DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 8.0 Liter V10

Notices

Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 8.0 Liter V10 Discuss modifying your Dodge Ram with Performance Parts and Accessories!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 05-06-2011, 06:58 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 1995 dodge ram 2500
Trim Level: Laramie SLT
Color: Red
Engine: 1994-2001 488ci (8.0L) LA V10 300 hp 450lb/ft
Rep:24
95dodgeV10 is on a distinguished road

mine has 204000 on it right now and the only major work done to it in the past was head gaskets and a valve job. Iv got a spare block thanks to ebay and has since been bored .03 over and fully machined which will be the foundation for the engine build. at the moment everything is on standby but once i have the time and money im going to get a set of heads rotating assembly and an intake and start there then once iv got that all done ill start doing the tedious stuff like ignition parts and so on. ironically i just bought a 02 cummins primary for a daily driver since the v10 is showing its age as well as a toy hauler once the v10 is lifted and possibly not street legal. as far as that came goes is your horsepower and torque made in the higher rpms? cause if possible id like to keep atleast the torque down lower for getting big tires moving without having to use some insane gears in the axles.
Old 05-10-2011, 10:44 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 99 Dodge Ram 2500 V10
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Deep Amethyst
Rep:10
Jesserman is on a distinguished road

Sounds like your going for broke on this thing.
I don't believe I changed the power curve much. I've noticed a small loss in low end power, but that is what hotter cams are designed to do. You are moving the low end to the high end.
If you don't intend to drive this truck on the road, lower gears would be the first thing I'd do. I'd have a gear guy put in the lowest gears to match my desired top speed, not to mention a good locker to withstand big tires.
It sounds like you have a ton of deciding to do. It sounds like fun, but i don't envy the amount of work necessary.
What size axles do you have?
Old 05-11-2011, 08:06 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 1995 dodge ram 2500
Trim Level: Laramie SLT
Color: Red
Rep:24
95dodgeV10 is on a distinguished road

yea it'll be alot of work and ill probably have to have some stuff like suspension work done by someone else cause i dont have much fabrication skill yet and i dont feel like watching an axle leave the truck. Right now the truck is fairly stock with the dana 60 front axle and dana 70 rear which i know can be stout axles with the right internals put in them. For now i havnt committed to too much yet since im not going to be able to start on it for quite some time so the major deciding will start when the project does. But, my goal is to show the guys around here with the big old fords and so on what a v10 dodge can do and for that reason i may keep it just barely street legal but more than likely it wont see too much pavement. the truck is the one i have as my profile picture and i have a few other pictures in the offroading section.