DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - General Discussion > 2011 Dodge Ram Forum

Notices

2011 Dodge Ram Forum For specific discussion of the 2011 Dodge Ram!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 07-03-2011, 08:19 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2002 ford
Rep:10
slidellkid is on a distinguished road
Default How to order Towing Package

As I mentioned in an earlier post, I am going to buy a new Dodge. I may order one if I can't find what I want. I was on the Dodge web site and I put together a build for one but I don't see an option for a towing package. I do see a receiver hitch and a trailer brake system....is this the towing package? I would want a transmission cooler too, how do I get that?

I hate to show my ignorance but how does the trailer braking system work?

Thanks.
Sponsored links
Old 07-03-2011, 08:49 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram 1500 2X4
Trim Level: quad cab SLT
Color: sunburst orange pearl
Rep:2615
GTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond repute

some things that you would want

HEAVY duty engine cooling (biggest radiator )
HEAVY duty Transmission Oil Cooler
Both the 4 pin & 7 pin trailer connectors
Class 4 hitch receiver
Electric brake controller, dash mounted

HEMI or Diesel engine
3.92 or 4.11 rear differential, 4.11 if the trailer is over 5,000 pounds or you live in a real hilly area, if it will be a 2012 model, get 3.99 gears
TOW MIRRORS if you are going to be pulling a wider trailer, where your site may be restricted

consider a 2500 series Ram, if you can swing it

maybe someone can think of other things to consider

Happy Hunting
Ram 1500 SLT Quad cab, 5.7 HEMI(R) MDS VCT, 5 speed auto 545RFE, 3.55 differential gears, 18" Magnaflow muffler, EGR bug deflector, Bushwacker fender flares, customized Nfab nerf bars, CB radio, Autonet wi-fi router, custom soft tonneau cover, Line_X bedliner, DEBO Step, build date 10/15/08 a Wednesday built vehicle
Old 07-03-2011, 09:00 PM
erm

Yes, the receiver hitch & trailer brake system is part of the towing system.

You won't see ALL options available for order on the website as it's not an order site. When you do actually sit down to place an order, you'll be given an opportunity to select your options.

One way to see what's available is to have the sales/finance manager print out current order options and option packages. That way you can see specifics on what's available.
Old 07-03-2011, 09:00 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

GTYankee,

Thanks for the advice. How do I order those things like the transmission cooler and heavy duty radiator? I didn't see a selection for "towing package" or anything heavy duty on the buildup you can do on the Ram web page.
Old 07-03-2011, 09:01 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Thanks Maddog. I understand now.
Old 07-03-2011, 09:10 PM
erm

What you will see is a series of option "packages" that are available to order.

The trailer brake system is used with a trailer that has electric brakes. It modulates electrical supply to the trailer brakes based on the amount of braking force you are applying to the truck brakes.
Old 07-03-2011, 09:17 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

GTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond repute

Most of the modern trailers have electric brakes,
when you push your trucks brake pedal, you know how much pressure needs to be applied in most circumstances
Now when you add the extra weight of the trailer & its contents, you want the trailers brakes to slow down at the same rate as the truck, not more, not less. That is where the electric brake controller comes in. When it is set properly, different settings can be applied, the trailer brakes are applied at the same rate as the trucks brakes.

if the trailer has the old hydraulic braking system, it is a workable system, IF the SURGE brake is working properly. Backing up with the hydraulic system is close to impossible
Trouble with that system is that the surge brake hardly ever works properly & it slams into your truck instead of slowing itself down. you sometimes find yourself on an E TICKET Thrill Ride
Ram 1500 SLT Quad cab, 5.7 HEMI(R) MDS VCT, 5 speed auto 545RFE, 3.55 differential gears, 18" Magnaflow muffler, EGR bug deflector, Bushwacker fender flares, customized Nfab nerf bars, CB radio, Autonet wi-fi router, custom soft tonneau cover, Line_X bedliner, DEBO Step, build date 10/15/08 a Wednesday built vehicle
Old 07-03-2011, 09:21 PM
erm

^^^^ hahahahaha ^^^^ got that right, GT!!!

I tell ya, if you have never experienced that, pray that you never will.
Old 07-03-2011, 09:45 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

I did it once with a 1 ton flatbed truck & a 6,000 pound single dually axle liquid bulk tank, filled with liquid asphalt
I was luckily far from civilization, out on Interstate 10 near Blythe California, i got cut off, hit the brakes, the trailer was passing me as i was leaving the asphalt highway. Talk about PUCKER POWER

The equipment shop had made me use that little truck, said that it met the towing specs, yeah right!!
After that i wouldn't tow it with anything less than a 2 ton flatbed or a 4 yard dump truck