DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > 4TH Generation Dodge Ram – 2009+ Dodge Ram Trucks > Body & Interior

Notices

Body & Interior 4th Gen Dodge Ram Body & Interior Problems and Questions.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 03-06-2011, 04:13 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 1994 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: XLT
Color: Emerald Green
Engine: 1994-2001 318ci (5.2L) Magnum V8 220hp
Rep:10
green machine is on a distinguished road

Dodge has ALWAYS had a problem with clear coat pealing but it was usualy over 100k
Old 03-06-2011, 04:15 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram 1500 Quad Cab
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Black
Rep:167
rtkman has a spectacular aura aboutrtkman has a spectacular aura about

The paint on those trim pieces worries me. Most shops would just remove those instead of taping them (poorly in this case) I'd be talking to their body shop. (I wouldnt approach it at first anyways that they did a poor job) You won't get it under Chrysler warranty but perhaps the body shop can claim in under their paint warranty. Typically if a shop has a paint issue like your clear peeling problem they can get it under the paint manufacturers warranty. Its a tough sell because of the amount of stone chips but i would argue the stone chips are excessive because of the clear adheason problem. If the clear stuck better it wouldn't have chipped so easy. Good luck I hope you can get it covered.
Old 03-06-2011, 04:18 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 1994 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: XLT
Color: Emerald Green
Rep:10
green machine is on a distinguished road
Default clear coat

Dodge has ALWAYS had a problem with clear coat. To me alot of this looks like rock chips
(maybe form off-roading?) espicaly behind the front wheels where there looks to be no flaps and rocker panels. but right behind the mudplaps shouldnt be. But also how often do you wash the truck? To often will hurt the clear coat and to little will also hurt.
Old 03-06-2011, 09:54 PM

Vehicle: 97 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Laramie SLT
Rep:55
Ram15002ndgen will become famous soon enough

I don't think Dodge will warranty it because 1-You are out of the 3-36 warranty, 2- It's not a Corrosion issue so that wouldn't work, 3- It's not a factory paint job so no go there either. You could go after the Dealer and have them attend to it because to me it looks like bad prep work. Had the same thing happen to my wife's Rav last year. She was rear ended and the shop replaced the bumper and painted it. It all looked fine but after a few washes the clear started coming off in the corners. Took it back and they had to respray it. Talk to the body shop manager.
Old 03-07-2011, 01:55 PM
US Army Retired

Vehicle: '11 Ram 1500 Big Horn Crew 4x4
Trim Level: Big Horn
Color: Brilliant Black
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:1189
ArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by green machine View Post
Dodge has ALWAYS had a problem with clear coat. To me alot of this looks like rock chips
(maybe form off-roading?) espicaly behind the front wheels where there looks to be no flaps and rocker panels. but right behind the mudplaps shouldnt be. But also how often do you wash the truck? To often will hurt the clear coat and to little will also hurt.
Washing too much is not bad for the clear. I used to detail (I mean REALLY detail, not these guys at the car wash) cars for a living. I wash the truck once a week, wax once a month, and Clay/polish/glaze/seal/wax once every 6.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram15002ndgen View Post
I don't think Dodge will warranty it because 1-You are out of the 3-36 warranty, 2- It's not a Corrosion issue so that wouldn't work, 3- It's not a factory paint job so no go there either. You could go after the Dealer and have them attend to it because to me it looks like bad prep work. Had the same thing happen to my wife's Rav last year. She was rear ended and the shop replaced the bumper and painted it. It all looked fine but after a few washes the clear started coming off in the corners. Took it back and they had to respray it. Talk to the body shop manager.
The dealership did the paint, and their location. I am now 3,000+ miles away from said dealership. this was all many many miles before I owned it.

And no, its not from offroading. It did not have it 10k miles ago when I bought it, and it hasnt been into any serious, tire spinning, off roading. Nothing over 10-15mph on gravel.

2014 Mazda CX-5 Touring w/Tech Pack-6000K HID's, 20% tint, 35mpg, so I will leave it alone.
2002 Ford Focus ZTW Wagon-loaded, tinted, tunes and commuting. 163k miles and counting...

Old 03-08-2011, 03:51 AM
US Army Retired

ArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud of

I have an appt tomorrow for the chrome bumper to get looked at/replaced for rust. I will mention the paint, though I am not holding my breath. I am preparing for a $1200 line-x bill to get the bedliner and 3" up the rockers done.

2014 Mazda CX-5 Touring w/Tech Pack-6000K HID's, 20% tint, 35mpg, so I will leave it alone.
2002 Ford Focus ZTW Wagon-loaded, tinted, tunes and commuting. 163k miles and counting...

Old 03-08-2011, 04:05 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram 1500 2X4
Trim Level: quad cab SLT
Color: sunburst orange pearl
Rep:2615
GTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond repute

i am not sure BUT, the paint warranty may be longer than 3 years
maybe even 5 year

smile wide while asking them, brag on the Ram a bit, it could just be up to the person that you are talking to

Good Luck
Ram 1500 SLT Quad cab, 5.7 HEMI(R) MDS VCT, 5 speed auto 545RFE, 3.55 differential gears, 18" Magnaflow muffler, EGR bug deflector, Bushwacker fender flares, customized Nfab nerf bars, CB radio, Autonet wi-fi router, custom soft tonneau cover, Line_X bedliner, DEBO Step, build date 10/15/08 a Wednesday built vehicle
Old 03-08-2011, 03:23 PM
US Army Retired

They would not even look at it. After I drove the 20 miles one way, they said "oh you have 52k miles! You are wayyy out of your warranty. The rust on the bumper isnt covered, and neither is the paint, after that point".

Really? You couldnt tell me that on the phone yesterday? First thing out of your mouth when I spoke to you should have been "How many miles are on the truck?"

Then it got better. They told me they werent going to release my truck until I paid them 1/2 hr labor for "Wasting their time". Excuse me? I wasted your time? What about the 35 minute, 20 mile one way drive (with gas at nearly $4 a gallon, I might add) that I made to be told something that should have been solved over the phone? I asked to speak to the General Manager. After explaining the situation, and speaking with him in private, he explained to me that he was bound to charge me the 1/2 hr labor as a diagnostic fee. He was sorry I wasnt happy and offered me a $45 credit for a future service or a Mopar accessory of my choice. I chose a set of molded mud flaps for the front to negate further paint damage, and I will be calling chrysler today, to find out exactly what (if anything) can be done about my bumper. I dont expect the paint to be fixed, so I will not push the issue, but you never know if you dont ask. The dealer just did not even care. They TOLD me to call corporate and see if they will honor all or part of the fix.

But remind me again, why (as the paying customer) it is my responsibility to do all the footwork here? I got other stuff going on. I was not looking to get a freebie, and I am not dissapointed, or suprised by their answer, just extremely irritated with how it was handled.

/end rant.

Old 03-08-2011, 04:12 PM

Vehicle: 97 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Laramie SLT
Rep:55
Ram15002ndgen will become famous soon enough

I feel for ya dude. I have been through that kind of crap many times in my life. That's why now when I am taking care of stuff I sound a lot like Columbo (if you remember him). "OK, good, so you guys will correct my paint issue? .......Lets schedule it for next week and Oh yea, that reminds me, I just wanted to clarify, you will be taking care of my paint issue, for free?, ..........Yea, that's a perfect time for me to bring it in and I did hear correctly, you will cover my paint fully right?" You get my drift? I feel stupid sometimes doing that but it has been more times than I can remember after I repeat the same thing 3 or 4 times, then they say "Huh, what, oh no, that's not what I meant!" Then I get really Pissed and come back with some insult, BUT at least I didn't pay anything or get into some kind of a bind that would really piss me off even more.
Old 03-08-2011, 11:05 PM

Vehicle: 2014 Dodge Ram
Color: Granite
Rep:25
RedDodge is on a distinguished road

Sorry about your troubles, but the truck has been repainted....this is not an issue for Dodge. It's not Dodges fault. This should have been covered with the dealer you bought it from and unless some sort of agreement was made in writing about the repaint when you bought the truck...your out of luck...

And you are aware that the truck was painted, was the dealer forth coming about that or did you find out after your purchase? I would think that would be your only place of recourse..with the selling dealer if you weren't told upfront.

But I do agree with you...the dealer should have given and asked for more information over the phone.

Mods: Tinted front windows, UnderCover tonneau bed cover, step rails, bed mat, cabin air filter, 4 corner mud flaps, slush mats, drop in K&N filter.

Last edited by RedDodge; 03-08-2011 at 11:08 PM.