DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > 3RD Generation Dodge Ram 2002 to 2008 Dodge Ram Trucks > Suspension

Notices

Suspension 3rd Gen Dodge Ram Suspension Problems and Questions

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 01-09-2009, 06:52 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2005 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 5.7L
Trim Level: Hemi Sport
Color: Flame Red
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:35
Danstona is on a distinguished road
Question Pulling to the right

I have another question yet again. Does anyone know what would cause the truck to pull to the right pretty harsh? The dealer said it was taken care of, but on my way home with it on dry pavement, it pulled like a beggar to the right! From what I can tell, all the tires are good, and the brakes don't seem to be sticking, so I'm kinda lost as to what else would cause this other than front end parts. The wierd thing about it, is that when there is snow on the road, the truck doesn't pull at all! My dad said, "just put the tire pressure up to 38 or 39psi from 32, thats what I did with my 02 because it wouldnt go away and I changed the ball joints, wheel bearings, and swapped the tires from side to side". Now I don't really want to take his advice, as I believe there must be a mechanical solution. Anyone else believe me? lol
Sponsored links
Old 01-09-2009, 07:05 PM

Vehicle: 2005 5.7L HEMI
Trim Level: SLT Quad Cab 4WD
Color: Flame red
Rep:34
Marcelo is on a distinguished road

I'm not an expert but... could it be a front end misalignment?
And it's not so weird that doesn't happen on snowy roads. The poor grip tires have makes them slip and not pulling at all...
Old 01-09-2009, 07:13 PM

Vehicle: 2003 Ram 2500 Diesel
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Red
Engine: 2001-2003 359ci (5.9L HO) Cummins ISB 24-Valve Diesel I6 245hp 505lb/ft (6-Speed Manual)
Rep:11
Florida Roadie is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcelo View Post
I'm not an expert but... could it be a front end misalignment?
And it's not so weird that doesn't happen on snowy roads. The poor grip tires have makes them slip and not pulling at all...
Marcelo is more than likely correct ..Your trucks front end needs alignment. I just had mine done @ the Dodge dealers $89.00 also I suggest that you have the tires / wheels rotated and road forced balanced ...Another $ 69.00 ...I dunno what tire size your running but on my Ram 2500 I'm running 50 psi. front and 70 psi rear ..When towing a heavy load I bump it up 10 psi each.
Roadie
Old 01-09-2009, 07:15 PM
erm

OK, several things could contribute to this condition. You didn't indicate what your truck mileage is. That would be a helpful indicator to diagnose the problem.

1. Dad may be right about the tire pressure. Make sure it is equal on all 4 corners.

2. Does the road have ruts in it or is it crowned? Both conditions will cause your vehicle to feel like it is trying to turn left or right.

3. How many degrees do you have to hold the steering wheel to the left to keep the truck tracking straight? It may just be that your steering wheel needs to be centered. That's what I found on my truck.

4. You may need an alignment.

5. Worst case, you have something worn to the point of parts replacement. I am not familiar with the suspension on the newer trucks but on mine, there is a trackbar and endlinks that, if worn, will cause this problem as well.

One thing you can try is to jack up one side of the front of your truck (one wheel off the ground, the other side firmly planted on terra firma), turn on your ignition to unlock the steering wheel, and try to move the wheel that is suspended in the air and see how much side to side and top to bottom play you get. You shouldn't get much at all. Excessive play indicates worn parts.

What's your truck's mileage?
Old 01-09-2009, 08:05 PM

Vehicle: 2008 Dodge Ram 1500 4X4
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: Brilliant Black
Rep:100
Burkdadhemi will become famous soon enoughBurkdadhemi will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danstona View Post
I have another question yet again. Does anyone know what would cause the truck to pull to the right pretty harsh? The dealer said it was taken care of, but on my way home with it on dry pavement, it pulled like a beggar to the right! From what I can tell, all the tires are good, and the brakes don't seem to be sticking, so I'm kinda lost as to what else would cause this other than front end parts. The wierd thing about it, is that when there is snow on the road, the truck doesn't pull at all! My dad said, "just put the tire pressure up to 38 or 39psi from 32, thats what I did with my 02 because it wouldnt go away and I changed the ball joints, wheel bearings, and swapped the tires from side to side". Now I don't really want to take his advice, as I believe there must be a mechanical solution. Anyone else believe me? lol
Just my 2 cents worth

1. If I am reading this right the dealer had aligned it.I would take it to another alignment place and have them check it out. Also you can have a tire causing that problem. I have had this same exact problem on my SRT F-1 Goodyear's and several years ago on a Monte Carlo. I replaced the front tires and the problem was gone. But take it to another place to have them look at it just as a second opinion.

MagnaFlow
Airaid Jr Kit
D/S Predator
Amsoil
Old 01-10-2009, 10:58 AM

Sorry, the truck has 72,000km on. The dealer had told me that they did an alignment and the problem was fixed. The roads are flat that I was driving on... it does it on every road... I am not new to driving a vehicle, and I know that its not just a road condition. I have to hold the steering wheel about 10 degrees to the left or so. The thing is, when I let go of the steering wheel it straitens out at 0 and the truck pulls to the right... where I would think the steering wheel shouldn't move, and the truck should just go strait. I never mentioned, but my dad has his truck aligned as well, and it was still doing the same thing afterwards. He chalked it up to the tires on the truck causing it, but I don't want to believe that thats all it is causing this.
Old 01-10-2009, 02:40 PM
erm

OK, well I suspect either the steering wheel needs to be centered but if you are really experiencing a pull vs. just having to hold the steering wheel off center, I'd start looking at the track bar and end links. They do wear out and given your mileage, that's the first place I'd look.

Any play in the wheels when sitting on the ground? Either top to bottom or side to side? Any abnormal tire wear? Those are indicators of worn steering linkage parts.
Old 01-10-2009, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MADDOG View Post
OK, well I suspect either the steering wheel needs to be centered but if you are really experiencing a pull vs. just having to hold the steering wheel off center, I'd start looking at the track bar and end links. They do wear out and given your mileage, that's the first place I'd look.

Any play in the wheels when sitting on the ground? Either top to bottom or side to side? Any abnormal tire wear? Those are indicators of worn steering linkage parts.
No abnormal tire wear that I can see, and its about -10 celsius out right now, so I don't really want to be trying to jack the truck up until it gets warmer to work on. I'll get back with any answers as soon as I can do more investigating.
Old 01-10-2009, 08:56 PM

Vehicle: 2003 Ram 2500 Diesel
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Red
Engine: 2001-2003 359ci (5.9L HO) Cummins ISB 24-Valve Diesel I6 245hp 505lb/ft (6-Speed Manual)
Rep:11
Florida Roadie is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danstona View Post
No abnormal tire wear that I can see, and its about -10 celsius out right now, so I don't really want to be trying to jack the truck up until it gets warmer to work on. I'll get back with any answers as soon as I can do more investigating.
Danstona If I get this correctly ...You had this truck aligned twice . Also checked tire pressure and repaired the front end.. Issues not mentioned by folks trying to help is rear suspension can also contribute to what your calling pulling. Broken spring shakles,a broken leaf spring and other issues could make it appear to pull when the truck is actually crabbing along. Meaning running kinda sideways.. I don't think this is the problem because it would be impossible to align a truck with these issues .Unless someone is pulling your chain..Also loose front end parts and poor tire would also make it extremely difficult to properly align this unit.. My one question is this .I see you have 4 wheel drive. Have you tried driving this unit with 4 wheel engaged ? If so did it still pull ? Also are you certain that the 4 wheel is actually dis-engaging when it's supposed directed too.. ? Second thought .You replaced the wheel bearings ? What did the spindles look like ?
Old 01-11-2009, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida Roadie View Post
Danstona If I get this correctly ...You had this truck aligned twice . Also checked tire pressure and repaired the front end.. Issues not mentioned by folks trying to help is rear suspension can also contribute to what your calling pulling. Broken spring shakles,a broken leaf spring and other issues could make it appear to pull when the truck is actually crabbing along. Meaning running kinda sideways.. I don't think this is the problem because it would be impossible to align a truck with these issues .Unless someone is pulling your chain..Also loose front end parts and poor tire would also make it extremely difficult to properly align this unit.. My one question is this .I see you have 4 wheel drive. Have you tried driving this unit with 4 wheel engaged ? If so did it still pull ? Also are you certain that the 4 wheel is actually dis-engaging when it's supposed directed too.. ? Second thought .You replaced the wheel bearings ? What did the spindles look like ?
Roadie,
Sorry, but I mixed two vehicles into this mix. I too was thinking it might have something to do with the 4x4 but never tried it on the dry pavement yet. The truck that had all the front end work was my dads 02 4x2 and its an 02 with 150,000km so a lot more usage. I'll try looking at it this week when its warmer and less snow falling and get back to everyone here.