DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Diablo Predator Questions & Info!

Notices

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 05-25-2011, 10:29 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2014 ram 1500
Trim Level: Express Blackout
Color: Black
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:10
Bighorn5.7 is on a distinguished road
Default diablo approved modification of 91 tune to run 89 octane???

Has anyone read this or running there trucks this way and if so have you data logged it to check for issues? From what i read you just take the 91 octane tune and pull 2 degrees of of timing at WOT on all 6 set points? In Minnesota we have 87, 89 and 91 or 92 octane fuel available. so its the 87 tune or premim fuel, would like to run mid grade like i did when it was stock and get a little more out of truck then the economy tune. got ds last fall and ran 87 for winter, now playing with the forgotten toy with summer almost here. Not to change subjects bt i also i discovered some info that pepople have beensaying running the 87 octane acceptable as the maual states has given people issues with there hemis and would like to avoid that if there is merit??? Thanks guys!
Sponsored links
Old 05-25-2011, 10:31 PM

Rep:22
MADDOG is on a distinguished road

A standing, strongly worded recommendation from DS and other Hemi powered vehicle owners is to NOT run a higher octane tune with a lower value octane fuel.

If you want to burn 87 fuel, use the 87 performance tune.
Old 05-26-2011, 08:02 AM

I understand what you are saying, thats why i bring it up on here. I can try and attach the info i have that i believe came from the predator forum talking about modifying the 91 canned tune to be able to run 89. If no one has done it i dont really intend on doing it myself as i dont know enough about what i am looking at when i pull up the data logging. Just was looking for a happy medium with the fuel i have available where i am at. I looked at your thread on the predator dyno of your rig on the 91 tune and it is pretty impressive. I also have an 07 and would think i would have a similar result. Just hard to get the wife to understand paying for premium fuel even though it is really nominal additional cost to something that is getting pretty spendy!
Old 05-26-2011, 08:26 AM

17) Running 89 or 100 Octane Fuel
Since the introduction of this tool, many have asked if they can run 89 octane fuel with a Predator tune. The answer is Yes and No! If you are going to install a Canned Tune shipped with the Predator, you Must run at least 91 octane and NO you cannot run 89 octane fuel. Diablosport has authorized using Modify Tune on the Perf 91 or Perf 91 CAI tune, by retarding timing 2 degrees in all six WOT Spark settings to run 89 octane fuels, so in this case, YES you can once timing is retarded 2 degrees as listed. Make sure you log some WOT passes and play them back to insure no LT Retard appeared. Similarly, if you are at the race track and can purchase 100 Octane Low Lead, you can Advance the timing of the 91 octane tune by 4 degrees, maybe 5 with data logging to check for knock.
Now You Should Be A Predator Expert! XE
Old 05-27-2011, 07:58 PM

Well i may give this a go once i have some more expierence with the data logger and get a laptop. For now i am following maddogs advice and am running the same tune and setup he had when his truck was dynoed for the summer anyway!.
Old 05-27-2011, 10:06 PM

Rep:22
MADDOG is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bighorn5.7 View Post
I understand what you are saying, thats why i bring it up on here. I can try and attach the info i have that i believe came from the predator forum talking about modifying the 91 canned tune to be able to run 89. If no one has done it i dont really intend on doing it myself as i dont know enough about what i am looking at when i pull up the data logging. Just was looking for a happy medium with the fuel i have available where i am at. I looked at your thread on the predator dyno of your rig on the 91 tune and it is pretty impressive. I also have an 07 and would think i would have a similar result. Just hard to get the wife to understand paying for premium fuel even though it is really nominal additional cost to something that is getting pretty spendy!
Yup but my truck gets much better mileage on 92 octane gas so I'm doing better than if I was running 89 or 87. Even when stock my truck barely at all on 87, I got shitty mileage on both 87 & 89 and it ran poorly on 89. I've seen what happens to a HEMI with a Predator tune and someone running a lower octane than the tune calls for. Not pretty... So it's probably a wash for me. I could run 89 and get worse mileage or run 92 and get better mileage. I think it would work out to be about the same cost and since the truck runs crappy on 89, I'll run 92 thank you very much.

Quote:
17) Running 89 or 100 Octane Fuel
Since the introduction of this tool, many have asked if they can run 89 octane fuel with a Predator tune. The answer is Yes and No! If you are going to install a Canned Tune shipped with the Predator, you Must run at least 91 octane and NO you cannot run 89 octane fuel. Diablosport has authorized using Modify Tune on the Perf 91 or Perf 91 CAI tune, by retarding timing 2 degrees in all six WOT Spark settings to run 89 octane fuels, so in this case, YES you can once timing is retarded 2 degrees as listed. Make sure you log some WOT passes and play them back to insure no LT Retard appeared. Similarly, if you are at the race track and can purchase 100 Octane Low Lead, you can Advance the timing of the 91 octane tune by 4 degrees, maybe 5 with data logging to check for knock.
Now You Should Be A Predator Expert! XE
Interesting info for sure. I see they want you to log and make sure there's no LT Retard so that tells me that they aren't sure about this and would like US to test it. Uhm.....No Thanks, DS. I'm just fine with the way things are.

Quote:
Well i may give this a go once i have some more expierence with the data logger and get a laptop. For now i am following maddogs advice and am running the same tune and setup he had when his truck was dynoed for the summer anyway!.
Good luck with that tune. I like it in mine a lot. I'm thinking I might splurge on a CMR tune to see just what we get!
Old 05-29-2011, 09:05 PM

Yeah, Would love to see what you come up with! I have a local shop with a dyno 5 miles away but have read some very negative things about them so I would rather ride your coat tails before i hire them to do anything. They are a ds dealer also so i guess i am lucky they are close if they know what they are doing??? I will watch my mileage with the tune and see what i get. I will admit the truck does seem to be running smoother for sure. It does pull a little harder at WOT and i ran a 0-60 with the edge and it was 3 tenths faster then the 87 tune. i get about 13 in city on the 87 tun and around 18 on the highway with no mds and not over about 70mph. Will see what the tune does for the mpgs, i actually drive the truck nice most of the time so it should be interesting??? other wise i may give a try to 89 octane with the 87 tune and see if i get the smoother running results i have with this tune after the summer or fuel jumps up a chunk again. Thanks!