DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > 2ND Generation Dodge Ram 1994 to 2001 Dodge Ram Trucks > Powertrain > 5.9L V8 Specific Topics

Notices

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 12-12-2008, 10:55 AM
heartlandgixxer

Exclamation Now What?

left front wheel bearing went out this week.. Second one in 9 months! this time I replaced the bearing hub and the upper and lower ball joints on that left side also.. Last night I went over some railroad tracks and got a severe shake in the steering wheel so I slowed down some more and it went away.. happened a couple more times that night just driving down the road.. not near as bad but just periodically happened.. Any ideas?

I do have dual shocks on the front and one is blown on the passenger side. Could it be from that? maybe because I didnt change the ball joints on the other side too? bad tie rod bar or drag link bar? wheels fine, tires fine, everything was torqued to specs when I put it all back together, but now this shake every so often.. maybe because the left side is all replaced and tight that the right side is taken all the beating now and is too loose compared to the other side? I'm lost! Any ideas would be great!
Sponsored links
Old 12-17-2008, 11:23 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2000 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4
Trim Level: SLT LARAMIE
Color: Intense Blue Pearl
Engine: 1998-2001 360ci (5.9L) Magnum V8 245hp(standard), 250hp(Sport package)
Rep:11
ph3nom3non03 is on a distinguished road

hi kinda some pointers maybe in your quest, do you work in a shop? the way your talking about torqing everything down but my question is have you had the tires on the rims road forced? because some tires even when they look good can cause this and id suggest finding a shop to check em out best bet of what i do when problems persist on likes yours i lower the psi to around 25 psi in the front leave the rear to spec drive it and it should still have the shake but not as bad as it rolling the bad belt in the tire second did you replace the u-joints in the front end when you did the ball joints? or try taking your front driveshaft out and driving it ( it may be out of balance ) give me some more info and i'll help you out
Old 12-18-2008, 05:59 PM

Vehicle: 2008 Hemi Ram
Trim Level: SLT
Color: White
Rep:62
boostjunkie1 will become famous soon enough
Red face

That is called Death Wobble....... Big Tires wear suspension components faster than stock. You should always replace both sides of your suspension components at the same time. This insures that wear will be equal over time. Search up on Death Wobble. You will see what I'm talking about!
Old 01-25-2009, 03:06 PM
gixxerrider2007

Default death wobble

Quote:
Originally Posted by heartlandgixxer View Post
left front wheel bearing went out this week.. Second one in 9 months! this time I replaced the bearing hub and the upper and lower ball joints on that left side also.. Last night I went over some railroad tracks and got a severe shake in the steering wheel so I slowed down some more and it went away.. happened a couple more times that night just driving down the road.. not near as bad but just periodically happened.. Any ideas?

I do have dual shocks on the front and one is blown on the passenger side. Could it be from that? maybe because I didnt change the ball joints on the other side too? bad tie rod bar or drag link bar? wheels fine, tires fine, everything was torqued to specs when I put it all back together, but now this shake every so often.. maybe because the left side is all replaced and tight that the right side is taken all the beating now and is too loose compared to the other side? I'm lost! Any ideas would be great!
its called death wobble check other side ball joints , biggest reason for death wobble is tire belt if ball joints good, rotate tires dont cross tread pattern fr to rr etc. go over tracks again see if it will wobble the bad belt may have been causing bearing to go bad, and check u joints for binding may feel good but may bind at slight turn.good luck
Old 01-26-2009, 08:55 AM

Vehicle: 08 Ram Quad 1500
Trim Level: slt
Color: silver
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:22
08quadram is on a distinguished road

I had an '83 Jeep Wagoneer that had the dreaded death wobble. They guy I bought it from, had installed a 4" lift at some point. Turned out that the u-bolts had worked loose. no one could find it on a lift until I took it to a guy with an old style lift that lifted from the frame. then it was easy to tell.

"Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and good with catsup" -Doc, IFSJA
Old 01-28-2009, 10:17 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Vehicle: 04 Ram 2500
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Black
Rep:10
acooperjr is on a distinguished road

Check out this steering box stabilizer. http://www.dieselperformance.com/ind...uct/index/151P