DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > 2ND Generation Dodge Ram 1994 to 2001 Dodge Ram Trucks > Powertrain > 5.9L V8 Specific Topics

Notices

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 03-30-2011, 12:15 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Vehicle: 2000 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 QC
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: Patriot Blue
Engine: 1998-2001 360ci (5.9L) Magnum V8 245hp(standard), 250hp(Sport package)
Rep:12
dewzram is on a distinguished road
Default Water Pump & Timing-Chain Cover Gasket Replaced!

Hey fellow 5.9'ers, just wanted to say that for the past year I've had a slow but annoying coolant leak that caused me to add a quart of coolant about every three weeks. I couldn't for the life of me figure out where it was coming from so just figured it was the Water Pump so I'd let it go till it really started leaking heavily. Well that never happened so I got the itch to finally tear into it and figure out what was really leaking. So...got the alternator and a/c compressor removed and out of the way for a better look, still couldn't quite figure out where it was fresh and leaking from, still didn't appear to be the Pump. So.....drained the coolant, took the fan and shroud off for ease of working on it, got the pump out and gave it a good inspection. It still didn't look like the pump was leaking, however upon closer inspection, I noticed corrosion all long the left side of the Timing Chain Cover. So what the heck, removed the harmonic balancer and took the Timing Chain Cover off. Vualla! There is my leak. Behind the cover was a puddle of coolant and half of the gasket was completely ate away and leaking. I was relieved to finally find the real culprut to the leak. So, wrote down a very long shopping list of everything I wanted to replace while I had it all apart. I checked the Timing Chain and it looked very good and was in spec so I figured I'd leave it. Off to O'reilly's I went. Every part I requested was in-stock and came to $286. What I ended up replaced in this job was the Timing Chain Cover gasket and crank sleeve/seal. New water pump, thermostat (factory 192), thermostat housing tube, all 3 hoses, tensioner pulley (since the spring didn't seem to be working that great and bearing was noisy), idler pulley (noisy bearing), new coolant, and a fresh oil change since I think some coolant got in the oil since you have to loosen the front of the oil pan, I wasn't sure but figured the oil change was good insurance. Definitely was one of the more time consuming water pump jobs I've done. Not hard, just a lot more to remove than I've had to in the past. Anyway, all is good, zero leaks and oddly, the thing is even running better, seems to have a just a tiny bit more pep to it and with the new pulley's, the thing is super quiet running.

I wanted to post my findings on here just in-case anyone was having the same mysterious slow coolant leak and couldn't figure it out. Spent most of my Sunday doing the job, but was well worth it and nice to replace some of those 11 year old parts that could be questionable anytime.
Sponsored links
Old 03-30-2011, 10:16 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2002 DODGE RAM
Trim Level: QC SLT 2WD
Color: Almond Pearl, Blacked Out
Engine: 2002-2003 360ci (5.9L) Magnum V8 245hp 335lb/ft
Rep:65
RAMING IT will become famous soon enough

Great post dewzram. So for a whole year it leaked, wow it must of been on your last nerve! Do you have any mods ???
Old 03-30-2011, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAMING IT View Post
Great post dewzram. So for a whole year it leaked, wow it must of been on your last nerve! Do you have any mods ???
Thanks Raming It! Yeah it was on my last nerve, I just waited and waited for it to get worse and it just never did. No, no performance mods at all, she's got 74k miles and I'm super paranoid with maintenance and have Amsoil Severe Gear in both diffs, Amosil A/T Fluid in the transfer-case. I have done the entire underside with Chassis Saver so you could almost eat off of the metal under there. Not a spec of rust anywhere on the truck, it's a very well kept rig, but mods wise I just haven't done anything yet. I do have a Flowmaster 40 series dual custom dual exhaust system I had put on, and then recently I did the off-road edition 17" wheels with some 33" BFG all-terrains. I've done new bumper covers up front and other small cosmetic tweaks to get it looking as like-new as possible. Looks like you have done a few nice things. Anything you recommend? Here is what the truck looks like now.
Old 03-30-2011, 11:23 AM

She is a beauty. Nice wheels. Man I dnt think I should recomend anything it looks like you got it undercontrol. How many miles does she have?
Old 03-30-2011, 11:38 AM

Thanks man! It's got 74k miles on the clock currently. She is on her 2nd tranny though, and it likes to slip occasionally on the highway, so that seems to be it's only real fault. I do like the debadged look on yours, I've always liked a clean debadged vehicle.
Old 03-30-2011, 01:21 PM

Vehicle: 2014 RAM 3500 Big Horn
Trim Level: Big Horn
Color: Maximum Steel
Engine: 2013-20?? 409ci (6.7L) Cummins Turbo Diesel 370hp 800lb/ft (6-Speed Automatic)
Rep:52
sdram03 will become famous soon enough

my timing cover gasket was blown out too, but mine was obvious. just look at driver's side of timing cover and there it was. i have had my truck "down" since Dec. i just finally got the fan off the waterpump last weekend (and proud of myself ta boot since i had to make my own tools to do it). i've got everything else pretty much put back together. this weekend, the water pump goes on and all the other stuff. i went on the cheap tho. only a gasket set and bypass hose. timing chain was in spec, all other hoses look and feel good, buuuuuuuuuut, i may be doing the e-fan mod since my fan clutch leaked all over the bench. soooo, that'll cost me a bit. i'm planning to do a DIY intake since i have so much stuff ripped off.... not that i needed to, to fix the leak.... just curiousity to see how serviceable the parts are. i need to take some pics before i finish putting it all back together. i might just rip the grill off too and paint that. gives me another reason to have the truck down and work can't bug me about certain issues....long story...
wish i had a hood w/ scoop, too. then i'd have it all gtg in the color dept.

glad to see you got it all back together and running good.
Old 03-30-2011, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdram03 View Post
my timing cover gasket was blown out too, but mine was obvious. just look at driver's side of timing cover and there it was. i have had my truck "down" since Dec. i just finally got the fan off the waterpump last weekend (and proud of myself ta boot since i had to make my own tools to do it). i've got everything else pretty much put back together. this weekend, the water pump goes on and all the other stuff. i went on the cheap tho. only a gasket set and bypass hose. timing chain was in spec, all other hoses look and feel good, buuuuuuuuuut, i may be doing the e-fan mod since my fan clutch leaked all over the bench. soooo, that'll cost me a bit. i'm planning to do a DIY intake since i have so much stuff ripped off.... not that i needed to, to fix the leak.... just curiousity to see how serviceable the parts are. i need to take some pics before i finish putting it all back together. i might just rip the grill off too and paint that. gives me another reason to have the truck down and work can't bug me about certain issues....long story...
wish i had a hood w/ scoop, too. then i'd have it all gtg in the color dept.

glad to see you got it all back together and running good.
Wow, sounds like you have had an extended repair, and having to do it the hard way at that. But sounds like you are about finished with the job. Def take some pics if you have time while it's all torn down. Guys like to compare and know what it looks like. I wish I had of but it's so dang hard to take picture breaks when your hands are filthy. I actually thought about doing the Plenum as well, but I have only just a very slight moistness inside the throttle body and I figure that's normal PVC Valve blow-by so I didn't touch it.

Well good luck, hope the reassembly goes as planned like mine did.
Old 04-05-2011, 11:53 PM

Cool debadged

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewzram View Post
Thanks man! It's got 74k miles on the clock currently. She is on her 2nd tranny though, and it likes to slip occasionally on the highway, so that seems to be it's only real fault. I do like the debadged look on yours, I've always liked a clean debadged vehicle.
Indeed it looks alot cleaner i think. It also kinda leaves evryone guessing what you have under there.
Old 04-06-2011, 12:28 PM

Engine: 2013-20?? 409ci (6.7L) Cummins Turbo Diesel 370hp 800lb/ft (6-Speed Automatic)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewzram View Post
Wow, sounds like you have had an extended repair, and having to do it the hard way at that. But sounds like you are about finished with the job. Def take some pics if you have time while it's all torn down. Guys like to compare and know what it looks like. I wish I had of but it's so dang hard to take picture breaks when your hands are filthy. I actually thought about doing the Plenum as well, but I have only just a very slight moistness inside the throttle body and I figure that's normal PVC Valve blow-by so I didn't touch it.

Well good luck, hope the reassembly goes as planned like mine did.
Yep, goin well so far. i took some pics, but not many of the whole process. i just finished putting the water pump on last night at around 9:30pm.kinda hard to take good pics in the dark or low-light. now all i need to do is flush the coolant system (for numerous reasons), change oil (don't trust that i kept EVERY little bit of dust/dirt/coolant from getting into the pan - which sux since i just did an oil change 1k ago - ARGH!!!!!), possibly put an e-fan and DIY intake on, and.... i think that's it..... and i've got just over 2 months to get it done. Hope that's enough time.
Old 04-06-2011, 01:08 PM

and that's where i am at currently. hopefully, it'll be back together before June.

sorry for any graininess or useless pics. just thought i would get some up to show i was actually doing something.