DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > 3RD Generation Dodge Ram 2002 to 2008 Dodge Ram Trucks > Powertrain > 5.7L V8 Specific Topics


Notices


Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 04-19-2011, 10:30 PM
cosbourn's Avatar
cosbourn cosbourn is offline
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Fayetteville, AR
Posts: 943
Gender: Male
Vehicle: 2004 Dodge Ram QC 4x4
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Red
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep Power: 5
Rep:83
cosbourn will become famous soon enough
Default 2100 RPM rattling noise?

So after owning my truck for close to 1 year now I have finally lost all patience with dealing with the faint to annoying rattling (sounds like a tin can or something) coming from the underside of the truck at or right below 2100 RPM. Once I pass 2100 or come back down from 2100 it completely goes back to normal sounding. Performance has not been lost and the truck is getting average mpg so idk if it's my cats. Thing is it only happens when the truck is in gear and under load, ie up a hill or getting on the highway or pulling from stoplight etc.

It was present when the truck had the stock muffler on, so i didn't think anything of it, thought it could be the stock muffler with a broke baffle weld or a loose heat shield. I then switched to a FM40 and the sound was still present. After dealing the massive drone a FM40 has I switched to a Aerotrubine 3030xl and it is now worse than ever. I have tightened every accessible heat shield bolt/screw and tightened. My U-Joints look fine (thought it might be them straining under that particular rpm). I even went as far to take my stock manifold heat shields off as I thought they were causing the problem (one had a broke stud and the heat shield would bounce around). But that didn't help the problem at all.

Everything I am reading is saying that it's the muffler but seriously? What's the chances of having 3 different mufflers within a year, all 3 of which with busted muffler welds? I think not...

I had a 96' Ram that I had to get my cat replaced because it would rattle almost identically sounding but only at idle ~650 rpm. My truck now doesn't have this problem at idle. ONLY at 2100 rpm under load and in gear. SO..with all that being said is anyone experiencing the same problem I am? Any suggestions on things to check? Is there anyway to check the cat's externally before taking them to muffler guy and having him charge me $$$ I don't want to spend?

Thanks a bunch for the input guys!
__________________
Westin Ultimate Bull Bar w/ IPF 968CSG lights, Husky Mud Flaps, Bedlined GoRhino Dominator II steps, Bedlined Fuel Door, RBP Pedal-Covers, Clarion CZ300, Composite BFI (#71) w/ 8" Tall Amsoil Filter + K&N Drycharger Prefilter, AirRam Scoop, Flex-a-Lite 183, dumped Aeroturbine 3030XL
Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
  #2  
Old 04-20-2011, 12:51 PM
ramvan2500's Avatar
ramvan2500 ramvan2500 is offline
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Florida USA
Posts: 1,866
Gender: Male
Vehicle: 1995 Dodge Ram B2500 Van
Trim Level: SLT - 2500
Color: Deep Molten Pearl Coat, Silver, Grey
Engine: 1994-2001 318ci (5.2L) Magnum V8 220hp
Rep Power: 4
Rep:127
ramvan2500 will become famous soon enoughramvan2500 will become famous soon enough
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cosbourn View Post
So after owning my truck for close to 1 year now I have finally lost all patience with dealing with the faint to annoying rattling (sounds like a tin can or something) coming from the underside of the truck at or right below 2100 RPM. Once I pass 2100 or come back down from 2100 it completely goes back to normal sounding. Performance has not been lost and the truck is getting average mpg so idk if it's my cats. Thing is it only happens when the truck is in gear and under load, ie up a hill or getting on the highway or pulling from stoplight etc.

It was present when the truck had the stock muffler on, so i didn't think anything of it, thought it could be the stock muffler with a broke baffle weld or a loose heat shield. I then switched to a FM40 and the sound was still present. After dealing the massive drone a FM40 has I switched to a Aerotrubine 3030xl and it is now worse than ever. I have tightened every accessible heat shield bolt/screw and tightened. My U-Joints look fine (thought it might be them straining under that particular rpm). I even went as far to take my stock manifold heat shields off as I thought they were causing the problem (one had a broke stud and the heat shield would bounce around). But that didn't help the problem at all.

Everything I am reading is saying that it's the muffler but seriously? What's the chances of having 3 different mufflers within a year, all 3 of which with busted muffler welds? I think not...

I had a 96' Ram that I had to get my cat replaced because it would rattle almost identically sounding but only at idle ~650 rpm. My truck now doesn't have this problem at idle. ONLY at 2100 rpm under load and in gear. SO..with all that being said is anyone experiencing the same problem I am? Any suggestions on things to check? Is there anyway to check the cat's externally before taking them to muffler guy and having him charge me $$$ I don't want to spend?

Thanks a bunch for the input guys!
Only thing I can think of is with the catalytic converter because their is something that rattles around inside the converter. Idk if this is your case or not but all I can think of at this second.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 04-20-2011, 01:35 PM
chefred112's Avatar
chefred112 chefred112 is offline
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: NorCal
Posts: 5,757
Gender: Male
Vehicle: 2005 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: SLT
Color: white
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep Power: 9
Rep:650
chefred112 is a splendid one to beholdchefred112 is a splendid one to beholdchefred112 is a splendid one to beholdchefred112 is a splendid one to beholdchefred112 is a splendid one to beholdchefred112 is a splendid one to behold
Default

I'm leaning towards the cats as well...
__________________
-fast freddie-
one quick 05 hemi qc...with over 250k miles on odo... on the 5.7...stoker 6.4 now, new times coming
performance mods: yes 1/8 - 7.85 @ 93.20, 1/4 - 12.10 @ 113.96
2005 Dodge Ram 1500 QC SLT: 12.107 @ 113.960 MPH
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 04-20-2011, 01:49 PM
cosbourn's Avatar
cosbourn cosbourn is offline
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Fayetteville, AR
Posts: 943
Gender: Male
Vehicle: 2004 Dodge Ram QC 4x4
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Red
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep Power: 5
Rep:83
cosbourn will become famous soon enough
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramvan2500 View Post
Only thing I can think of is with the catalytic converter because their is something that rattles around inside the converter. Idk if this is your case or not but all I can think of at this second.
Yeah, my previous trucks cat had the internal material ball up and melt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chefred112 View Post
I'm leaning towards the cats as well...
Yeah. That's what I'm feeling unfortunately.

Anybody running magnaflow replacement midpipes with cats and y pipe?? Part number is 49597, 49596 per magnaflow.
__________________
Westin Ultimate Bull Bar w/ IPF 968CSG lights, Husky Mud Flaps, Bedlined GoRhino Dominator II steps, Bedlined Fuel Door, RBP Pedal-Covers, Clarion CZ300, Composite BFI (#71) w/ 8" Tall Amsoil Filter + K&N Drycharger Prefilter, AirRam Scoop, Flex-a-Lite 183, dumped Aeroturbine 3030XL
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 04-20-2011, 02:48 PM
07 2500 07 2500 is offline
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: north jersy
Age: 34
Posts: 21
Gender: Male
Vehicle: 07 2500 ram
Trim Level: laramie
Color: silver
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep Power: 0
Rep:10
07 2500 is on a distinguished road
Default

hit the cat with your hands (while cold) if the honeycomb is broke you'll hear it. if thats the case it has a federal warranty 8 year or 80k which ever comes first. also check the heat shield around the fuel tank. mine busted off there and was ratteling
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 04-20-2011, 03:31 PM
cosbourn's Avatar
cosbourn cosbourn is offline
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Fayetteville, AR
Posts: 943
Gender: Male
Vehicle: 2004 Dodge Ram QC 4x4
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Red
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep Power: 5
Rep:83
cosbourn will become famous soon enough
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07 2500 View Post
hit the cat with your hands (while cold) if the honeycomb is broke you'll hear it. if thats the case it has a federal warranty 8 year or 80k which ever comes first. also check the heat shield around the fuel tank. mine busted off there and was ratteling
Really??? So should I contact my local dodge dealer? Mine is an 04 with 65k miles, it was built in 2003 so it may be close...when was that federal law passed and what year cars does it include?

I tapped on em with a pair of channelocks and one sounded weird in one spot, like it went from being a thud to a ting. Im assuming they are supposed to sound uniform throughout? May be cat material that has been lost.

I will also check the fuel tank one, I DID overlook that one.

Thanks a bunch 07 2500
__________________
Westin Ultimate Bull Bar w/ IPF 968CSG lights, Husky Mud Flaps, Bedlined GoRhino Dominator II steps, Bedlined Fuel Door, RBP Pedal-Covers, Clarion CZ300, Composite BFI (#71) w/ 8" Tall Amsoil Filter + K&N Drycharger Prefilter, AirRam Scoop, Flex-a-Lite 183, dumped Aeroturbine 3030XL

Last edited by cosbourn; 04-20-2011 at 03:35 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 04-20-2011, 03:40 PM
cosbourn's Avatar
cosbourn cosbourn is offline
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Fayetteville, AR
Posts: 943
Gender: Male
Vehicle: 2004 Dodge Ram QC 4x4
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Red
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep Power: 5
Rep:83
cosbourn will become famous soon enough
Default

Found it. Clean air act, vehicles '95 and newer, 8 year/80k miles on cats. Wow, I didn't know they had such a critter.

Now with my exhaust being custom from the stock y back, does it interfere or void this warranty?
__________________
Westin Ultimate Bull Bar w/ IPF 968CSG lights, Husky Mud Flaps, Bedlined GoRhino Dominator II steps, Bedlined Fuel Door, RBP Pedal-Covers, Clarion CZ300, Composite BFI (#71) w/ 8" Tall Amsoil Filter + K&N Drycharger Prefilter, AirRam Scoop, Flex-a-Lite 183, dumped Aeroturbine 3030XL
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 04-20-2011, 08:16 PM
Ruffian11's Avatar
Ruffian11 Ruffian11 is offline
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Vancouver, BC
Age: 22
Posts: 1,358
Gender: Male
Vehicle: 2005 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Black
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep Power: 5
Rep:140
Ruffian11 will become famous soon enoughRuffian11 will become famous soon enough
Default

As for the warranty i do not know taking it to the dealership they may be able to tell you, best bet to be %100 percent sure is use either your hand or a rubber or softfaced mallet and hit the cats, if you hear a rattling the honey comb has broke apart...using the chanel locks is going to create other noise and you will probably not here the rattle
__________________
2005 SLT 1500 5.7L Hemi
5" Rough Country Lift, Procomp 8101 20x9 Rims, K&N CAI,Flowmaster Exhaust Cat-Back Dual Exit, 325/60/20 BFG KM2, Tonneau Cover, Bedlined, Grill Hella 500's!
Alpine CDA-9887 Headunit, Twister 300 Amp, Dual 10" MTX Thunders, Thunder Form Box
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 04-20-2011, 08:25 PM
07 2500 07 2500 is offline
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: north jersy
Age: 34
Posts: 21
Gender: Male
Vehicle: 07 2500 ram
Trim Level: laramie
Color: silver
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep Power: 0
Rep:10
07 2500 is on a distinguished road
Default

Cat back exhaust will not void that warranty The PCM is also covered since it controls the emissions
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 04-20-2011, 08:28 PM
07 2500 07 2500 is offline
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: north jersy
Age: 34
Posts: 21
Gender: Male
Vehicle: 07 2500 ram
Trim Level: laramie
Color: silver
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep Power: 0
Rep:10
07 2500 is on a distinguished road
Default

If you have access to a good scanner like snap on or OTC you can see what back O2 sensors are reading the knox will b high
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
cat, exhaust, heat shield, rattle, sound

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
V10 rattling noise stretch0069 V10 Specific Topics 10 05-23-2013 01:16 AM
Ram 2500 with engine noise. Big Ed 2010 Dodge Ram Forum 3 06-23-2012 12:29 AM
rattling noise flex plate ? bruce99mxz 4.7L PowerTech V8 Specific Topics 1 02-10-2011 11:32 AM
Help With "Whining" Noise From Rear??? GTR0419 5.2L V8 Specific Topics 5 02-07-2011 04:26 AM
Excessive Throttle Body Noise firedog318 5.9L V8 Specific Topics 8 01-23-2011 02:54 PM


Advertisement






All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:47 PM.


= Copyright RamForumZ.com a Gigathreads.com Network Site =Ad Management by RedTyger
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vB.Sponsors


=Gigathreads Network=
CLUBS MOPAR NATION DSM GPMM MAMM JAM
DIESEL Diesel Forum      
CHEVY Chevy Camaro Forum Chevy Volt Forum    
CHRYSLER Chrysler 300C Forum      
DODGE Dodge Avenger Forum Dodge Caliber Forum Dodge Challenger Forum Dodge Charger Forum
  Dodge Circuit Forum Dodge Hornet Forum Dodge Magnum Forum Dodge Nitro Forum
  Dodge Ram Forum Dodge Dakota Forum Dodge Durango Forum Dodge Dart Forum
FORD Ford Raptor Forum Ford F150 Forum Ford F100 Forum  
JEEP Jeep Forum      
PONTIAC Pontiac G8 Forum      
SRT SRT Viper Forum SRT Cuda Forum