DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - General Discussion > Dodge Ram General Discussion

Notices

Dodge Ram General Discussion General Chat about the Ram. Please look for other categories to post specific questions in.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 02-09-2009, 02:20 AM
phoenixzro

Default TRX Off Road w/ Hemi or 4.7L V8? That is the question...

Well, got a baby on the way and I own a little coupe. So I'm about to sell my car and get an 09 Ram TRX Off Road That way I have more space in the back seat, can haul my furniture when we move around (in the Army and tired of borrowing friends trucks everytime I move to a different base), and can still retain my manhood (especially after buying a V6 Firebird). I'm seeing on some sites that the Hemi actually gets better MPG than the 4.7 but will cost a little more out the door. Is this true? Does the 4.7 not have the fuel management system that shuts down 4 cylinders when cruising? Also, is the TRX Off Road the best 4X4 for 09 Rams? The dealership guy I'm talking to seems to believe that it is. Or he just trying to sell me a more expensive truck? Help..........
Sponsored links
Old 02-09-2009, 12:36 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Rep:12
kenny senter is on a distinguished road

I have an 02 ram with 4.7L and am getting 15.8mpg according to the on-board computer, but I drive like a gramps most the time. On my 02 it definitely does not have cylinder deactivation. I dont believe the 4.7 does now either. The hemi may cost more out the door, but it is gonna have better power, a better tow rating, and with the cylinder de-activation device will probably achieve better fuel economy. Not so much around town really, but on trips and such you will probably notice a substantial difference. If most of your driving is in-town, I wouldnt really expect to save much from fuel de-activation as you're mostly stop and go and it will not de-activate anything.
Old 02-09-2009, 07:45 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 06 RAM 1500
Trim Level: Big Horn SLT
Color: Silver
Engine: 2002-2007 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 235hp 295lb/ft
Rep:37
ram06bighorn is on a distinguished road

Well My Buddy and I both have 06 1500's He has a Hemi and I have the 4.7 I average around 15 in town and highway if I'm driving a little crazy and I do every now and then but if I baby her on the highway I can get up in the low 20's my buddy's Hemi isn't getting anything close to my MPG even on trips. So I guess it all depends on if you want the Hemi for the power or not I love my 4.7 still has plenty of power and haven't really Moded her yet just a CAI and a leveling kit
Old 02-09-2009, 08:04 PM

Vehicle: 2006 4*4 3/4 Quad, 5.9 Auto
Trim Level: SLT Big Horn
Color: Khaki
cerres is on a distinguished road

I've driven both.. the hemi is sweet, no doubt about but the 4.7 beckons me. Nothing against push rod engines, nothing against the hemi at all but the OHC 4.7 at 310hp is more than sufficient to do anything, anyone wants short of approaching the limits of the truck. That/which I prefer is the "bed plate" build of the 4.7... it's rigid as if Chrysler/Dodge have something more in store for it as it is without doubt one of the two toughest ways to build an engine... the other being a tunnel shaft engine of which, if manufactured would push the front end of a pickup into the ground... they're heavy.
Mileage, all things being equal, if not for the deactivation of four cylinders in the hemi, the 4.7 would get better mileage...
Here's what I did... purchased a 3/4 FWD quad cummins auto... and my mileage is awesome! So was the original price of the pickup over a half ton...
Follow your heart... go with your instinct... bigger doesn't always mean better and everyone's end use is different... as are their reasons for purchasing what they do. For what it's worth, there's a staggering number of 3.7 half tons running around as well... if you live in the flatter lands, it's all you need. Wife has one in her Liberty... not too bad... not too bad at all!

Last edited by cerres; 02-09-2009 at 08:09 PM. Reason: addition
Old 02-09-2009, 10:30 PM

Vehicle: 2008 Hemi Ram
Trim Level: SLT
Color: White
Rep:62
boostjunkie1 will become famous soon enough

I have had every different engine that Chrysler has put into a truck and here is my OPINION.

5.2L : Great Engine backed by a terrible Tranny.... Spark nock BAD 15mpg
5.9L : Gas GUZZLER.....Not enough power over 5.2L to Justify....
4.7L : Great little engine in my Dakota Quad Cab 18mpg....Durango 4.7 15mpgL
5.7L : With non MDS..... Averaged 14 MPG all the time....Powerful..Tranny Stunk
5.7L: With MDS..Highway with Summer Fuel = 18.5 Highway, and 15.7 Mixed
Winter Fuel = 16.7 mpg highway and 14.5 Mixed

The new 4.7L is all that most will ever need. 300+ HP is plenty. I have a heavy boat and the 5.7L is the smallest gas that I would want in front of it. The TQ Curve of the 5.7L is awesome. My Brother has a 2007 4.7L, 4X4, that he cannot get over 15 mpg on the highway no matter what he does. This is the lower output engine. The biggest desciding factor when buying a Truck is what will you need it for. Heavy hauling over 4K or just light duty adventures. If you want the HEMI then you will not be happy with the 4.7L everytime you crank up the truck. Drive Both..... The money saved on the 4.7L will be hard to make up with the slim margine of better MPG you will get from the HEMI.
Old 02-12-2009, 06:20 PM

Vehicle: 2003 dodge ram
Trim Level: SLT
Color: inferno red
HemiHeath82 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to HemiHeath82

I agree, its all about whatever you really want. I have the slt with the off road package and its a non-mds hemi and i wouldnt have it any other way. Then again, some guys wouldnt own a non-mds hemi. But I have a boat and atvs to hauls around, so i wanted that extra pulling power.
Old 02-12-2009, 07:20 PM

Vehicle: 2007 1500 4x4
Trim Level: SLT Big Horn
Color: Brilliant Black Pearl
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:23
07HEMI is on a distinguished road

nice review boostjunkie1
Old 02-12-2009, 07:39 PM

Vehicle: 2008 Hemi Ram