DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Diablo Predator Questions & Info!

Notices

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 06-16-2011, 08:57 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2011 Dodge Ram Sport
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Black
Engine: 2009-???? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:24
kewlguy53403 is on a distinguished road
Default Tune Noob

OK, I'm a tune noob here, and will be for some time as I have a 2011 and a tune will be the last (planned, as of today) mod I do. I have a few questions though.

1) What are the risks of using tunes and how can I mitigate those risks if I do tune (ie don't run a 93 tune? etc..?)

2) How do the tuners hook up the truck!? I have a power outlet, some usb ports and an audio jack, but I didn't see a plug tuner in here port :P
MODS: Raptor Step Rails | Drop in K&N | BakFlip HD | Raptor Bed Rails | Halo/LED Projector Headlights | Recon 3rd Brake & Tails | DDM HIDs | Big Rig Lights | Night Raider Taillight Bar | Volant CAI | Magnaflow 18 | MGP Caliper Covers | Lower Billet Grill | 20% Tint
Sponsored links
Old 06-16-2011, 11:04 AM

Vehicle: 2010 Ram RCSB 4x4
Color: Brilliant Black
Rep:514
BlackRamHemi is a glorious beacon of lightBlackRamHemi is a glorious beacon of lightBlackRamHemi is a glorious beacon of lightBlackRamHemi is a glorious beacon of lightBlackRamHemi is a glorious beacon of lightBlackRamHemi is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by kewlguy53403 View Post
OK, I'm a tune noob here, and will be for some time as I have a 2011 and a tune will be the last (planned, as of today) mod I do. I have a few questions though.

1) What are the risks of using tunes and how can I mitigate those risks if I do tune (ie don't run a 93 tune? etc..?)

2) How do the tuners hook up the truck!? I have a power outlet, some usb ports and an audio jack, but I didn't see a plug tuner in here port :P
All tuners can "potentially" void your warranty, if your dealer is a stickler for such things. The level of tuning you use wont really matter.
and although you can return a truck to stock by erasing the tune...the dealers starscan can tell if the ECU/PCM was accessed by a non-dealer device.
They cant prove exactly "what" you did...they just know it wasn't accessed at the dealership level (All Starscans are linked to your VIN)
So you cant say it was another dealership that erased and reset something 3 times over the past month if they don't have it on your VIN's record.

At best you're only adding about 25 HP with a Gas Tuner...not nearly enough to kill anything.
The Dealerships are primarily cracking down on Diesel Rams that can be tuned to add 100 HP + and up to 300 ft.lbs of Torque
...Those are the guys breaking $#!+ that are making things harder for those of us with minor mods.

I have never heard a tuner for a 5.7L 4G
1) causing a problem, 2) being identified and blamed as the source of a problem 3) Warranty Voided due to unauthorized use of a Tuner.

It doesn't mean you wont have an issue...just that the chances are very slim.

I've returned my 4G Hemi to stock for an RRT Re-flash of the computer at the dealership and they never saw anything, or did and didn't care.
If I was in for a problem related to something I "broke" though....perhaps they would have dug a little deeper..I'll never know until that happens.
It's a risk I'm willing to take for the benefits I'm enjoying.

All Tuners use the same port the Dealers use to access the ECU/PCM,...the OBDII port under your dash near the steering wheel.

Murdered.. Lowered.. Alcohol Injected ..Blowered! 500WHP

Last edited by BlackRamHemi; 06-16-2011 at 11:29 AM.
Old 06-16-2011, 11:36 AM

Vehicle: 2009 dodge ram 1500
Rep:713
platinuminjected is a splendid one to beholdplatinuminjected is a splendid one to beholdplatinuminjected is a splendid one to beholdplatinuminjected is a splendid one to beholdplatinuminjected is a splendid one to beholdplatinuminjected is a splendid one to beholdplatinuminjected is a splendid one to behold

excellent info right there bud!!!!
MODS... tinted windows,cf dash kit,6000 k fogs and low beam,heavy duty rubber mud flaps,recon tails 3rd break,L.E.D liscenceplate,reverse lights,factory side steps,afe intake,bakflip toneau cover,magnaflow exhaust,diablo predator,33' trail grapplers,bilstein 5100's,laminx head/fogs,shorty antenna,
Old 06-16-2011, 11:55 AM

Vehicle: 2011 Dodge Ram Sport
Color: Black
Engine: 2009-???? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:24
kewlguy53403 is on a distinguished road

Awesome, thanks for the info. I see most guys use the Diablo tuners. What are the advantages/disadvantage of each? I think the Diablo are plug in, tune, unplug & drive where as the trinity give you real time feedback or something?
MODS: Raptor Step Rails | Drop in K&N | BakFlip HD | Raptor Bed Rails | Halo/LED Projector Headlights | Recon 3rd Brake & Tails | DDM HIDs | Big Rig Lights | Night Raider Taillight Bar | Volant CAI | Magnaflow 18 | MGP Caliper Covers | Lower Billet Grill | 20% Tint
Old 06-16-2011, 01:48 PM

Vehicle: 2010 Ram RCSB 4x4
Rep:514
BlackRamHemi is a glorious beacon of lightBlackRamHemi is a glorious beacon of lightBlackRamHemi is a glorious beacon of lightBlackRamHemi is a glorious beacon of lightBlackRamHemi is a glorious beacon of lightBlackRamHemi is a glorious beacon of light

There is no disadvantage to the Diablosport Trinity, (IMHO)
Its absolutely THEE best all around Tuner/Gauge package on the market for a 4G Hemi.

The Predator will run the same Diablosport software with identical canned tunes/options
...but offers no real time display/gauges and touch screen like the Trinity
So dont pay the extra $200 for those if you don't want to use them.

Both can load canned/custom tunes and be removed from the vehicle.
Upshifts for partial and wide open throttle can be adjusted along with dozens of other computer controlled parameters.

Other Options available for 09-10' 5.7L Hemi's, that I've tried and come in a close second
in performance and tuning options/adjustability:

Bully Dog GT Triple Dog
also has real time display gauge options similar to the Trinity, smaller display then trinity and no touch screen though.
Driving Coach Display that not only saves fuel with tune, but gives real-time feedback on driving adjustments for acceleration/braking.

no custom tuning support for mods like cam/headers etc.
Up shifts options for WOT only...no partial throttle or downshifts.

Superchips (Cortex or Flashpaq)

Both are plug and play and remove, like the Predator...no extra gauge displays. No custom tuning support for cams/headers etc.
+ Does have the most advanced Transmission Tuning for Upshifts and Down-shifts, but cost and extra $40 per vehicle VIN to unlock.

Murdered.. Lowered.. Alcohol Injected ..Blowered! 500WHP

Last edited by BlackRamHemi; 06-16-2011 at 01:53 PM.
Old 06-16-2011, 02:15 PM

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram 6.6L Hemi!
Trim Level: Crew Cab Sport 4x4
Color: Stone White
Rep:366
RamTex is just really niceRamTex is just really niceRamTex is just really niceRamTex is just really nice

Great brake down of the tuners i agree!!!^^^^^^

"New Project" 1969 Road Runner
BV Heads,K1 Crank and Rods,Corrillo Pistons,ARP Head, Main, Side Studs and Rod Bolts,Spartan Eagle Cam,6.1 Manifold,Fastman 85mm,LMI Hammer, ARH's,3000TC,Hemifever Tuning
Old 06-16-2011, 02:16 PM

Rep:22
MADDOG is on a distinguished road

All good info there ^^^^. I would add that if you want to see some real world results on a truck HEMI, click on my "Ram Mods" link below and scroll to page 2.