DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > 4TH Generation Dodge Ram 2009+ Dodge Ram Trucks > Towing

Notices

Towing 4th Gen Dodge Ram Towing Questions

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 05-30-2011, 03:48 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Rep:10
kraftfahrer is on a distinguished road
Default Towing and 4WD auto?

Dear all,
I would love some advice on towing with my 2010 Ram 1500 Laramie 4WD with 3.92 axle ratio. I will tow a 4500 LBS 2 axle trailer on a highway, which at times is an actual mountain highway. So I have several things that trouble me.

One is, I am afraid of overheating. I would appreciate some advice on what temperature (oil and transmission) is too high, so that I know when I need to stop to let it cool down a bit.

The other thing is, that I would like to know if, besides the TOW HAUL button which I will engage, the 4WD AUTO mode can be of any help at all (remember it is a paved highway), or if the use of it can prove even to worsen condition or even damage the transmission.

Any advice is much appreciated!

Thank you all.
Sponsored links
Old 05-30-2011, 03:54 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: Laramie 4x4
Color: Inferno Red / Light Greystone Pearl
Rep:82
Netman66 will become famous soon enough

4Auto is still 2WD until the rear wheels start to lose traction, at which point the front driveshaft is brought online to increase traction.

Keep in mind that 4Auto engages the front axle so you are creating more resistance than you would be in 2WD.

I would advise against 4Auto while towing unless it's in less than ideal traction.
Old 05-30-2011, 05:05 PM
erm

Don't use 4WD when towing unless you are towing slowly in conditions that require 4WD. Towing on a paved highway does not require 4WD nor is it recommended.

With respects to the trans & oil temp, can you monitor them?

With 3.92's and a hitch on your truck, and I assume those were on the truck new; then you already have a transmission oil cooler and HD coolant capacity. I would get a build sheet to see if you have the engine oil cooler too. If not, just have the dealer put one in and yer good to go.

That trailer weight is way under your tow capacity so you should not have any coolant or lube problems.

If you tow a lot, one suggestion is to get an aftermarket rear diff cover that has cooling fins and that will increase the fluid capacity. That will keep your differential lube nice and cool while towing.

If you are really worried about the engine oil temp and trans temp, check with your service writer at the dealership on what he knows the max should be. I assume you can monitor one or both through your EVIC?
Old 05-30-2011, 05:41 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram 1500 2X4
Trim Level: quad cab SLT
Color: sunburst orange pearl
Rep:2615
GTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond repute

I didn't see any engine size stated, is it a 5.7L ?
Did the Ram come from the factory with a hitch receiver?
Do you still have a window sticker, if you do look for the words STANDARD EQUIPMENT, then look under those words for HEAVY DUTY ENGINE COOLING & HEAVY DUTY TRANSMISSION OIL COOLER

then look on the right side of the sheet, down where it reads DESTINATION CHARGE, look up a couple lines, does it read CLASS IV RECEIVER HITCH

if you have a 5.7L along with Heavy Duty stuff & a CLASS IV receiver
haul ass with your trailer & just check your rear view mirror to see if the trailer is still there & no cops are behind you
Ram 1500 SLT Quad cab, 5.7 HEMI(R) MDS VCT, 5 speed auto 545RFE, 3.55 differential gears, 18" Magnaflow muffler, EGR bug deflector, Bushwacker fender flares, customized Nfab nerf bars, CB radio, Autonet wi-fi router, custom soft tonneau cover, Line_X bedliner, DEBO Step, build date 10/15/08 a Wednesday built vehicle
Old 06-01-2011, 08:07 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Rep:10
kraftfahrer is on a distinguished road

Hello and thanks for these answers.

Yes, it is a 5.7 HEMI 2010 model (Laramie).

Yes, it has the EVIC, so I can monitor my temperatures. But still, I need to know when it is too hot, because in the manual no actual temperature value is stated (or so I remember...).

And yes, it had the hitch from the factory.

But because it is a special import and I am in Europe, there no Dodge Ram dealerships around here, meaning no real experts can be easily found locally. Also, because it is an import, I did not get the original delivery sheet. It would be nice if there was some other way to understand if I have the heavy duty coolers, like from the codes in the serial number? Or by some special EVIC combination/ secret menu?

Thanks