DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > 3RD Generation Dodge Ram 2002 to 2008 Dodge Ram Trucks > Powertrain > 4.7L PowerTech V8 Specific Topics

Notices

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 02-26-2009, 08:55 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Rep:10
mrafindley is on a distinguished road
Default 4.7 in 02 with engine noise

I have a new body style 02 quad cab with a 4.7 automatic

at 144xxx miles I blew the engine up trying to get home one nite. So I had a new engine put in the truck in Dallas Tx. and was supposed to take it back in 1000 miles for a check up. Anyway since I live 800 miles away it was pointless cause there was no way I could do that. So anyway I put 8000 miles on it and the truck started missing real bad. I did a compression test and found the rear 2 cyl. on the drivers side were at zero. So I called the place and of course the warranty was void. So I pulled the valve cover off to find that the bolts that hold the cam in were loose and backed off. I pulled the caps off and the cam was busted in half in the center journal. So the head is junk. I went to the wrecking yard and got another head off a truck that had 14xxx miles on it and installed it on my truck. Well it sounds like an exhaust leak but it is coming from under the valve cover like a lash adjuster is not pumping up. The truck runs fine can't really fill or see a miss on the tach and the compression is fine but the noise is driving me crazy.

Question: The haynes book says there is a tool that can compress the valve enough to get the rocker arm out to get to the lash adjusters to keep from having to pull the cam and re timing the engine again.

Where would a man get this tool and does it sound like a lash adjuster to you?
and since I can not find after market lash adjusters would you recomend I use some out of the head that is no good now?

Thanks sorry my first post is so long but just found you guys and like what I have read so far on here.

Now my heater core went out today too what a pita
Sponsored links