DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > Dodge Ram Detailing and General Maintenance Forum > Washing & Waxing

Notices

Washing & Waxing Washing and Waxing your Dodge Ram! Talk about it here!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 06-02-2011, 10:46 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2013 Ram Sport 1500 True Blue
Rep:91
nikeman will become famous soon enough

Thanks guys! No one answered the question about sudding up the entire truck before I rinse it off. Is this safe or will the turtle wax ice soap damage the paint if it stays on it to long?
Old 06-03-2011, 12:05 AM

Vehicle: 1998 Dodge Dakota
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Red
Engine: 1994-2001 318ci (5.2L) Magnum V8 220hp
Rep:276
Leadfootluke is a jewel in the roughLeadfootluke is a jewel in the roughLeadfootluke is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikeman View Post
Thanks guys! No one answered the question about sudding up the entire truck before I rinse it off. Is this safe or will the turtle wax ice soap damage the paint if it stays on it to long?
I would not do that. I would wash one panel at a time and rinse. Unless you have deionized water and perfect variables, it will not work very well for you. Many detailers use a foam gun to lay a layer of soap on the paint before rinsing. This allows the chemicals in the soap to remove the dirt, then you rinse it without ever touching it with your mitt [no contact = no marring of the paint], then refoam the paint and wash it with your mitt. IF the surface of your paint is cool to the touch, and it's not hot or sunny out, you could try to sud up the entire truck, but when the water dries it will leave spots, so try to avoid that.

If you get a chance, look into purchasing Meguiar's Gold Class car Shampoo, or some Duragloss shampoo. Those will both serve you very well.
Old 06-03-2011, 09:57 AM

Vehicle: 2013 Ram Sport 1500 True Blue
Rep:91
nikeman will become famous soon enough

What makes those 2 products better than Turtle Wax Ice soap? I bought that because so many people on here were recommending it...
Old 06-03-2011, 07:39 PM

Vehicle: 2013 Dodge Ram Laramie 4x4
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: Deep Cherry Red Crystal Pearl
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:342
Pull Ya is a jewel in the roughPull Ya is a jewel in the roughPull Ya is a jewel in the roughPull Ya is a jewel in the rough

We all use different products, usually based upon how a particular product has performed for us in the past and based on recommendations from people we trust. Some people like the products that are readily available at a parts store or a big box store, and others like the products that are sold generally to professional detailers in bulk amounts(usually gallons). Most of these are not available in parts stores etc. Nothing is wrong with your choices and they should do what you are looking for, a quick and easy way to make your truck look better and give the finish a bit of protection.
Jay
Old 08-23-2011, 02:11 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2011 Ram 2500 Diesel
Trim Level: SLT Big Horn
Color: Deep Cherry Red
Engine: 2007-2011 409ci (6.7L) Cummins Turbo Diesel 350hp 650lb/ft
Rep:10
836byK9 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikeman View Post
The Adam's soap is designed/formulated to be left on until you are ready to rinse. It is made to be pH neutral. I would also recommend using soft water to get the most out of the Adam's soap. My dad turned me on to Adam's several years ago. He builds street rods and Adam's polishes is all he uses. Every time I wash my vehicle's I leave the soap on it until I'm ready to rinse. The Charger I had was black and I never had a problem with leaving it on. Even in the hot Kalifornia sun. I probably wouldn't try it with any other products unless they are formulated to be pH neutral. Thats the key... so I've been told.
Old 08-23-2011, 11:58 PM

Vehicle: 1998 Dodge Dakota
Color: Red
Engine: 1994-2001 318ci (5.2L) Magnum V8 220hp
Rep:276
Leadfootluke is a jewel in the roughLeadfootluke is a jewel in the roughLeadfootluke is a jewel in the rough

To answer your question from a while ago as well, even with Adam's and other soaps, do not leave it to dry in the sun. Even though Adams and other companies create these soaps, do your self a favor and wash your car in the shade when it is cool. Tools like foam guns are made to let soap cling to the paint and lift the dirt from the finish. CAR soaps are safe for the finish, but leaving any soap on too long will just make rinsing/drying tougher.
Old 08-24-2011, 01:07 PM

Vehicle: 2009 dodge ram 1500
Color: Brilliant Black
Rep:713
platinuminjected is a splendid one to beholdplatinuminjected is a splendid one to beholdplatinuminjected is a splendid one to beholdplatinuminjected is a splendid one to beholdplatinuminjected is a splendid one to beholdplatinuminjected is a splendid one to beholdplatinuminjected is a splendid one to behold

i agree dont let any brand of soap dry on your vehicle if you can help it
MODS... tinted windows,cf dash kit,6000 k fogs and low beam,heavy duty rubber mud flaps,recon tails 3rd break,L.E.D liscenceplate,reverse lights,factory side steps,afe intake,bakflip toneau cover,magnaflow exhaust,diablo predator,33' trail grapplers,bilstein 5100's,laminx head/fogs,shorty antenna,