DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > 2ND Generation Dodge Ram 1994 to 2001 Dodge Ram Trucks > Powertrain > 5.9L V8 Specific Topics

Notices

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 05-24-2011, 07:12 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 1997 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: SLT Laramie
Color: White
Engine: 1994-1997 360ci (5.9L) Magnum V8 230hp
Rep:10
pickupman is on a distinguished road
Default Shudder, vibration or misfire under light to moderate throttle

Things have improved after replacing my plenum pan gasket but there is a slight shudder/vibration/misfire(?) under load and light throttle while going up slight to moderate inclines, if I give it more gas and it shifts everything seems to be smooth. Also, I have had an issue a few times where the engine will die right after starting it up. It has also died once or twice while driving at a slow speed (less than 5mph). Also... There is a slight shudder while coming to a complete stop while in gear, I tried stopping while in neutral earlier tonight and didn't notice the same vibration. One more thing to add is that even after I replaced my rear brakes and I KNOW they work well, when I throw the parking brake on, put it in park and let off the brakes, the truck can still move forward and backwards a bit(ujoints?) I adjusted the throttle valve cable bracket the other day thinking that it might improve if it was a torque converter slippage issue but the symptoms have not improved. My next step was going to be checking and cleaning the TPS and also doing a compression check. I am definitely doing this this weekend and would appreciate some advice on whether or not you think I am heading in the right direction. I guess I should check my 02 sensors while I'm at it and am not sure how but I'll search around and see if I can find a how-to. When i replaced the plenum gasket i also replaced the intake manifold gaskets, cap, rotor, spark plug wires and rerouted them, spark plugs, cleaned the throttle body and plenum and installed a 180 deg thermostat which is getting replaced with a 195 before next winter.
Sponsored links
Old 05-24-2011, 08:59 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 1995 Dodge Ram B2500 Van
Trim Level: SLT - 2500
Color: Deep Molten Pearl Coat, Silver, Grey
Engine: 1994-2001 318ci (5.2L) Magnum V8 220hp
Rep:127
ramvan2500 will become famous soon enoughramvan2500 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by pickupman View Post
Things have improved after replacing my plenum pan gasket but there is a slight shudder/vibration/misfire(?) under load and light throttle while going up slight to moderate inclines, if I give it more gas and it shifts everything seems to be smooth. Also, I have had an issue a few times where the engine will die right after starting it up. It has also died once or twice while driving at a slow speed (less than 5mph). Also... There is a slight shudder while coming to a complete stop while in gear, I tried stopping while in neutral earlier tonight and didn't notice the same vibration. One more thing to add is that even after I replaced my rear brakes and I KNOW they work well, when I throw the parking brake on, put it in park and let off the brakes, the truck can still move forward and backwards a bit(ujoints?) I adjusted the throttle valve cable bracket the other day thinking that it might improve if it was a torque converter slippage issue but the symptoms have not improved. My next step was going to be checking and cleaning the TPS and also doing a compression check. I am definitely doing this this weekend and would appreciate some advice on whether or not you think I am heading in the right direction. I guess I should check my 02 sensors while I'm at it and am not sure how but I'll search around and see if I can find a how-to. When i replaced the plenum gasket i also replaced the intake manifold gaskets, cap, rotor, spark plug wires and rerouted them, spark plugs, cleaned the throttle body and plenum and installed a 180 deg thermostat which is getting replaced with a 195 before next winter.
The torque converter doesn't slip especially since it would be a lock up torque converter however it would need to be at a certain rpm in order for the lockup to occur. The shudder from the torque converter isn't good. You should have your transmission fluid completely changed not by removing the pan but by having a ATF exchanger hooked up to the cooler lines. You should do a smart blend. If the bands haven't been adjusted and need adjustment then their will be transmission slip and if your low on transmission fluid their will be slip.
Old 05-25-2011, 09:43 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 1997 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: SLT Laramie
Color: White
Engine: 1994-1997 360ci (5.9L) Magnum V8 230hp
pickupman is on a distinguished road

Thanks for your response! I've checked the tranny fluid and it looks pink and good. Wouldn't a bad torque converter cause the fluid to deteriorate, the rpms to rise and be worse under heavy vs light load when there is more power being transfered to the TC? Thanks!
Old 05-25-2011, 01:10 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 1995 Dodge Ram B2500 Van
Trim Level: SLT - 2500
Color: Deep Molten Pearl Coat, Silver, Grey
Engine: 1994-2001 318ci (5.2L) Magnum V8 220hp
Rep:127
ramvan2500 will become famous soon enoughramvan2500 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by pickupman View Post
Thanks for your response! I've checked the tranny fluid and it looks pink and good. Wouldn't a bad torque converter cause the fluid to deteriorate, the rpms to rise and be worse under heavy vs light load when there is more power being transfered to the TC? Thanks!
Alot of things can cause the fluid to break down. Try adding some smart blend. If you want you could just have the atf exchanged and put some good stuff in this ways the Torque Converter has need fluid. OR You could just have the transmission drained and replace the Tor Con. But I doubt its the Tor Con. But I would have to be their and drive the truck in different situations to really get a feel for it. I mean this is like telling you how to do heart surgery over the web. Not easy!
Old 06-01-2011, 10:25 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2001 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: Laramie- SLT
Color: Red over Gray
Engine: 1998-2001 360ci (5.9L) Magnum V8 245hp(standard), 250hp(Sport package)
swmpsngr is on a distinguished road

If you have replaced your plugs with a premium brand like E-3 or Bosch, try going back to the OEM plugs. I had a similar problem and found it to be the E-3 spark plugs were causing the problem. Went back to Champions and it cleared right up.