DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - General Discussion > 2010 Dodge Ram Forum

Notices

2010 Dodge Ram Forum For specific discussion of the new 2010 Dodge Ram!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 04-06-2011, 01:08 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram 1500 Crew Cab
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Brilliant Black
Rep:45
Ray is on a distinguished road
Default LED head lights vs LED tail lights?

I noticed that some people had problems after doing a HID head light install with shorts,flashing, etc. It seems like these problems aren't an issue with LED tail light installs. I was curious to know if I am safer going with a tail light set(recon) and is there less problems or am I just reading things wrong. Are the tail lights plug and play and dont require relays and other adaptors?
Mods:Mopar fiber glass Tonneau cover,Nerf Bars,Bully Hitch bar,husky mud guards,stubby antenna,Edge guards,weather mats,20%tint all around+windsheild,lisence plate covers,Upgrage to REN w/back up cam,Magnaflow 18, putco bulbs,LED interior/plate bulbs,viper smartstart

Sponsored links
Old 04-06-2011, 01:25 AM

Vehicle: 2010 Ram Quad Cab 4x4
Trim Level: Big Horn
Color: Inferno Red Pearl
Rep:743
RedRam10 is a splendid one to beholdRedRam10 is a splendid one to beholdRedRam10 is a splendid one to beholdRedRam10 is a splendid one to beholdRedRam10 is a splendid one to beholdRedRam10 is a splendid one to beholdRedRam10 is a splendid one to behold

I think that they are two different things. The LED bulbs are typically a low voltage light source versus the HID headlamp that are usually a 35 or 55 watt light source. So the taillights are typically plug and play so to speak.
Old 04-06-2011, 01:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRam10 View Post
I think that they are two different things. The LED bulbs are typically a low voltage light source versus the HID headlamp that are usually a 35 or 55 watt light source. So the taillights are typically plug and play so to speak.
thats what I was thinking. I just want to aviod any type of wiring fiasco with shorts and frying everything else. I do want to do some lighting mods so I think I will leave the head lights and go with the recon tail lights and 3rd brake light. Do you think I would have any problems keeping my factory fogs and just upgrading to a brighter bulb
Mods:Mopar fiber glass Tonneau cover,Nerf Bars,Bully Hitch bar,husky mud guards,stubby antenna,Edge guards,weather mats,20%tint all around+windsheild,lisence plate covers,Upgrage to REN w/back up cam,Magnaflow 18, putco bulbs,LED interior/plate bulbs,viper smartstart

Old 04-06-2011, 07:30 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram 1500
Color: Mineral Grey Metallic
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:54
libertyfiremedic will become famous soon enough

The Recon tail lights have the resistors built into them... that is why you don't see the typical problems that people have with the HID's... Now if you were to simply change out the factory bulbs in the tail lights with LED bulbs... you would then have the "Issues" and need to add the resistors on each lead....
Old 04-06-2011, 07:42 AM

Vehicle: 2010 Ram Quad Cab 4x4
Trim Level: Big Horn
Color: Inferno Red Pearl
Rep:743
RedRam10 is a splendid one to beholdRedRam10 is a splendid one to beholdRedRam10 is a splendid one to beholdRedRam10 is a splendid one to beholdRedRam10 is a splendid one to beholdRedRam10 is a splendid one to beholdRedRam10 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray View Post
thats what I was thinking. I just want to aviod any type of wiring fiasco with shorts and frying everything else. I do want to do some lighting mods so I think I will leave the head lights and go with the recon tail lights and 3rd brake light. Do you think I would have any problems keeping my factory fogs and just upgrading to a brighter bulb
I'm going with Piaa's or SilverStar Ultras.
Old 04-06-2011, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRam10 View Post
I'm going with Piaa's or SilverStar Ultras.
Are you going with those for the fogs and is that just bulbs your replacing or the entire fog light itself

Old 04-07-2011, 08:27 PM

Has anybody tried just doing a nice head light bulb upgrade instead of doing a complete assembly swAp out. I was looking online at some recon and putco bulbs for 20 bucks a pop and didn't think you can go wrong for that price if you were looking for a simple upgrade for brighter head lights. I don't know of anybody that has done this and was looking for some feed back.

Old 04-07-2011, 08:29 PM
erm

Yeah, you are talking two completely different systems here.

I upgraded my stock bulbs to Sylvania Ultra Stars and was pleasantly surprised. PIAA is another brand to look at. I've tried Putco's and was NOT happy.
Old 04-08-2011, 01:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MADDOG View Post
Yeah, you are talking two completely different systems here.

I upgraded my stock bulbs to Sylvania Ultra Stars and was pleasantly surprised. PIAA is another brand to look at. I've tried Putco's and was NOT happy.
I think I am going to go the bulb route instead of doing the HID system. Did you have any issues when you swapped out the bulbs and was it just as simple as changing the bulbs or was there other parts needed?

Old 06-13-2011, 02:05 PM

Vehicle: 2011 Dodge Ram Sport
Color: Black
Engine: 2009-???? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:25
kewlguy53403 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray View Post
Has anybody tried just doing a nice head light bulb upgrade instead of doing a complete assembly swAp out. I was looking online at some recon and putco bulbs for 20 bucks a pop and didn't think you can go wrong for that price if you were looking for a simple upgrade for brighter head lights. I don't know of anybody that has done this and was looking for some feed back.
I have but not on a RAM. I did a 100% swap on my Xterra. Simple as heck (if I can do it anyone can!). You just need a resistor for blinkers. On my X the front and rears on the same side were tied to each other so 1 single resistor covered both (ie I only needed 2 instead of 4). I'm not sure about the RAM.
Raptor Step & Bed Rails | K&N | BakFlip HD | Halo Proj. LIghts | Recon Brake Lights | DDM HIDs | Big Rig Lights | Night Raider Taillight Bar | Volant CAI | Magnaflow 18 | MGP Caliper Covers | Lower Billet Grill | 20% Tint | Blistein 5100 @ 2.8 | 34" Tires | Dipped Chrome