DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > 2ND Generation Dodge Ram 1994 to 2001 Dodge Ram Trucks > Powertrain > 5.2L V8 Specific Topics

Notices

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 04-12-2011, 02:34 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Vehicle: 1998 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: Laramie SLT
Color: Red/Silver
Engine: 1994-2001 318ci (5.2L) Magnum V8 220hp
Rep:26
rlsbee is on a distinguished road
Default Exhaust System 135in vs 139in wheelbase

I have a '98 Ram 1500 with the 5.2 engine. It's a regular cab, 139 inch wheelbase. I've checked all of the exhaust system makers for a single pipe 3" side outlet system.When checking at a jobber site where you can enter the vehicle info, the systems show that they will fit. However, when you check the manufacturer sites, The only truck they show is the extended cab, short bed on a 135 inch wheelbase. I've written to a couple of the manufacturers and they say "sorry, the system shown is for a 135 inch wheelbase. We don't make one for the 139 inch wheelbase." I've been trying to find an extended cab, short bed truck to look at the differences.
I'm thinking that if the hangers are in the right place, I'll be okay with an extension somewhere but I'm not sure. I know I could get it made at a shop but most of their pipes have a kink in the bends. I'd like to have mandrel bent pipes with smooth bends. I realize that may be fussy but the smooth pipes always seem to sound better.
Does anyone know the difference in the exhaust system between a 135 inch and a 139 inch wheelbase truck?
Sponsored links
Old 04-12-2011, 02:54 PM
erm

The best place for an extension would be a 8 to 10 inch tip at the end.

I've also seen short extensions at the muffler inlet and outlet to make up some length. The problem with this is that it may put the bends in the wrong place.

You are correct....the hanger locations may not match but a good shop will be able to torch off the ones that are on the exhaust system and put in a new one on the pipe easily enough.

Ya know what I would do???? Pick the muffler of your choice and have the exhaust shop fab up the tailpipes out to the back. I have found that this approach was cheaper than a fabbed catback that may or may not fit.

I have a single in / dual out Magnaflow on my 07. I did the same thing with my '99.

Total with installation and new pipes was just a bit over $400.
Old 04-26-2011, 10:31 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Vehicle: 1998 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: Laramie SLT
Color: Red/Silver
Engine: 1994-2001 318ci (5.2L) Magnum V8 220hp
Rep:26
rlsbee is on a distinguished road

I ended up putting on a Flowmaster single in/dual out system. Found a great price online. I really like the sound and it has no 'drone' in the cab. That's a whole lot different than my '68 Super Bee with Flowmasters (I like 'em) which really has a 'drone' around 2000 RPM. Anyway, the kit went on real nice and Flowmaster provides good hardware. My only changes would be a preference for the 'band' type clamp rather than u bolts. I also thought the length of unsupported tail pipe was too long. I made a hanger but it would have been nice if one was supplied. Not a complaint just a preference.
Old 04-28-2011, 05:17 PM
erm

Nice setup. Glad it worked out for ya and, yeah, sometimes aftermarket stuff need a bit of tweaking to work well as you experienced with the hanger.