DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 4.7 Liter V8

Notices

Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 4.7 Liter V8 Discuss modifying your Dodge Ram with Performance Parts and Accessories!
Factory Spec: 4.7-liter V8 engine - 310 horsepower, 330 lb-ft of torque.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 05-11-2011, 08:33 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2005 Dodge Ram 1500
Color: White
Engine: 2002-2007 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 235hp 295lb/ft
Rep:10
SoCoJoe is on a distinguished road
Default Spark Plug Upgrades?

I've got an 05 Ram with a 4.7 with 50,000 miles. It has been running great and still is but it's not running as best as it was about 10,000 miles ago when I first started using the programmer. It's time to change the spark plugs because they are still the stock factory ones in it. My question is even with running a programmer would it improve any performance aspects if I upgraded the plugs to lets say a double platinum or iridium, or hotter plug. Or should I just stick the same ole stock plugs back in it for another 30000 miles. Also, other buddies of mine that have stock 4.7 have been running NGK v-power plugs and they run great, but not sure how they would run since I run performance settings. Thanks for yall input.

Oh yea by the way in case all of yall were wondering my programmer is the DiabloSport Predator U7137, which for all of you that are wondering is awesome and would highly recommend!
Old 05-11-2011, 08:41 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 1995 Dodge Ram B2500 Van
Trim Level: SLT - 2500
Color: Deep Molten Pearl Coat, Silver, Grey
Engine: 1994-2001 318ci (5.2L) Magnum V8 220hp
Rep:128
ramvan2500 will become famous soon enoughramvan2500 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCoJoe View Post
I've got an 05 Ram with a 4.7 with 50,000 miles. It has been running great and still is but it's not running as best as it was about 10,000 miles ago when I first started using the programmer. It's time to change the spark plugs because they are still the stock factory ones in it. My question is even with running a programmer would it improve any performance aspects if I upgraded the plugs to lets say a double platinum or iridium, or hotter plug. Or should I just stick the same ole stock plugs back in it for another 30000 miles. Also, other buddies of mine that have stock 4.7 have been running NGK v-power plugs and they run great, but not sure how they would run since I run performance settings. Thanks for yall input.

Oh yea by the way in case all of yall were wondering my programmer is the DiabloSport Predator U7137, which for all of you that are wondering is awesome and would highly recommend!
Plugs other then OEM won't make any performance difference no matter what the advertisers say. The only difference platnium or iridium would make is you don't need to change them as often as OEM. A spark is a spark lets face it, you would get the same results if you smacked a hammer against the ground. Cause we all know detonation is detonation. What does make a performance difference with spark plugs is the gap. Also timing makes a huge performance difference.
Old 05-11-2011, 10:10 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

I understand the differences between all the varieties of plugs that are out on the market, and there are differences in spark plugs due to the variety of heat ranges they can produce for more efficient burn quality. I guess what I meant to ask was if there were any others out there that ran programmers on their trucks and if they had decided to upgrade to a different plug last time they did a tune up did they see any significant difference as far as better gas mileage or smoother ride... basically was there any difference seen whatsoever when running a programmer on your truck between having factory or upgraded plugs?
Old 05-11-2011, 11:32 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 1995 Dodge Ram B2500 Van
Trim Level: SLT - 2500
Color: Deep Molten Pearl Coat, Silver, Grey
Engine: 1994-2001 318ci (5.2L) Magnum V8 220hp
Rep:128
ramvan2500 will become famous soon enoughramvan2500 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCoJoe View Post
I understand the differences between all the varieties of plugs that are out on the market, and there are differences in spark plugs due to the variety of heat ranges they can produce for more efficient burn quality. I guess what I meant to ask was if there were any others out there that ran programmers on their trucks and if they had decided to upgrade to a different plug last time they did a tune up did they see any significant difference as far as better gas mileage or smoother ride... basically was there any difference seen whatsoever when running a programmer on your truck between having factory or upgraded plugs?
It's all bull, that burn stuff is all advertisement. Once fuel burns it burns, the only difference may be heat ranges yes however the OEM spark plug is made for the engine. Also make sure you torque the spark plug because you can have it to loose and then the spark plug might not make it all the way in or you can have it to tight and it reaches to far in. Also just smart anything engine or transmission related best to torque it. Other stuff is just as important but other things may not cost as much whatever.
Thing is just stick with the OEM or at least OEM Substitute plugs. I use Bosch Copper Plus and they work great, I did foul my Bosch Platniums but I need to do a valve job and just haven't found the time. But for now the coppers are doing great the engine sounds much better and especially after I cleaned my throttle body it idles so smooth.

As far as performance chips and stuff I don't believe in all that garbage sorry if this offends some people out there, but im just a old timer like truck guy. I like fuel injection and computers but those stupid expensive chips make no sense in a truck.

Anyways use what you want to use but personally you might not benefit to much from switching. Just be sure to gap them and check the gap even if pre gapped also make sure the reach is the same and to torque them also use anti-seize for the sake of it. 1.29 won't kill you
Old 05-12-2011, 12:14 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

I'm not trying to sound like a dick, but I know how to properly tune vehicles. I'm an ASE certified mechanic and have been working on cars for 15 yrs. Yes there are many great aspects of older mechanically operated vehicles that many people like including myself (love my 86 ramcharger 360 4barrel gas hog), but there are also many aspects of newer electronically controlled vehicles that make it possible for simple "add-on" upgrades, such as programmers to improve multiple applications for a variety of vehicle improvements.. such as: +,- rev limits; alter shift points and firmess; fuel tables; spark control..ect. which in turn can improve your vehicle either by better fuel economy, or greater hp, +tq..ect depending on what your wanting. With the touch of a button you can re-write factory codes that are electronically controled by the vehicles engine or transmission computer. whether or not you think they are garbage, programmers are a great tool to use for any modern vehicle to improve them without having to tear apart the engine/trans/diff to make any improvements.
Old 05-12-2011, 12:20 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

So let me rephrase my question. Has anyone that runs a programmer on their truck changed their spark plugs lately? If so what kind did you use? OE replacement, or did you try something new? Thanks