DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - General Discussion > 2011 Dodge Ram Forum

Notices

2011 Dodge Ram Forum For specific discussion of the 2011 Dodge Ram!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 05-19-2011, 02:44 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2011 RAM CC SPORT
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Black
Engine: 1981-1987 225ci (3.7L) Slant-6 95hp
Rep:34
Frank Drebin is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by herc View Post
It's a misconception to think of an open diff as only powering one side. No one directly said that here, but I know lots of folks think that from conversations I've had.

In an open diff, each side gets exactly the same amount of torque, no more or no less (not including a tiny fraction caused by the gearing geometry itself). Also, for a given input (drive-shaft) speed, the COMBINED speed of the two sides will be the same. So, during normal driving down the highway, both wheels are equally powered, at the same speed.

The problem is that since neither wheel can get MORE torque than the other, and since a free-spinning wheel can't accept any torque, the non-spinning wheel doesn't get any either. The free-spinner's speed just increases to twice the speed as would be if both could turn. With the LS, the spinning side uses some technique to grab onto the other side and pull it along, thus transferring EXTRA torque to the side that actually has more traction. For anyone that's into learning about stuff like this, the howstuffworks.com website has TONs of info.

I don't have any scientific testing evidence, but I would think that without an LS, if you could punch hard enough to break both wheels loose at the same time, they would both continue to spin. As one gets more traction than the other, it would start to slow down, speeding the other up. As long as the vehicle started moving enough while both were still spinning, you might be able to lay a good double patch. I'd suspect though that one stripe would be longer than the other.

I too am in the camp of "wish I had it", but I couldn't resist everything else about the 2011 I found on my dealer's lot, but it has the 3:55s. I'm not TOO worried about it though. My '98 didn't have it either, and I even plowed with that. The only real issues I had were when starting on wet or slippery pavement in 2WD. I figure all of the problem cases I had with the old one will be dealt with fine on the new one with the traction control.

For me, it's way better to have it, but certainly not a deal-killer.
Well that post gets a big thumbs up from me. Thanks for the explanation.
Old 05-19-2011, 02:50 PM

Vehicle: 2011 Hemi sport
Trim Level: Sport QC.
Engine: 2009-???? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:10
wannab is on a distinguished road

I am thinking maybe dodge put the lsd in the 11 sports, with the 3.55.
Old 05-19-2011, 03:33 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram 1500 2X4
Trim Level: quad cab SLT
Color: sunburst orange pearl
Rep:2608
GTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond repute

LSD is great to have in mud, snow, slippery boat ramps, as well as the drag strip

for open differentials you have to think about how to get traction, if you have one wheel spinning its harder to get moving, so you have to apply a certain amount of brake pedal to slow the spinning tire & at the same time evenly add just enough throttle for the non spinning axle to get some traction, it is a delicate balance. It is a poor mans LSD.

I believe that you can get 3.55 with LSD, i know that they make a Locker for them,
Randys ring & Pinion sells a lot of YUKON brand
http://www.ringpinion.com/

http://www.drivetrain.com/parts_catalog/positraction/

--------------------------------------------------
don't take this as GOSPEL, it is something that i saw on another site

Latest RAM production updates:

Production scheduled to begin:
AM/FM/CD/DVD/HDD/MP3/NAV (RHR) - 02/14/11
Midnight Blue Pearl Coat (PB8) - 03/21/11
3.55 Axle Ratio (DMD) w/LSD - 04/04/11
3.92 Axle Ratio (DMA) w/LSD - 04/04/11 Discontinued

Power Folding Black TRL Tow Mirrors (GP1) - 04/18/11
Power Folding Chrome TRL Tow Mirrors (GP2) - 04/18/11
P275/60R20 OWL All Season Tires (TUB) - 07/08/11
Chrome Accents Group (AEE) - 08/01/11

more rumors or just all BS
looks like the anti spin will now be available as a separate option for $350.00,and the 3.92s are being discontinued because dodge is going to a 3.99:1 ratio as an option for $25 over the standard 3.55s
the Adventurer is suppose to start this trend, is that what the call the EXPRESS??

the 2011 Ram will end production in 30 days, June 20th the factories will be closed for at least 2 weeks
Ram 1500 SLT Quad cab, 5.7 HEMI(R) MDS VCT, 5 speed auto 545RFE, 3.55 differential gears, 18" Magnaflow muffler, EGR bug deflector, Bushwacker fender flares, customized Nfab nerf bars, CB radio, Autonet wi-fi router, custom soft tonneau cover, Line_X bedliner, DEBO Step, build date 10/15/08 a Wednesday built vehicle

Last edited by GTyankee; 05-19-2011 at 03:55 PM.
Old 05-19-2011, 03:43 PM

Vehicle: 2010 Ram RCSB 4x4
Color: Brilliant Black
Rep:527
BlackRamHemi is a glorious beacon of lightBlackRamHemi is a glorious beacon of lightBlackRamHemi is a glorious beacon of lightBlackRamHemi is a glorious beacon of lightBlackRamHemi is a glorious beacon of lightBlackRamHemi is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by wannab View Post
I am thinking maybe dodge put the lsd in the 11 sports, with the 3.55.
Here's what's new for 2011
Got to http://www.ramtrucks.com/en/, buyer's tools, Build Your Own

...."Anti-Spin" is an option for ALL Rams with 3.21, 3.55 and 3.92 gear ratios now for $325

I've got a 2010 with open rear, 3.55's

It's not a problem for me,
Can even spin BOTH my Heavy 305/50R20 Grappler's on clean dry pavement...

<click for video>

there ya go, just as herc said...one side slightly longer

I can spin just one wheel if the passenger side is in the gravel/dirt and the left one's on dry pavement.

...or if I mount up my little 27" drag radials just before heading to the track
(effective gear ratio drops to 4.30:1) and if there's a little dust on the road full throttle is almost impossible
...even trying to baby it off the line wont help once the massive torque kicks in ...Thanks to my Diablo Trinity

No problem for me on a prepped track though after a short burnout,
and yes both spin out of the water box sending me sideways.
Full throttle launches never spin after that!

For Winter driving my 4x4 is actually as good or better than my old 04' Sport 4x4 Hemi Ram with 3.92/LSD.
The ESP always keeps me going were ever I point her. Good tires make more difference than anything for winter driving.
Terra Grappler's > Good-for-a-Years HP's.

If you can get the anti-spin for $325, its a not a bad deal for the money.
I plan to eventually re-gear to 4.56's and a Detroit True Trac anyways so its' not a deal breaker for me.

Here's a good example of what "can" happen at the track without doing a short burnout to heat the tires up

Left Lane 10' QC Ram Open diff 3.55's stock tires... excessive spinning at launch
Right Lane 10' RC Ram Open diff 3.55's drag tires... (Me) Hooked and Gone!

Murdered.. Lowered.. Alcohol Injected ..Blowered! 500WHP

Last edited by BlackRamHemi; 05-19-2011 at 04:38 PM.
Old 05-19-2011, 04:54 PM

Vehicle: 11 2500 4x4
Trim Level: slt
Color: white
Engine: 2007-2011 409ci (6.7L) Cummins Turbo Diesel 350hp 650lb/ft
Rep:14
tbeaton is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by wannab View Post
My last truck 2004 Nissan Titan had a open rear. That thing only would spin one wheel. Ended up putting in a tru trac.
i hear ya there. my 06 had the same bs. the only time an open dif is good is in the sand. i got stuck a few time in the snow and had i had some type of rear lock i probably would have gotten out. i the rain even with my 35's i could spin the rear very easily. they shouldn't make a truck without it as standard equipment.
11 deep water blue 2500 big horn, 5.7 hemi, 4.10 gears, 6" bds short arm lift, 20x9 -12 offset kmc hoss black wheels, 37x12.5x20 nitto trails, n fab cab length nerf bars, banks muffler w/ lou's custom tubing, pocket flares, top gun customz dual steering stabilizer, mission sled deck.
Old 05-19-2011, 05:19 PM

Vehicle: 2011 Hemi sport
Trim Level: Sport QC.
wannab is on a distinguished road

I really wanted the 392 with the lsd, but i got a really great deal on this truck' I could not pass up for just the rear. I can live with the 3.55, this truck is fast already and I did not even start to bolt stuff on yet.
Old 05-19-2011, 06:24 PM

Vehicle: 2011 Ram 1500 Quad Cab 4x4
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: Deep Water Blue
herc is on a distinguished road

Awesome pics, BRH! And thanks for the one with the patch. I was just thinking that thru as I was writing my post. Nice to see the proof.
Old 05-19-2011, 08:02 PM

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram 1500 Quad Cab
Rep:167
rtkman has a spectacular aura aboutrtkman has a spectacular aura about

I have the open diff too and it has never been an issue. My truck burns both rear tires too.
Old 05-19-2011, 08:55 PM

Vehicle: 2012 Dodge Ram Crew Cab 4X4
Trim Level: Lone Star
Color: Bright Silver Metalic
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:110
RAMTX will become famous soon enoughRAMTX will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by RamMan27 View Post
I really wish I joined this forum a month BEFORE i purchased my Ram. Some very good information on here that would have been nice to know before hand.
Agree with you, I joined the forum after i bought my RAM. I could pick a better truck especially with 3.92 gears. My is 3.55's.
Old 05-19-2011, 10:53 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2011 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Mineral Grey
Billb is on a distinguished road

For the average person that doesn't go off road or to the drag strip, which is probably 95% of us, the 3.55 is great. I just towed a 56 Plymouth on a U-Haul trailer which was about 6,000lbs. total. I went from Vancouver BC. to Denver Co. empty and back with the trailer and the car. 22 MPG. down and 14 MPG. loaded. That is US. gallons. More power and control than needed. I previously had a 04 Dakota with anti spin but never noticed it's worth, but I stay on pavement.