that big a deal. They did take my tailgate off as well as the panel to get to the handle-camera. These were painted then put back with the screws unpainted.
Old 02-28-2011, 01:59 PM

Ok thanks man, thats what I figured. I just wanted to make sure they weren't trying to skip a step.
Old 02-28-2011, 02:42 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram 1500 2X4
Trim Level: quad cab SLT
Color: sunburst orange pearl
Rep:2589
GTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond repute

they do know what they are doing
those plugs are where a person could run wiring if they have things like a truck cap or camper that they want power to
or in my case, i have wiring & an overflow hose for my auxiliary fuel tank passing through them
my bed was sprayed by Line-X before i added anything, it was my first mod
Line-X first takes off the tailgate & put it on a pair of saw horses,
then they cover the cab with paper for for protection
next they paper & tape off anything that they don't want the product on
then they grab a couple of grinders & jump in the bed of the vehicle & rough up the paint pretty good
then they clean all the paint & everything else up
then they take the tailgate & do the same to it
they then take the screws out of the tailgate & insert plugs into the screw holes
then when its time, they fire up the machine that is used for the application, & start blowing the product on
within seconds the product can be touched by your finger, it is slightly tacky, after 3 minutes it is hard & they start pulling the paper & tape off of the truck & check for over spray
then they pull the tape & plugs on the tailgate, check it out, then replace the screws
the tailgate wires come out of the very bottom of your tailgate

the reason that i know all of this is because i was given the full tour on my '99 chevy, when i had it done. I was there for everything but, the actual spraying
Ram 1500 SLT Quad cab, 5.7 HEMI(R) MDS VCT, 5 speed auto 545RFE, 3.55 differential gears, 18" Magnaflow muffler, EGR bug deflector, Bushwacker fender flares, customized Nfab nerf bars, CB radio, Autonet wi-fi router, custom soft tonneau cover, Line_X bedliner, DEBO Step, build date 10/15/08 a Wednesday built vehicle
Old 02-28-2011, 06:51 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Vehicle: 2011 Ram 1500 Crew Cab 4x4
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Brilliant Black
Rep:10
Bad Moon Bandit is on a distinguished road

Great questions and answers, I will be installing a Line-X bed soon and never even thought about the plugs etc...

Old 02-28-2011, 07:17 PM
I push the skinny pedal

Vehicle: 2009 Blown 349 Hemi
Trim Level: Sport - Modified
Color: Brilliant Black/Snake Skin Green
Engine: 2009-2012 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:3225
CdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond repute

I would personally remove them before spraying as they are also the drain points for the box. I didn't have my plugs removed and when we got a heavy rain, with the rake of the bed, I ended up with a few inches just sitting in the front.
Old 03-01-2011, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CdnoilRAM View Post
I would personally remove them before spraying as they are also the drain points for the box. I didn't have my plugs removed and when we got a heavy rain, with the rake of the bed, I ended up with a few inches just sitting in the front.
That is good point. I have a drain hole at the front of the bed already, I guess they only start doing that on the newer ones. Plus I am eventually getting a cover.
Old 03-01-2011, 05:43 PM

Vehicle: 2011 Dodge Ram 3500 Crew Cab
Trim Level: Laramie 4x4, 3.73gr
Color: Deep Pearl Red
Engine: 2007-???? 409ci (6.7L) Cummins Turbo Diesel 350hp 650lb/ft
Rep:20
knsram is on a distinguished road

I just had my bed sprayed by Reflex. They did an excellent job! Plugs where left in and screws to tail gate where removed before spraying and replaced afterwards. they also did a great job at spraying inside the upper side wall post holes so that it looks the same when you look into the holes and also sprayed under the lips. There is plenty of space between the tail gate and bed for drainage. Besides, a drain hole in front will do little good as I am adding a 1/2" thick bed mat as well to help cushin my slide-in camper.
Old 03-01-2011, 05:48 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram 1500 2X4
Trim Level: quad cab SLT
Color: sunburst orange pearl
Rep:2589
GTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond repute

they can put tape over all the holes & plugs
it is removed just before the product sets up hard

besides, after the product sets up, you can drill out the drain holes by locating them through below the bed
Ram 1500 SLT Quad cab, 5.7 HEMI(R) MDS VCT, 5 speed auto 545RFE, 3.55 differential gears, 18" Magnaflow muffler, EGR bug deflector, Bushwacker fender flares, customized Nfab nerf bars, CB radio, Autonet wi-fi router, custom soft tonneau cover, Line_X bedliner, DEBO Step, build date 10/15/08 a Wednesday built vehicle

Last edited by GTyankee; 03-01-2011 at 05:50 PM.