DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Custom Chassis - Drive Line - Suspension - Wheels and Tires - LIFTING - Dodge Ram 4x4, 2x4

Notices

Custom Chassis - Drive Line - Suspension - Wheels and Tires - LIFTING - Dodge Ram 4x4, 2x4 Discuss anything related to Custom Dodge Ram Wheels, Tires, Brakes, Suspension Mods, Chassis Mods and Tuning, Towing options, Driveline, 4x4, Differentials, Sway Bars, Lifting Springs, Body Lifts, Strut Braces, etc.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 07-02-2011, 04:15 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Briliant Black
Rep:463
BigHorn 4 Life is a glorious beacon of lightBigHorn 4 Life is a glorious beacon of lightBigHorn 4 Life is a glorious beacon of lightBigHorn 4 Life is a glorious beacon of lightBigHorn 4 Life is a glorious beacon of light

There is some performance gain. After the lift was installed it rides much better then stock. Now sence I put bilstein 5100's on my ride has improved even more. There is more travel in the front now. You say people think a lift has more performance? That just depends on what type of lift they buy. Just my 2cence.

Last edited by BigHorn 4 Life; 07-02-2011 at 04:26 PM.
Old 07-02-2011, 05:09 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Engine: 2005-???? 359ci (5.9L) Cummins ISB 610 24-Valve Diesel I6 325hp 610 lb/ft
Rep:10
Crawler Hauler is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigHorn 4 Life View Post
There is some performance gain. After the lift was installed it rides much better then stock. Now sence I put bilstein 5100's on my ride has improved even more. There is more travel in the front now. You say people think a lift has more performance? That just depends on what type of lift they buy. Just my 2cence.
The improvement in ride is a function of the shocks, you said it yourself.

How can there be more travel? The limiting factor of the range of motion are the control arms. You did not change those.

You can test this theory by ramping your truck and giving us your RTI score. Unless you have longer control arms, you won't have a substantially higher score. You will see a few points that can be attributed to the bigger tires giving you some flex, but that won't add up to more than a handful of points.

For those not familiar, RTI stands for Ramp Travel Index. It's a way to compare the flex of one vehicle to the next, or see how much wheel travel you can get from a particular modification on the same vehicle.

Or you can measure it the way the desert racers measure wheel travel, in inches. Either way, if it improved, I'm curious to know how much.

I think the improvement you enjoy is in the quality of the ride, which comes from the shocks.

Last edited by Crawler Hauler; 07-02-2011 at 05:31 PM.
Old 07-02-2011, 05:50 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

BigHorn 4 Life is a glorious beacon of lightBigHorn 4 Life is a glorious beacon of lightBigHorn 4 Life is a glorious beacon of lightBigHorn 4 Life is a glorious beacon of lightBigHorn 4 Life is a glorious beacon of light

Well my truck having more clearence from my tires is more performance on its own. I can do a lot more stuff with it then before if I choose.Well you say the ride is better becaue of shocks? Not true because my lift did not come with struts and it road better then stuck. The bilsteins made it even better.

This lift comes with more then you think bro.

http://bds-suspension.com/product?ma...3&yr=2009-2011
Old 07-02-2011, 06:05 PM

Engine: 2005-???? 359ci (5.9L) Cummins ISB 610 24-Valve Diesel I6 325hp 610 lb/ft

The OP asked about the body lift/leveling kit combo to clear a 35" tire.

Yes, they work well and they are inexpensive. I see no advantage to paying three times as much for a suspension lift.

Here's an article from Peterson's Offroad (Feb 2009 issue). They essentialy say the same thing: a basic suspension lift kit helps you clear bigger tires. That's it.

The new-style '04 Ford F-150 has big shoes to fill, since it's the 1/2-ton truck known as "the best-selling pickup truck in the world," but many of the new owners will find that the stock suspension and tires are just not high enough for their tastes. However, with the new Explorer Pro Comp 6-inch suspension lift and larger tires, a more aggressive look is available for those aiming to get their new Ford ready for some 1/2-ton hell-raisin'.

We're going to tell you flat out that lifting an IFS 1/2-ton truck will not make it the ultimate rockcrawler or desert racer, but you already knew that. But what it will do is give you clearance for a taller tire, which in turn will help you get a little bit further down your local trail, over some taller rocks, or through a deeper mud hole. Plus there is the fact, proven by our own 30 years of research, that a truck on bigger tires just plain looks better.

This kit from Pro Comp does require a fair bit of mechanical knowledge, but if you have a healthy toolbox, something to cut metal, a good set of jackstands, some buddies to lend you a hand, and a weekend, you should be able to install it in your driveway. We went to the Pro Comp research laboratory and watched the experts install it in half a day. They never needed a hammer for a single part of the install, which is proof that the kit was designed better than some suspensions we've tested.

The new Pro Comp 6-inch F-150 kit is a simple IFS lift kit that incorporates drop-down brackets for the lower A-arms, sway bar, and front axle, with taller spindles, coilover spacers, and lift blocks for the rear axle. We watched the Pro Comp techs install it in half a day, but the average home mechanic could do it over a weekend with some help.

Read more: http://www.4wheeloffroad.com/brandpa...#ixzz1QzM1xS7a

Last edited by Crawler Hauler; 07-02-2011 at 06:16 PM.
Old 07-02-2011, 06:36 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

All I know is you can't go as many places in a stock 4x4 as you can in a 9" lifted truck .
Old 07-02-2011, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigHorn 4 Life View Post
All I know is you can't go as many places in a stock 4x4 as you can in a 9" lifted truck .
Except a parking garage!

A few years ago I had two trucks and a Jeep. None of them would fit in a parking garage. Now I'm down to a truck and a Jeep and a "normal" car so I can go into the city if I want.
Old 07-02-2011, 09:15 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawler Hauler View Post
Except a parking garage!

A few years ago I had two trucks and a Jeep. None of them would fit in a parking garage. Now I'm down to a truck and a Jeep and a "normal" car so I can go into the city if I want.
Your right there bro haha.

we are house hunting,
We went looking for a house today and we found some brand new homes that were in our price range. My truck will fit in the garage in all the models. So I told the wife to just pic one I like them all haha. In Oct the wife graduates nursing school so soon as she is out and gets a job we are either building or buying a new house already built . I can't wait!! My truck wont know what to do being in a garage lol.
Old 12-17-2011, 02:15 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2005 Dodge Ram
Engine: 2002-2007 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 235hp 295lb/ft
SupermanSkivies is on a distinguished road

hey guys, thanks for all the great info!