DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - General Discussion > 2011 Dodge Ram Forum

Notices

2011 Dodge Ram Forum For specific discussion of the 2011 Dodge Ram!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 06-03-2011, 11:43 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2011 Ram
Trim Level: Sport Crew w/Rambox
Color: Deep Cherry Red
Engine: 2009-???? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:36
moose3 is on a distinguished road
Default Bakflip F1 Rambox Full True Review

Well everyone here is my review of the Bakflip F1 for Rambox.

It took about a week for my Bakflip to arrive. It was packed very well, everything was nice and tidy in the package. I watched a video of the install on Youtube and the instructions feature color photos, so the installation process is not to hard to get figured out. The kit installs with just basic hand tools.

I bought this cover because I needed something that was easy to remove/fold up on a fairly regular basis, and I haul motorcycles so I couldn’t have the wasted 6 inches at the top side of the bed, that is where front wheel of a bike hits. I also wanted a cover that I could sit something on. Now that the cover is installed it looks great, the rubber flaps that go all the way around the edge lay and down and seal very nicely, they have a decent amount of pressure on them to keep them sealed up. The cover folds up easily and can be put in the locked upright position with ease. The cover doesn’t lock up right completely rigid, so I think on big bumps it will bang around. It is also marketed as been non-heat gathering, but today it was 90 degrees and sunny and it got hot enough that would barely want to touch it for more than a moment. This may be cooler than the all aluminum ones, but not without heat. One more thing is that you have to open the cover before you can close the tailgate.

I did run into some issues with the install. The drain cups for the rear of the mounting rails was not cut to accommodate a clip that holds the bed cap corner down. So I had to cut that to make it fit (see photo). The right angle aluminum that works as the catch for the latches is slotted to allow you get it to the proper height, but the captured nut embeds itself in the back of the brackets, which makes them rather difficult to adjust. Once I had them all adjusted and installed I installed the panel system. But when I flip the panels down to the latches are wider than the catches, so they will not close. The latches were 1/8” too wide. I emailed Bak and then called them. The customer service rep told me that they would have a senior tech call me back. Well I never heard from them.

I could have waited days for them to call, we shall see if they ever call back. I could have demanded a return, but I want the cover and I had already waited a week to get it. So I decided to remedy the situation myself. I removed the catch brackets and marked them off and took them to my industrial belt sander. I removed a 1/8 from each bracket, so I would have clearance to latch the cover. I then put a nice radius on the corners something that Bak didn’t do. I repainted them and reinstalled again dealing with the difficult to adjust part. The cover still would not latch now because the latches on the cover are plastic and the edge of the catches would dig in. I then had to take a sanding flap wheel and radius the edge to get a nice smooth edge. The cover now fits and latches just like it does in the promo video they so proudly show us.

Now for the disappointment part in the system in general, the bracketry that comes with it, while fully functional is kind of crude. The catches are a piece of cut down angle aluminum, with slots in them. The corners just knocked off, rather than taking the extra 5 seconds to radius the corners on the same sander they are using to knock the corners down. (see photo) The retainer for the prop rod has to be the most disappointing piece, it is a inch chunk of angle aluminum that is hand drilled and sanded, then has a plastic wire retainer riveted to it. (see photo) This is the kind of the thing you go hey that will work, when you are engineering in your garage, not what you expect on a cover that is $900-$1000! Yes it does the job. For a company that is touting that they build OEM parts for one of the BIG 3, I am not sure how this level of quality can pass.
I like the cover, it works, it was just a long journey to get it on and right. I don’t have any intentions of replacing it, and yes I may even consider it for another truck. I was suggesting a Rollbak for my dads truck (different set of needs), but I may now look into a similar design by a different manufacture.
Take this information and make your own purchasing decision.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC02311.jpg (96.5 KB, 286 views)
File Type: jpg DSC02323.jpg (89.6 KB, 272 views)
File Type: jpg DSC02320.jpg (125.4 KB, 301 views)
File Type: jpg DSC02321.jpg (119.5 KB, 261 views)
File Type: jpg DSC02329.jpg (97.9 KB, 264 views)

Last edited by moose3; 06-04-2011 at 01:39 PM.
Sponsored links
Old 06-03-2011, 11:58 PM

Vehicle: 2011 Ram 1500 Sport
Trim Level: Sport Quad Cab
Color: Black
Rep:67
Rough 01 will become famous soon enough

Nice write up. I would say it was fair and honest although I think your mechanical ability/access to tools might be above average. I know if that had been me, I would've been stuck waiting to hear back from Bakflip.

That said, I purchased a G2 about 2 months ago for my QC with 6' bed. It installed fairly easily and I share your amazement/disappointment at the lock-rod holders. I know that my cover does get warm in the sun and we've had 90+ degree days here so far. I just couldn't justify the cost increase between the G2 and the F1 since I don't plan to load things on top of it and I can just "not touch it" when it's hot.

Thanks again for the write up and hopefully it'll give people the information they need to make informed decisions.
Old 06-04-2011, 12:15 AM

I know there were people who while reading my previous threads, believed there was no way I could give an honest review, and I was only seeing red. But I tried to sit back and think about the whole project.

It is very true that I am not a novice, I have alot of equipment in my garage, and I spent years making motorcycle accessories out of aluminum. So it was frustrating that I needed to start modifying, but I never felt like I couldn't make it work.

I may still redesign the prop rod retainer as that is just kind of a weak design.

Hope it answers all the question people could have and that they are more informed than I was, and I had done a lot of research.
Old 06-04-2011, 12:28 AM

Vehicle: 2010 Ram Quad Cab 4x4
Trim Level: Big Horn
Color: Inferno Red Pearl
Rep:743
RedRam10 is a splendid one to beholdRedRam10 is a splendid one to beholdRedRam10 is a splendid one to beholdRedRam10 is a splendid one to beholdRedRam10 is a splendid one to beholdRedRam10 is a splendid one to beholdRedRam10 is a splendid one to behold

Hi and a warm Carolina welcome to the best RAM ForumZ on the web. Well maybe it isn't exactly appropriate to welcome someone who's done a good job of posting many well discussed threads, but you've never dropped by the Newbie Checkin to say hi to everyone and get a proper welcome. I have a link, no actually two links for you to use - hope you make it over to both places.

I awarded you some points for a great review - well done!

Old 06-04-2011, 03:24 PM

Vehicle: 2011 Ram 2wd Crew Cab
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Silver
Rep:10
P Rod is on a distinguished road

After all your eariler problems, you still managed to right a very fair review. Nice Job .
Old 06-04-2011, 04:06 PM

I was pretty frustrated with the issues I had to work through and the lack of customer service support, when I was writing the earlier posts. But I know not everyone has has the same problems, so I thought it should be a honest review of the product, plus all the issues that I had to work through. Just straight flamming of the product is not called for.
Old 06-04-2011, 09:13 PM

Vehicle: 2013 1500 SLT Big Horn 4x4
Trim Level: Big Horn
Color: Black Gold
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:177
Whiplash has a spectacular aura aboutWhiplash has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by moose3 View Post
I was pretty frustrated with the issues I had to work through and the lack of customer service support, when I was writing the earlier posts. But I know not everyone has has the same problems, so I thought it should be a honest review of the product, plus all the issues that I had to work through. Just straight flamming of the product is not called for.
i don't think you over reacted at all..
when you drop near a G on something as "basic" as a rear cover you should expect near perfection.....like you i don't mind pissing around with stuff to adapt, but honestly after dropping almost $1000 i don't see why i'd have to especially, as you note, with a product from an oem builder
Old 06-05-2011, 09:01 PM
Woo Pig Sooie!

Vehicle: 2011 Dodge Ram 1500 Laramie
Color: White
Rep:95
Razorbass will become famous soon enough

Sorry to hear about the problems but thanks for sharing. I have the same cover and while I has some adjustment issues (very minor left-to-right kind of stuff), the cover went on pretty much as advertised. Have not checked the heat yet but it is getting 90+ here every day so we shall see. Still wish someone would come out with something similar to the Chevy Avalanche covers. I loved those for both durability, accessibility and safety. Did not like the way they faded though.

Anyway, great write-up. Thanks!
2011 Laramie Crew Cab 4x4, skid plates, 3.92 gears, Magnaflow cat back, spray-in bed liner, debadged, Bakflip F1 tonneau cover, WeatherTech liners & deflectors, K&N drop-in filter, 20% tint, Sickspeed carbon fiber antenna
Old 06-06-2011, 12:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razorbass View Post
Sorry to hear about the problems but thanks for sharing. I have the same cover and while I has some adjustment issues (very minor left-to-right kind of stuff), the cover went on pretty much as advertised. Have not checked the heat yet but it is getting 90+ here every day so we shall see. Still wish someone would come out with something similar to the Chevy Avalanche covers. I loved those for both durability, accessibility and safety. Did not like the way they faded though.

Anyway, great write-up. Thanks!
I will take my thermo with me to work tomorrow. 95 degrees and full sun tomorrow. I am going to measure the panel system of the Avalanche to just make SURE it won't fit, because if there is enough real estate in the bed, I can make it work.
Old 06-06-2011, 12:44 PM
Woo Pig Sooie!

Vehicle: 2011 Dodge Ram 1500 Laramie
Color: White
Rep:95
Razorbass will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by moose3 View Post
I will take my thermo with me to work tomorrow. 95 degrees and full sun tomorrow. I am going to measure the panel system of the Avalanche to just make SURE it won't fit, because if there is enough real estate in the bed, I can make it work.
If you can figure out how to make the Avalanche panels work on a bed with the Ramboxes, that would be awesome! I would consider selling my BakFlip if I could get that setup at a reasonable price. Please keep us posted!
2011 Laramie Crew Cab 4x4, skid plates, 3.92 gears, Magnaflow cat back, spray-in bed liner, debadged, Bakflip F1 tonneau cover, WeatherTech liners & deflectors, K&N drop-in filter, 20% tint, Sickspeed carbon fiber antenna