DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Off Topic > Off Topic Discussion

Notices

Off Topic Discussion Anything goes in here! Well, almost!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 03-09-2011, 11:06 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2011 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: Big Horn
Color: Deep Water Blue Pearl
Engine: 2009-2012 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:28
Nimz is on a distinguished road
Default Trade-in payoff dilemma

On good faith, I knew my '05 GMC loan matured in September 2011. I simply multiplied the remaining months times what the bank auto-drafted out of my checking and came up with a payoff figure for the dealership's salesman and loan officer.
The trade-in minus that payoff amount was credited towards my new Dodge.

Come to find out, my loan officer (personal friend of mine as well) called me yesterday and told me the payoff is over $1300 higher than my estimate.

Backtrack to a couple days after I took ownership of the new truck, I mentioned the fact that the payoff was my own personal estimate and no one, not the salesman nor their loan officer, had ran any checkups themselves to the general sales manager. He was very nice and a really understanding gentleman compared to the salesman and loan officer.

Since the trade-in has been sold to a new owner, I know down the road he'll be unable to obtain the title, since my bank will not release the title seeing as the truck isn't fully paid off. I left an urgent message with Dodge's general sales manager to call me when he comes in.

My question to you all is, am I likely the one to be stuck with paying the difference owed on my loan? Probably so I think. My only defense is the dealership not doing a thorough check themselves.
DiabloSport Trinity Custom 89 Octane Tune by Hemifever. Magnaflow Catback Exhaust #16869 & Y-Pipe #10778. K&N 63 Series CAI. Moe's Performance 87mm Ported TB.
Billstein 5100s front & rear, 2.1".
Tinted windows. RhinoLiner. WeatherTech digital floor mats.
Allgig installed to RBZ & backup camera.
Debadged dealer markings. Color-matched interior bezels, rain guards, tail lights & 3rd brake light, & front & rear emblems painted blue.
Color-matched Bushwhacker Pocket Style Fender Flares.
Sponsored links
Old 03-09-2011, 11:15 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2011 Sport RAM
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Flame Red
Engine: 2009-2010 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:10
Tressler is on a distinguished road

Open the checkbook...
Old 03-09-2011, 11:28 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2004 Dakota Club Cab 4X4
Trim Level: SXT
Color: Bright Silver
Engine: 2002-2008 226ci (3.7L) Magnum/PowerTech V6 215hp 235lb/ft
Rep:1824
RamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant future

I don't know if you'll be stuck or not but I do know the dealership should NOT have sold a vehicle without a clear title. Our trades never even come into the shop for a used vehicle inspection until we have the title in hand.
Old 03-09-2011, 11:37 AM
I push the skinny pedal

Vehicle: 2009 Blown 349 Hemi
Trim Level: Sport - Modified
Color: Brilliant Black/Snake Skin Green
Rep:3236
CdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond repute

Pretty much what Randy said, you MAY get stuck with this, however, the dealership isn't allowed to sell it unless they have title ownership... which they didn't at the time of sale.
Old 03-09-2011, 11:40 AM

Vehicle: 2004 Dakota Club Cab 4X4
Trim Level: SXT
Color: Bright Silver
Engine: 2002-2008 226ci (3.7L) Magnum/PowerTech V6 215hp 235lb/ft
Rep:1824
RamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant future

I would think it's the dealerships fault for not verifying the payoff to begin with, especially if they handled the payoff transaction. IMO you shouldn't be held liable.
Old 03-09-2011, 01:51 PM

Vehicle: 2011 Chevy 3500HD
Rep:1287
RootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud of

The dealership cannot resell the vehicle without clear title. Consequently it is their problem for not verifying the pay-off.

Their finance person should have had you give him/her the loan account number and lender's contact info. He/she should have then contacted them directly before writing your new contract and included any differences in the new contract.

Once the new contract was signed for the new truck the dealer is supposed to cut a check to the lender on your trade and either get it mailed or done electronically.

The lender then clears the title and notifies the DMV who cuts a clear title and sends it to the dealer.

If the dealer didn't do this, its not your problem.
"A veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard, or reserve - is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The 'United States of America', for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'"
Old 03-09-2011, 01:58 PM

Vehicle: 2008 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: Custom
Color: Patriot Blue
Engine: 2007-2011 409ci (6.7L) Cummins Turbo Diesel 350hp 650lb/ft
Rep:1648
dodgeman70592 has a brilliant futuredodgeman70592 has a brilliant futuredodgeman70592 has a brilliant futuredodgeman70592 has a brilliant futuredodgeman70592 has a brilliant futuredodgeman70592 has a brilliant futuredodgeman70592 has a brilliant futuredodgeman70592 has a brilliant futuredodgeman70592 has a brilliant futuredodgeman70592 has a brilliant futuredodgeman70592 has a brilliant future

Not your problem, dealer HAS to check to get proper payoff, because they are BUYING your trade from you.

2008 Dodge Ram 2500 4x4 CTD.....lightly modded

2008 Dodge Challenger SRT-8 #3560.....lightly modded
2013 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon....lightly modded (yeah right, it's a Jeep!)
2010 Jeep GC SRT-8.....lightly modded
Old 03-09-2011, 02:34 PM
erm

They failed to verify the payoff so it's their dime, not yours.
Old 03-09-2011, 02:52 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram 1500 2X4
Trim Level: quad cab SLT
Color: sunburst orange pearl
Rep:2597
GTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond repute

I enjoy seeing the Finance Dept get some of what they do to so many customers

How the heck did they sell something that they don't legally own it, now the NEW owner can, if they want to, can take the dealership to small claims court, if they don't get the Title
Ram 1500 SLT Quad cab, 5.7 HEMI(R) MDS VCT, 5 speed auto 545RFE, 3.55 differential gears, 18" Magnaflow muffler, EGR bug deflector, Bushwacker fender flares, customized Nfab nerf bars, CB radio, Autonet wi-fi router, custom soft tonneau cover, Line_X bedliner, DEBO Step, build date 10/15/08 a Wednesday built vehicle
Old 03-09-2011, 05:26 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2011 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: Big Horn
Color: Deep Water Blue Pearl
Rep:28
Nimz is on a distinguished road

But otherwise this loan is still being auto-drafted out of my account. I mean, it's my loan but the dealership obviously intended on selling the trade-in. So the loan should be covered in full, no?

How then, since the amount is $13xx dollars, what if in another case the remainder was like $11,xxx dollars. Same principle still applies? Dealership's fault for not checking into the amount?

I don't get how this doesn't come back on me honestly.
DiabloSport Trinity Custom 89 Octane Tune by Hemifever. Magnaflow Catback Exhaust #16869 & Y-Pipe #10778. K&N 63 Series CAI. Moe's Performance 87mm Ported TB.
Billstein 5100s front & rear, 2.1".
Tinted windows. RhinoLiner. WeatherTech digital floor mats.
Allgig installed to RBZ & backup camera.
Debadged dealer markings. Color-matched interior bezels, rain guards, tail lights & 3rd brake light, & front & rear emblems painted blue.
Color-matched Bushwhacker Pocket Style Fender Flares.