DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > 3RD Generation Dodge Ram 2002 to 2008 Dodge Ram Trucks > Heating & Cooling

Notices

Heating & Cooling 3rd Gen Dodge Ram Heating & Cooling Problems and Questions.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 04-02-2011, 10:43 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Vehicle: 2006 dodge ram quad cab
Trim Level: sport
Color: grey
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:10
RI 06RAM is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to RI 06RAM
Default overheating please help !!!!!

so today i was towing my trailer with a 4,000lbs load an when i stopped in traffic the truck overheated so i pulled over an opened the hood an the elec fan was not running like it normally does ? as soon as i started driving again it cooled down back to normal what could be the problem i have towed many loads with my truck alot heavier an never had a problem an the fan has always been on before please any help would be great btw its a 06 quad cab ram with the 5.7 hemi
Old 04-02-2011, 10:59 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2011 Dodge Laramie 1500 CC
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: Blue
Engine: 2009-2010 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:55
wylie will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by RI 06RAM View Post
so today i was towing my trailer with a 4,000lbs load an when i stopped in traffic the truck overheated so i pulled over an opened the hood an the elec fan was not running like it normally does ? as soon as i started driving again it cooled down back to normal what could be the problem i have towed many loads with my truck alot heavier an never had a problem an the fan has always been on before please any help would be great btw its a 06 quad cab ram with the 5.7 hemi
When you say it overheated,,,was it the gauge that said that or was it actually hot? If it was the gauge,, how fast did the gauge go up and drop back?
Old 04-03-2011, 02:32 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Vehicle: 2006 dodge ram quad cab
Trim Level: sport
Color: grey
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:10
RI 06RAM is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to RI 06RAM

to be honest im not sure how fast the gauge went up but the truck wasn't boiling over just the gauge went up i was driving an when i stopped i looked down an it binged an said check gauges an it was almost in the red so i pulled over an the elec fan wasn't on i looked at the over flow bottle an it had coolant in it so i started driving an it went rite back down to normal an never went back up i just dnt know why the elec fan never came on ? hope that answers ur question
Old 04-03-2011, 06:35 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2011 Dodge Laramie 1500 CC
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: Blue
Engine: 2009-2010 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:55
wylie will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by RI 06RAM View Post
to be honest im not sure how fast the gauge went up but the truck wasn't boiling over just the gauge went up i was driving an when i stopped i looked down an it binged an said check gauges an it was almost in the red so i pulled over an the elec fan wasn't on i looked at the over flow bottle an it had coolant in it so i started driving an it went rite back down to normal an never went back up i just dnt know why the elec fan never came on ? hope that answers ur question
Some times a loose ground cable on the battery, or the other end being loose or rusty can cause gauges to go up and down for seemingly no reason. I added an extra ground cable from the battery to any metal bolt under the hood. That stopped all my ghostly encounters. If the truck was truely hot, then the gauge would not have gone back down. So I suspect you have these ground gremlins like I did. It is a real cheap try. Apiece of #6 copper wire with a lug on each end and it does not need to be insulated either.