DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Diablo Predator Questions & Info!

Notices

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 05-25-2011, 03:02 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2007 SLT 4x4
Trim Level: SLT
Color: RED
Rep:25
gopherdoctor is on a distinguished road
Arrow Tuner Questions (how do they work??) / Superchips

Found the Diablo board, can't seem to find the Superchips board on here. Trying to decide between the two.

Either way, I like the 4.7L engine on my 2007. Has plenty of power for my application (no towing or heavy loads ever), but honestly it seems to downshift a bit too early on mild uphills which requires frequently downshifting.

Looking at buying a Dodge Superchip Gas Flashpaq (part no. 3865)
-Anyone with experience with this on a 4.7L Flexfuel (or similar)?
-Superchips easy to install and use?
-Will this alleviate my early shifting issue?
-Can you deprogram in case you need warranty work? (truck came with extended warranty)
-Are there risks of engine or drivetrain damage if I use just the stock programmer 87octane perfomance tune?

How do programmers actually improve efficiency and WHY DIDN'T DODGE JUST FINE TUNE THESE ENGINES IN THE FIRST PLACE??

FYI I seem to be leaning towards SuperChips as I really am not interested in "tweaking" a tuner myself. I just want a more or less "set it and forget it" type of tuner.

Thanks,

Gopher
Old 05-25-2011, 11:23 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2007 Ram 5.7L Hemi QC 4X4
Trim Level: Big Horn
Color: Flame Red
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:70
thedvsmonkey will become famous soon enough

Ya know, I got the Diablo Predator and it can be a set it and forget device. I uploaded the 93 tune and forgot! Just cuz you can tweak it doesn't mean you have to tweak it.
Old 05-25-2011, 11:37 AM

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram 1500
Color: White
Engine: 2008-20?? 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 310hp 330lb/ft
Rep:1385
snrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud of

I have the superchips 3865 on my 2010 4.7L. The power gains are almost unbelievable for my year (50hp max gain), I think it is more like 20hp for your year. That is still alot for the money. I love the superchips and would absolutely buy it again, however just an FYI mine has a few glitches, but they are working with me to fix them. My fan on temps are screwed up and they are looking into it. Also I had trouble registering and updating my tuner with my pc, but I assume this was technical difficulty due to them changing over their software/website/etc... at the same time I was trying to do this. You can program it back to stock for warranty/dealership work, and the tuner is easy to use, it takes about 15 minutes to tune your truck. It is safe, can't screw it up. Also, there are no risks to damaging the truck, they actually say that it will improve the longevity of the vehicle by firming shifts and things like that(less slipping = less heat = less wear). Obviously if you drive like a madman it will cause damage, stock or tuned. It's probably the best mod for the money, whether you get superchips or another brand.

Breathing in and out is good enough for me.
Old 05-25-2011, 11:33 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

I feel like the SuperChips tuner would work out best from all the reading I have done. Apparently Superchips has better features/ease of use for my 2007 4.7L.

-By better, firmer shifts does that come with the standard tune on the SuperChips unit or would I need to buy the transmission tuning upgrade ($40)?

Thanks,

Mark
Old 05-26-2011, 08:12 AM

snrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud of

better, firmer shifts comes standard ! I'm not sure what all is included with the advanced trans upgrade I'm not that far yet. Just a side note, you probably will get better gas mileage with the tuner, however, don't expect 5mpg or anything like that, I think I jumped from about an avg of 17mpg on 87 to an avg of 18mpg with 93, so after the fuel premium its basically a wash....I haven't tried the mileage saving tunes, don't really care to, I just wanted the power...

Old 05-26-2011, 04:16 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

The gas mileage isn't a big deal for me. I essentially commute 5 miles to work and back a day. I fill up about once every 2 weeks unless I take a short trip. Ideally, I would like to see the shifts come just a little later so I'm not driving at 40mph at 1200 rpm as the engine just feels bogged down in that gear. My older 5.9L Magnum didn't use to shift so darn early into such a low RPM gear.

Anyone with experience with superchips "stock" tunes that has noted less boggy feeling while driving?
Old 05-26-2011, 04:19 PM

Yeah it makes the shifts a little later and firmer/sharper. Then I'm told that with the advanced tune stuff that you can purchase you can actually set up your own shift schedules. I hate auto trans....lol