DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - General Discussion > 2011 Dodge Ram Forum


Notices

2011 Dodge Ram Forum For specific discussion of the 2011 Dodge Ram!


Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 05-31-2011, 01:36 AM
Whisky Creek Whisky Creek is offline
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: BC, Canada
Posts: 4
Gender: Male
Vehicle: 2005 3500 SRW & 2011 3500 DRW
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: Red/Silver
Engine: 2007-???? 409ci (6.7L) Cummins Turbo Diesel 350hp 650lb/ft
Rep Power: 0
Rep:10
Whisky Creek is on a distinguished road
Question 4.10 axle ratio, rpm vs speed????

Hey guys. I ordered my 2011 Ram 3500 Dually a few months ago with a 4.10 axle ratio. I just picked it up last week and immediately pulled a trailer load of horses home to warm it up. (Amounted to about a 10000 lb total trailer weight) Then on the truck's second trip, yesterday, I hooked onto my tri-axle 28 ft stock trailer and loaded some cattle - 9 pairs, 1 heifer and a bull - into the three holes and took pulled them 350 km to another property for summer grazing. I weighed 14680 kg gross weight at the scales, and 6670 kg on the way home with the empty trailer. The cattle weighed 8010 kg (or a little over 17600 lbs) and I think the aluminum trailer weighs about 3500 lbs.
I managed to squeak under the legal GVWR licensed weight by 319 kgs, WITH all axle weights being legal as well! (Wow, even a blind dog finds a bone now and then!)
The truck pulled the load awesomely and I am REALLY impressed with the "hold back" capabilities of the factory exhaust brake on hills. Steep hills in the BC mountains here with that kind of weight and I didn't have to touch the brakes much at all, and not at all on many hills. As this is my "first" Ram equipped with an auto, I was a bit worried about it. With the exhaust brake on this truck, it easily out performs my 05 Ram with the manual tranny on the "down hill".

Anyways, sorry about the tangent, finally onto my question. How do you verify your axle ratio, easily? Short of putting it up on blocks...
I ordered it with 4.10 axle and I verified that information is on the order sheet, but I expected to have to tolerate much higher rpms at highway speed with the 4.10.
This truck has the 6 speed automatic transmission in it.
At 100 km per hour I am showing 1700 RPM when it is in 6th gear.
With the 6 speed manual transmission in my 2005 Ram, I am running about 2000 rpm to get the same 100 km/hr.

Does the fact that it is an automatic transmission have something to do with this difference?

What "actual" (ie: personally verified, not rumoured) rpm are you other guys getting with your 2011 Ram, 6 speed auto, 4.10 axle ratio'd trucks at 100 km/hr (60mph)?

Thanks...
Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
  #2  
Old 05-31-2011, 01:46 AM
brad12kx's Avatar
brad12kx brad12kx is offline
Just some guy in Canada


 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Brandon, MB
Posts: 22,792
Gender: Male
Vehicle: 2010 Ram 1500 QC
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Black
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep Power: 21
Rep:2581
brad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond repute
Default

That sounds right.
The auto trans has 2 OD gears. Your old manual only had 1 OD gear.
I take it you 'Did Not' use tow/haul....
__________________
brad

Interested in one of my mods?
If it's underlined, it's a link to that mods thread.

2010 Ram 1500 Hemi Sport, 3.92, Leather, NAV, Alpine, Sunroof, Trailer tow, Brake Contoller, Rear Cam
Mods - 3M clear protect, Decals removed, Electric Tailgate Lock, Tow Hooks, Skid Plates, Bed Rug, Pace Edwards Bedlocker Electric Tonneau, Timbren Rear SES, Tinted Tail Lights, Debadged, Grill Blacked Out, Shorty Antenna, Black Chromed Emblems, Lightly tinted front windows, DS Predator, Cabin Air Filter, K&N Drop In, Mufflex (Magnaflo) DOD24M, Sonnax line pressure booster, Volant CAI
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 05-31-2011, 01:54 AM
Whisky Creek Whisky Creek is offline
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: BC, Canada
Posts: 4
Gender: Male
Vehicle: 2005 3500 SRW & 2011 3500 DRW
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: Red/Silver
Engine: 2007-???? 409ci (6.7L) Cummins Turbo Diesel 350hp 650lb/ft
Rep Power: 0
Rep:10
Whisky Creek is on a distinguished road
Default

Brad,
Umm, possibly not on the way back with the empty trailer. Did use it when loaded with the cattle. Does the tow/haul make a difference to the rpm? Does it not let it go into the last OD gear?
Thanks
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 05-31-2011, 01:56 AM
Whisky Creek Whisky Creek is offline
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: BC, Canada
Posts: 4
Gender: Male
Vehicle: 2005 3500 SRW & 2011 3500 DRW
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: Red/Silver
Engine: 2007-???? 409ci (6.7L) Cummins Turbo Diesel 350hp 650lb/ft
Rep Power: 0
Rep:10
Whisky Creek is on a distinguished road
Default

Brad,
Also, if yes to the post above, is the 4.10 ratio actually happening in the 4th gear then? Anyone know a link to show the ratio through all the gears?
Thanks
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 05-31-2011, 02:14 AM
Gene K Gene K is offline
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: USA
Posts: 312
Gender: Male
Vehicle: 2010 Ram 1500 Crew Cab 4x4
Trim Level: ST
Color: White
Engine: 2008-???? 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 310hp 330lb/ft
Rep Power: 0
Rep:11
Gene K is on a distinguished road
Default

The 68RFE gear ratios are:
1st 3.23:1
2nd 1.83:1
3rd 1.41:1
4th 1.00:1
5th 0.81:1
6th 0.62:1
Reverse 4.44:1

4.10 x 664 (Rough estimate of tire rpm with 245/75R17) / 60 = 45.37 rpm per mph in direct (4th)

100 kmh (Estimated)
4th - 2813 rpm
5th - 2279 rpm
6th - 1744 rpm
__________________
Gene

Last edited by Gene K; 05-31-2011 at 02:16 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 05-31-2011, 01:49 PM
Whisky Creek Whisky Creek is offline
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: BC, Canada
Posts: 4
Gender: Male
Vehicle: 2005 3500 SRW & 2011 3500 DRW
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: Red/Silver
Engine: 2007-???? 409ci (6.7L) Cummins Turbo Diesel 350hp 650lb/ft
Rep Power: 0
Rep:10
Whisky Creek is on a distinguished road
Default

Awesome guys. Thanks for that info Gene.
With that kind of 6th gear rpm, it makes me wonder, why would someone need to go to 3.73 or 3.42???
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 06-01-2011, 11:57 PM
dem123 dem123 is offline
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Atlanta
Posts: 2
Gender: Male
Vehicle: 2011 Laramie Longhorn
Trim Level: Laramie Longhorn
Color: White
Engine: 2007-???? 409ci (6.7L) Cummins Turbo Diesel 350hp 650lb/ft
Rep Power: 0
Rep:10
dem123 is on a distinguished road
Default

I have a 4.10 in mine and the RPM is the same as yours. The auto is the way to go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whisky Creek View Post
Hey guys. I ordered my 2011 Ram 3500 Dually a few months ago with a 4.10 axle ratio. I just picked it up last week and immediately pulled a trailer load of horses home to warm it up. (Amounted to about a 10000 lb total trailer weight) Then on the truck's second trip, yesterday, I hooked onto my tri-axle 28 ft stock trailer and loaded some cattle - 9 pairs, 1 heifer and a bull - into the three holes and took pulled them 350 km to another property for summer grazing. I weighed 14680 kg gross weight at the scales, and 6670 kg on the way home with the empty trailer. The cattle weighed 8010 kg (or a little over 17600 lbs) and I think the aluminum trailer weighs about 3500 lbs.
I managed to squeak under the legal GVWR licensed weight by 319 kgs, WITH all axle weights being legal as well! (Wow, even a blind dog finds a bone now and then!)
The truck pulled the load awesomely and I am REALLY impressed with the "hold back" capabilities of the factory exhaust brake on hills. Steep hills in the BC mountains here with that kind of weight and I didn't have to touch the brakes much at all, and not at all on many hills. As this is my "first" Ram equipped with an auto, I was a bit worried about it. With the exhaust brake on this truck, it easily out performs my 05 Ram with the manual tranny on the "down hill".

Anyways, sorry about the tangent, finally onto my question. How do you verify your axle ratio, easily? Short of putting it up on blocks...
I ordered it with 4.10 axle and I verified that information is on the order sheet, but I expected to have to tolerate much higher rpms at highway speed with the 4.10.
This truck has the 6 speed automatic transmission in it.
At 100 km per hour I am showing 1700 RPM when it is in 6th gear.
With the 6 speed manual transmission in my 2005 Ram, I am running about 2000 rpm to get the same 100 km/hr.

Does the fact that it is an automatic transmission have something to do with this difference?

What "actual" (ie: personally verified, not rumoured) rpm are you other guys getting with your 2011 Ram, 6 speed auto, 4.10 axle ratio'd trucks at 100 km/hr (60mph)?

Thanks...
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 06-02-2011, 12:35 AM
brad12kx's Avatar
brad12kx brad12kx is offline
Just some guy in Canada


 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Brandon, MB
Posts: 22,792
Gender: Male
Vehicle: 2010 Ram 1500 QC
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Black
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep Power: 21
Rep:2581
brad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond repute
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whisky Creek View Post
Brad,
Umm, possibly not on the way back with the empty trailer. Did use it when loaded with the cattle. Does the tow/haul make a difference to the rpm? Does it not let it go into the last OD gear?
Thanks
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whisky Creek View Post
Brad,
Also, if yes to the post above, is the 4.10 ratio actually happening in the 4th gear then? Anyone know a link to show the ratio through all the gears?
Thanks
Yes to both.
I see Gene K has you covered with the gear ratios.

Enjoy your Ram!
__________________
brad

Interested in one of my mods?
If it's underlined, it's a link to that mods thread.

2010 Ram 1500 Hemi Sport, 3.92, Leather, NAV, Alpine, Sunroof, Trailer tow, Brake Contoller, Rear Cam
Mods - 3M clear protect, Decals removed, Electric Tailgate Lock, Tow Hooks, Skid Plates, Bed Rug, Pace Edwards Bedlocker Electric Tonneau, Timbren Rear SES, Tinted Tail Lights, Debadged, Grill Blacked Out, Shorty Antenna, Black Chromed Emblems, Lightly tinted front windows, DS Predator, Cabin Air Filter, K&N Drop In, Mufflex (Magnaflo) DOD24M, Sonnax line pressure booster, Volant CAI
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 06-02-2011, 02:09 AM
GTyankee's Avatar
GTyankee GTyankee is online now
Dodge Ram Forum Member

 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: San Diego East County, Ca
Posts: 19,029
Gender: Male
Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram 1500 2X4
Trim Level: quad cab SLT
Color: sunburst orange pearl
Rep Power: 20
Rep:2615
GTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond repute
Default

Whisky Creek you made the right call on the rear end
i think i saw a question about gear ratios & i may be able to answer it
it is a common mistake they many people make, myself included many years ago

torque is pulling power, using the same engine you can get more pulling power using the transmission & or rear end ratio

taking your 6.7 L engine as an example
you have 2 choices of transmission, standard or automatic, the lower gears in the transmission allow the engine to produce more torque, the more torque the more you can pull
next lets just say you have the automatic transmission & the 6.7L engine, the transmission knows when to shift, whether it is on a hill or flat land, it shifts accordingly

now you toss in the rest of the drive train, the rear end gears
Here is where a lot of people get confused
you have an engine that is more than adequate to supply the horse power
you have an automatic transmission that can read what gear it needs to be in
you have a rear end that can have different ratios, you buy what you need the vehicle to do
the 3.42 is usually a very TALL gear, great for mileage & low RPM, not so good for towing, because of LOW TORQUE
the 3.73 is a bit more of a fuel user, a bit higher RPM to do the same speed, a bit better for towing
the 3.92 or 3.99 are mid range rear end ratios, you lose more MPG, your torque increases as does your RPM doing the same speed, easily pull 4 horses any where
then we are at your 4.10s, less MPG again, your RPM increases doing that same speed, but, you can pull almost anything any where, because your torque is way up from the others
then you have other ratios like the 4.56, etc. again less MPG, higher RPMs, tons of Torque
__________________
Ram 1500 SLT Quad cab, 5.7 HEMI(R) MDS VCT, 5 speed auto 545RFE, 3.55 differential gears, 18" Magnaflow muffler, EGR bug deflector, Bushwacker fender flares, customized Nfab nerf bars, CB radio, Autonet wi-fi router, custom soft tonneau cover, Line_X bedliner, DEBO Step, build date 10/15/08 a Wednesday built vehicle
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
3.55 Axle Ratio vs. 3.92 Axle Ratio sincebeen Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 4.7 Liter V8 30 05-25-2013 08:00 PM
Speedometer calibration after gear swap? Red05Ram Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 5.7 HEMI V8 14 03-17-2011 12:22 AM
axle ratio and towing vitaminp Custom Chassis - Drive Line - Suspension - Wheels and Tires - LIFTING - Dodge Ram 4x4, 2x4 3 08-03-2010 12:46 AM
Axle Ratio Shades64 2010 Dodge Ram Forum 16 03-28-2010 06:58 PM
Rear end confusion dirtsurferus Suspension 6 12-30-2009 09:25 AM


Advertisement






All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:07 PM.


= Copyright RamForumZ.com a Gigathreads.com Network Site =Ad Management by RedTyger
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vB.Sponsors


=Gigathreads Network=
CLUBS MOPAR NATION DSM GPMM MAMM JAM
DIESEL Diesel Forum      
CHEVY Chevy Camaro Forum Chevy Volt Forum    
CHRYSLER Chrysler 300C Forum      
DODGE Dodge Avenger Forum Dodge Caliber Forum Dodge Challenger Forum Dodge Charger Forum
  Dodge Circuit Forum Dodge Hornet Forum Dodge Magnum Forum Dodge Nitro Forum
  Dodge Ram Forum Dodge Dakota Forum Dodge Durango Forum Dodge Dart Forum
FORD Ford Raptor Forum Ford F150 Forum Ford F100 Forum  
JEEP Jeep Forum      
PONTIAC Pontiac G8 Forum      
SRT SRT Viper Forum SRT Cuda Forum