DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 5.2 Liter V8

Notices

Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 5.2 Liter V8 Discuss modifying your Dodge Ram with Performance Parts and Accessories!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 03-23-2011, 01:07 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 97 dodge ram 1500 5.2 4x4
Color: silver and primer
Engine: 1994-2001 318ci (5.2L) Magnum V8 220hp
Rep:10
canfield87 is on a distinguished road
Default first time engine rebuild HELP!!!

I want to completely rebuild my 5.2 318 I want to put new heads, pistons, headers all that kinda fun shit but I want to keep it street legal and pass through emissions . So I need some input on what I can do or what my options are like maybe new cam what lift and duration heads basically I want to strip it down to block and start new I have an engine it got like 225.000ish miles that I pulled and ripping apart I know I am going to have to take it to a machine shop and have it looked at that there are no cracks and everything I square and honed. So can anyone help
Sponsored links
Old 03-27-2011, 12:20 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Vehicle: 1986 D-150
Color: light blue
Engine: 1981-1987 318ci (5.2L) LA V8 140hp
Rep:13
sapper7 is on a distinguished road
Default Hope this helps.

Rebuilding an engine can be quite exciting, provided you have experience (and tools) of such under your belt. My first recommendation is RESEARCH, RESEARCH, and more RESEARCH. Make sure you are confident you can take on this project (know your engine inside-out and upside-down) because that’s how you’ll be working on it. If you have a friend or neighbor that has rebuilt engines, they are your best asset. Also, figure out if you want a high performance engine or something fuel efficient. You can also have the best of both worlds by opening up the intake and exhaust for better air flow in and out of the engine. Other simple upgrades are an electric cooling fan and electric fuel pump. These detachments from the engine reduce load and make a difference. A suggestion I can validate: Edelbrock Performer Series Kit (carb, intake, and cam) and a mild bore rebuild. Also install headers, ceramic wrap them versus ceramic finish and be mindful of your local emissions. The difference if substantial and you still keep some fuel efficiency. A lot of times electrical maintenance falls to the waste side but is just as important as the rebuild. It’s tedious but follow all your wires and inspect for shorts and frays. Rewrap them and fix all connectors, and install a “hot” firing ignition coil (if applicable). These simple inspections make a HUGE difference. Nothing like spending thousands for performance and be haunted by electrical issues.
Old 03-27-2011, 01:00 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2004 Dakota Club Cab 4X4
Trim Level: SXT
Color: Bright Silver
Engine: 2002-2008 226ci (3.7L) Magnum/PowerTech V6 215hp 235lb/ft
Rep:1824
RamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant future

Sappers advice is sound. If it's performance you want, don't even fool with the 5.2. Locate a buildable 5.9 from a wreck and start there. If a leakdown test of the cylinders indicates the less than 10%, you can just roll fresh bearings into the bottom end and not even worry about having any machine work done. This will free up a significant amount of cash for other goodies like a cam, head work or whatever else you want.
Old 03-27-2011, 10:45 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 97 dodge ram 1500 5.2 4x4
Color: silver and primer
Engine: 1994-2001 318ci (5.2L) Magnum V8 220hp
Rep:10
canfield87 is on a distinguished road

yea i was looking at a 5.9 but i want both performance and fuel and i wood need a computer out of a truck with a 5.9 and i have bin looking and nothing good all trucks that have found have fubar frount ends like must have hit a wall at 50 just nothing there still looking to