DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > 3RD Generation Dodge Ram 2002 to 2008 Dodge Ram Trucks > Body & Interior

Notices

Body & Interior 3rd Gen Dodge Ram Body & Interior Problems and Questions.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 04-30-2011, 05:22 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2005 Dodge Ram Daytona
Trim Level: Quad Cab 4x4
Color: Silver Metallic
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:10
crazygreek89 is on a distinguished road
Default Paint problems

I bought my 05 Daytona back in September and I've loved it since day 1 but I'm having several issues with the truck, primarily paint. It currently has 136,500 miles on it, runs like a champ.

Since I've bought the truck it's had rust problems. The undercarriage is practically all rusted.

My rear bumper is rusted inside and is slowly working its way to the surface paint. I also got hit a few weeks after I bought the truck, so I still have to replace the bumper.

Finally, I noticed the other day, by the drivers side Daytona decal, there are 3-4 rust bubbles forming and underneath both rear wheel wheels, rust forming and paint chipping.

Is there any major paint problems I should be aware of?
Sponsored links
Old 04-30-2011, 05:47 PM
erm

Nope, not really. All paint jobs eventually wear down. I'd be concerned about the bubbles and any rust that may be under them.

From the sound of it and based on where you live, I guess your truck's corrosion issues stem from it being 7 years old in an area that uses corrosive agents to melt ice and snow from the roads in Winter.
Old 04-30-2011, 06:06 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2005 Dodge Ram Daytona
Trim Level: Quad Cab 4x4
Color: Silver Metallic
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:10
crazygreek89 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MADDOG View Post
Nope, not really. All paint jobs eventually wear down. I'd be concerned about the bubbles and any rust that may be under them.

From the sound of it and based on where you live, I guess your truck's corrosion issues stem from it being 7 years old in an area that uses corrosive agents to melt ice and snow from the roads in Winter.
Yeah but I guess 7 years seem kind of bad for a paint job to start rusting and bubbling, even in this area. My brothers 2002 Ford Explorer Sport Trac looks brand new as a daily driver year round. Come to think of it all of my family drive their vehicles year round without an issue like this on any of their vehicles. The bumper is one thing, I can see that, but for paint to start peeling under the wheel wheel, bubbles and rust...wow.

I'm going to take it to a dealer regardless, just to see if there is anything that can be done.
Old 04-30-2011, 06:09 PM
erm

There is something that can be done, however, it won't be a warranty item. They'll say they can repaint it. Just write them a big check and they'll take it on.

I never said that Dodge did a good job on corrosion protection or paint jobs. Historically they haven't, which has been one of the reasons the Dodge and Plymouth brands always seemed to be the lower volume sellers for years.

I was concerned with that having had some experience with an older Dodge pickup some years ago. It seemed to be disintegrating before my eyes!