DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > 2ND Generation Dodge Ram 1994 to 2001 Dodge Ram Trucks > Heating & Cooling

Notices

Heating & Cooling 2nd Gen Dodge Ram Heating & Cooling Problems and Questions.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 04-18-2011, 05:30 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 97 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: Laramie SLT
Color: White
Engine: 1994-1997 360ci (5.9L) Magnum V8 230hp
Rep:10
joeson is on a distinguished road
Default Coolant smell and smoke out of vents

I have a 97 1500 slt and everytime or most of the time i have my heater on i smell coolant and sometimes smoke comes out of my defrost vents...i ordered in my heater core already but i dont want to go through the whole replacement process unless necessary. Could this be a failed heater core or a clog somewhere. I dont get any leaks on the passenger floor so what are some tips to check for. Any ideas would help...
Sponsored links
Old 04-18-2011, 06:40 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2002 1500 Ram QC 4x4
Trim Level: SLT
Engine: 2002-2003 360ci (5.9L) Magnum V8 245hp 335lb/ft
Rep:13
mattee is on a distinguished road

It sounds like the core. It is probably not smoke but water vapor. Does your windshield have an oily film on the inside?
Old 04-18-2011, 06:56 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Yep it does and it's a pain to get it off...prob have to get into it this weekend...thanks!!
Old 04-18-2011, 07:13 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2010 Ram Quad Cab 4x4
Trim Level: Big Horn
Color: Inferno Red Pearl
Rep:743
RedRam10 is a splendid one to beholdRedRam10 is a splendid one to beholdRedRam10 is a splendid one to beholdRedRam10 is a splendid one to beholdRedRam10 is a splendid one to beholdRedRam10 is a splendid one to beholdRedRam10 is a splendid one to behold

Hi, Joe. A pinhole leak will pass steam and not leave big puddles. Sounds like the core you have will come in handy.
Old 04-18-2011, 11:58 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRam10 View Post
Hi, Joe. A pinhole leak will pass steam and not leave big puddles. Sounds like the core you have will come in handy.

Thanks bud!!!!!!
Old 05-02-2011, 02:17 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2002 Dodge Ram 1500
Color: Silver
Engine: 2002-2007 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 235hp 295lb/ft
scratz is on a distinguished road

I am extremely interested to know if the new core fixed the problem. I am having the exact same problem. On rainy or high humid days I have extreme thick fog coming out of my vents. There is water that pours out of the passenger side from under the dash, and this past winter, no matter how hot the water temp was, I never got any warm air.

I immediately thought clogged drain, but that doesn't seem to be the case. Need some serious help here as this is a major safety hazard that I need to fix soon.

Thanks for any help (pictures would be nice) anyone can give on how to locate the heater core and it's buddies in crime.
Old 05-17-2011, 01:16 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2001 ram 2500 quad cummins
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Garnet Red
Engine: 2002-2008 226ci (3.7L) Magnum/PowerTech V6 215hp 235lb/ft
kenaustin9 is on a distinguished road

I heard that changing out the heater core is a major pain on the 2001 dodge ram. Anybody out htere done it? Any tips to make it go easier. I have the same problem with fogging windows and smell, and am planning on changing the core.
Old 05-17-2011, 08:08 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2002 Dodge Ram 1500
Color: Silver
Engine: 2002-2007 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 235hp 295lb/ft
scratz is on a distinguished road

I took my 02 into the dealership. Even though up in my last post I said I didn't believe it was a clogged drain, I was wrong. The dealership showed me all the leaves and foam and crud that fell out when they took off the panel. They said the box was full, but they didn't have time to take it apart ( I was in a time crunch).
However, from what I gather from my friend who works with ARI Fleet (google them), the box is supposed to be cleaned out when the heater core is changed. It's just one of those things that are supposed to be done with the job. So, it's apparent that the Dodge dealership didn't do a complete job when they replaced my heater core....

Now, for the funny stuff...
So, I have had to be adding water to my engine for several months now and knew, based on the symptoms described above, it was the heater core. I was going to take it in on Monday. On the Thursday previous, I had to once again add water to it, about 3 gallons as normal. Well, Friday rolled around and I didn't have to add water. I thought maybe someone else did. Then Saturday, no need to add water.... Sunday too....
Unless I'm waaaay wrong, there is no such thing as a leak that repairs itself. Dodge said they put it on a high pressure test and went up to twice the pressure to make it leak. They found no leaks... nothing.. and since last Thursday, I haven't had to add water.........
THAT'S CRAZY - but I'm witness to it....

To answer the above question, it wouldn't hurt to talk to the Dodge dealership and ask them if they can provide the manual for the job. Since to do the job fully will require cleaning out the ACbox, it will require a removal of the dashboard. That's something you dont' want to start w/out a good manual for reference.
Also, as a tip. Take a lot of pictures before you remove anything, as you remove it (video wouldn't hurt) and mark you connectors (bolts, screws, plastic pieces). Nothing worse than things getting jumbled and you forgetting where you are and not having pictures of the "before" look.
This is a very easy thing to do, esp with the proliferation of cell-phone cameras.
Good Luck!
Old 05-17-2011, 08:18 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram 1500 2X4
Trim Level: quad cab SLT
Color: sunburst orange pearl
Rep:2615
GTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond repute

check out the 3 videos on www.heatertreater.net from 2002 dodge ram
the same videos are on youtube along with several others about dodge ram a/c & heaters
http://www.youtube.com/results?searc...dodge+ram&aq=f
likely you will find one on heater core flush & core replacing
Ram 1500 SLT Quad cab, 5.7 HEMI(R) MDS VCT, 5 speed auto 545RFE, 3.55 differential gears, 18" Magnaflow muffler, EGR bug deflector, Bushwacker fender flares, customized Nfab nerf bars, CB radio, Autonet wi-fi router, custom soft tonneau cover, Line_X bedliner, DEBO Step, build date 10/15/08 a Wednesday built vehicle

Last edited by GTyankee; 05-17-2011 at 08:20 PM.