DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > 2ND Generation Dodge Ram 1994 to 2001 Dodge Ram Trucks > Powertrain > 5.2L V8 Specific Topics

Notices

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 03-25-2011, 04:33 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 1999 dodge ram 1500 5.2
Engine: 1994-2001 318ci (5.2L) Magnum V8 220hp
Rep:10
adb is on a distinguished road
Default Help Please!!

Having a Problem Troubleshooting..I have a 99 ram 1500 5.2 2wd It started as tthe motor bogging down every so often as i was driving and sometimes on acceleration, it then turned into the motor being bogged down at all times. it has no power, the motor revs up but it will only do about 20mph, i drove it about a mile to the shop, they told me my catalytic converter was clogged and the back pressure blew my water pump...ok so i changed the water pump and pulled the exhaustt off at the headers. now it breathes better and has a little more power but still doesnt go very well. im wondering if my fuel injectors could be clogged and its just not getting enough fuel? or any other ideas would be great. thanx......i also had the tranny rebuilt 3 months ago but used the same torque converter if that might have anything to do with it??
Sponsored links
Old 03-25-2011, 06:19 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2004 Dakota Club Cab 4X4
Trim Level: SXT
Color: Bright Silver
Engine: 2002-2008 226ci (3.7L) Magnum/PowerTech V6 215hp 235lb/ft
Rep:1824
RamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant future

The converter being plugged blew out the water pump??? I've got a feeling there's more to this story that we haven't seen yet. Did your engine overheat? Any codes in the PCM? Is it running rough or misfiring? Have you done any diagnostics at all other than what the bean brains that told you the converter killed the pump did?
Old 03-25-2011, 07:02 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

HAHA Thats what i was thinkin too...not sure how the two would be connected like that. It all started after i went campin and had to pull my buddies truck a few miles. everything was workin fine on the way home until it started to bog out even when i hit the gas it just didnt have any power. so the nxt day i drove it down the road and instead of bogging down every once in a while it was just consistantly like that. and thats when the water pump blew. so i parked it and the nxt day i took it to the shop and all they would tell me is the cat is clogged.... it didnt pop a code then but when i start it now the chk engine light is on. havent checked it yet cuz i dont want to blow the new water pump drivin it over there....but a month or so ago my light came on so i checked it and it poped 1 code that said to check the o2 sensor and the fuel injectors..???? but then the light went off so i didnt think anything of it.
Old 03-25-2011, 07:07 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

ive recently replaced the battery, belt, power steering pulley, plugs,wires, coil, cap and rotor, the tranny was rebuilt in dec. but before all this happened it does seem like its misfiring or running rough every so often but not all the time. thats why i think it may have something to do with the injectors??
Old 03-25-2011, 07:33 PM

Vehicle: 2004 Dakota Club Cab 4X4
Trim Level: SXT
Color: Bright Silver
Engine: 2002-2008 226ci (3.7L) Magnum/PowerTech V6 215hp 235lb/ft
Rep:1824
RamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant future

Injector failure is very rare. I'd start by getting the codes and running a fuel pressure/volume test. A bad upstream O2 sensor could cause a problem like this. Have you ever checked or replaced the plenum pan gasket?
Old 03-25-2011, 07:39 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

No have never replaced the plenum gasket. i will try to get the codes read again and see what they say.
Old 03-29-2011, 12:26 PM

Vehicle: 1998 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4
Trim Level: SLT Laramie quad cab
Color: red
Rep:52
98redbull2 will become famous soon enough

AHAHAHA i like that backpressure blew a water pump, where did he learn mechanics
thats like sayin turkey samiches and turbo boosters are all mechanics lol.