DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > Dodge Ram Detailing and General Maintenance Forum

Notices

Dodge Ram Detailing and General Maintenance Forum Wax on, Wax off! Chat about anything that gives you Carpal Tunnel or Tennis Elbow in here! ;)

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 04-25-2011, 01:27 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2010 RAM SLT REG. CABX2
Trim Level: SLT
Color: CRYSTAL BLACK PEARL
Engine: 2009-2010 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:61
RammD will become famous soon enough
Default Aerosol Tire Spray "Spraying" on fenders after applying and driving!?

This issue is sucks as it's happened to me a few times after i've just washed and detailed my truck. Basically, anytime I use the Aerosol spray cans on the tires, once I drive, it slings up onto the fenders and even the doors..totally negating the detail I just spent a couple of hours on!

I figured maybe this stuff wasn't "setting in" so instead of spraying my tires FIRST after a wash, I figured i'd do them when I'm parked and didn't plan on going out anytime soon giving the spray time to fully set into the tires. Well, I did that, the truck even sat overnight and sure enough I drive to work and overspray all over my fenders, doors, wherever it shoots up to!

What's more crazy is this time I actually RUBBED THE TIRE SPRAY INTO THE TIRES WITH A MICROFIBER CLOTH and I DON'T SPRAY THE TREADS, so it's actually shooting up from the side walls of the tires i'm spraying.

I should also note the 2 products this has happened with are ALL MEGUIAR'S...HOT SHINE AEROSOL TIRE SPRAY AND NXT INSANE SHINE TIRE SPRAY as well as their ENDURANCE TIRE SPRAY.

I haven't used a FOAMING TIRE SPRAY in a long time but I don't remember the FOAMING TIRE SPRAYS doing this. I'm thinking it's a chemical in all those aerosol tire sprays which is causing the stuff to NOT SET into the tires, but you'd think Meguiar's of all companies wouldn't have an issue like this in ALL THEIR AEROSOL CANS.

Anyone else experience this and have any ideas of something to apply to the tires FIRST which may prep them to absorb more of these Meguiar's tire dressings?

Last edited by RammD; 04-25-2011 at 02:19 PM.
Sponsored links
Old 04-25-2011, 08:26 PM

Vehicle: 2010 Quad Cab
Trim Level: Big Horn
Color: Blue
Rep:84
Chubby Bruiser will become famous soon enough

Two Things. Make sure your tires are dry before applying the tire shine and I recomend Turtle Wax products.
Westin Nerf Bars, Mopar Chrome Bug Deflector, Mopar Mud Flaps, Mopar Slush Mats, Chubby Antenna, K&N Drop in Air Filter, Bosch Wiper Blades, Weathertech Vent Visors, Mopar Trailer Brake Controller, Reese Tow Package with Anti Sway Bars, B Pillar Black Tape Removed, Mopar Chrome Gas Door, Mods to come - 14 inch Mufflex, CAI, Headers, Michelin Tires, Chrome Bed Rails.
Old 04-25-2011, 10:21 PM
I push the skinny pedal

Vehicle: 2009 Blown 349 Hemi
Trim Level: Sport - Modified
Color: Brilliant Black/Snake Skin Green
Engine: 2009-2012 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:3236
CdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond repute

The severe tire shine products are only for show, they will spin off no matter what. For a good every day product, I've been very happy with the Mothers tire shine. It's not as shiney as the NXT I found, but it definately stays on for more than a drive down the road. I do use the hot shine spray bottle when I'm at a show, but it doesn't last.
Old 04-25-2011, 10:52 PM
erm

I ran into that with the Endurance stuff as well.

I went to Black Magic tire black and have been very happy.

Just make sure you use it sparingly, as with any product, or it will spin off.
Old 04-26-2011, 12:41 PM

Vehicle: 2010 RAM SLT REG. CABX2
Color: CRYSTAL BLACK PEARL
Rep:61
RammD will become famous soon enough

Thanks for the replies. I just wanted to clarify that my tires were very dry when I applied those 2 Meguiar's Aerosols and the issue still occurred. On one occasion my truck sat OVERNIGHT after applying to dry tires and the sling was still very much present all over the sides when I drove the next morning..so I was like WTF.

Before using the Meguiar's sprays, I remember using some FOAMING SPRAYS I think by black magic and turtle wax and also used the Black Magic "TIRE WET" and never remember those sling issues occurring with either of those products. I will say the tires look good for about 7-10 days after I apply this stuff, vs. half the time with the other products that don't sling. I do have to say I love Meguiar's products but those aerosol sprays have to be the worst thing i've ever used. How can Meguiar's put their name on a product that doesn't fully SET INTO THE TIRES and that can sling onto a 6 hour wax job or even a still time consuming 90 min quicker detail? That is really crazy.
Old 04-26-2011, 01:19 PM

Vehicle: 2009 dodge ram 1500
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Brilliant Black
Rep:713
platinuminjected is a splendid one to beholdplatinuminjected is a splendid one to beholdplatinuminjected is a splendid one to beholdplatinuminjected is a splendid one to beholdplatinuminjected is a splendid one to beholdplatinuminjected is a splendid one to beholdplatinuminjected is a splendid one to behold

i get this too if i dont give it enough time to dry or i apply too much but the stuff i really like is the black magic stuff that comes with the applicator pad its really good stuff as long as you give it enough time to dry and applied on a dry tire but i dont normally put tire shine on my tires because the roads here are way too dusty
MODS... tinted windows,cf dash kit,6000 k fogs and low beam,heavy duty rubber mud flaps,recon tails 3rd break,L.E.D liscenceplate,reverse lights,factory side steps,afe intake,bakflip toneau cover,magnaflow exhaust,diablo predator,33' trail grapplers,bilstein 5100's,laminx head/fogs,shorty antenna,
Old 08-27-2012, 06:52 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2012 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: Sport Crew
Color: True Blue Pearl
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:1054
LowUFO has much to be proud ofLowUFO has much to be proud ofLowUFO has much to be proud ofLowUFO has much to be proud ofLowUFO has much to be proud ofLowUFO has much to be proud ofLowUFO has much to be proud ofLowUFO has much to be proud of

I use Meguiars Hot Shine. But I spray it generously onto a rag in one spot. Then i wipe half a tire and re-apply it to the rag in the same spot and do the other half of the tire. This way it never sprays off onto the body. And I only let it sit for 15-30mins before driving to be sure. No issues.
Old 10-05-2012, 08:49 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Black
Rep:10
sterling archer is on a distinguished road

I have this same issue and it is all aersol products. I'm a Maquire's fanboy too, they have great products and the tire shine looks amazing...when it's on the tire and not all over the side of my truck. My rig is black so, yeah, you can only imagine. I did think about putting in on a rag first and just wiping it on. I've used those kinds as well and they don't seem to have that issue. So....time to switch.
Old 10-05-2012, 08:54 AM

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram 1500
Color: White
Engine: 2008-20?? 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 310hp 330lb/ft
Rep:1385
snrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud of

Just FYI, nearly all tire shine products cause the rubber to dry out and crack/dry rot. It only shortens the life of the tires and it's purely for looks. Personally I would rather not use it and have the tires last longer. You can still get the tires looking good with other products, I wipe mine down with water mixed with murphy's oil soap.

Breathing in and out is good enough for me.
Old 10-05-2012, 09:05 AM

Vehicle: 2012 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: sport
Color: Black
Rep:161
TimW has a spectacular aura aboutTimW has a spectacular aura about

Adams Tire shine, apply with a sponge applicator, doesn't fling off and lasts forever, best stuff I've ever used