DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > 2ND Generation Dodge Ram 1994 to 2001 Dodge Ram Trucks > Heating & Cooling

Notices

Heating & Cooling 2nd Gen Dodge Ram Heating & Cooling Problems and Questions.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 07-03-2011, 02:49 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 1997 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 club
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: Electric Blue
Engine: 1994-1997 360ci (5.9L) Magnum V8 230hp
Rep:206
sonocativo has a spectacular aura aboutsonocativo has a spectacular aura aboutsonocativo has a spectacular aura about
Default A/C low pressure valve leaking

Awhile back I posted I filled the ac and it works...Well it keeps leaking down and I couldnt find any leaks with the detector. Finally found it as i refilled it, as it got cold and started condensing the water in the valve was showing bubbles forming around the tit. Now my question is, how do you fix that if its internal like it is ( it dont screw out like a bicycle valve ) it looks more like a complete line replacement??? Thanks for any help on this as I would like to try and save a few dollars but the heat is blazing here in the low 100 degrees and up the past week and getting worst in the coming weeks, The baby needs the a/c when I have him in there.
Old 07-03-2011, 03:22 PM

Vehicle: 1995 Dodge Ram B2500 Van
Trim Level: SLT - 2500
Color: Deep Molten Pearl Coat, Silver, Grey
Engine: 1994-2001 318ci (5.2L) Magnum V8 220hp
Rep:127
ramvan2500 will become famous soon enoughramvan2500 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonocativo View Post
Awhile back I posted I filled the ac and it works...Well it keeps leaking down and I couldnt find any leaks with the detector. Finally found it as i refilled it, as it got cold and started condensing the water in the valve was showing bubbles forming around the tit. Now my question is, how do you fix that if its internal like it is ( it dont screw out like a bicycle valve ) it looks more like a complete line replacement??? Thanks for any help on this as I would like to try and save a few dollars but the heat is blazing here in the low 100 degrees and up the past week and getting worst in the coming weeks, The baby needs the a/c when I have him in there.
Yea I have this issue also, it would require a line replacement but you could just evac the system and then put some refrigeration oil on the let of the valve and open and close the valve, then charge the system and see how it goes, note their should be a plastic cover that screws on the valve to prevent dust and stuff from getting in there.
Old 07-03-2011, 11:24 PM

sonocativo has a spectacular aura aboutsonocativo has a spectacular aura aboutsonocativo has a spectacular aura about

Nope no cover, no threads on it , nothing> It is more like a quick connect type fitting for an air tool... kinda sucks that its leaking. Guess I will see what I can do, ?
Old 07-04-2011, 12:06 AM

ramvan2500 will become famous soon enoughramvan2500 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Nope no cover, no threads on it , nothing> It is more like a quick connect type fitting for an air tool... kinda sucks that its leaking. Guess I will see what I can do, ?
I'm aware of the fitting type, usually they have a screw on cap like you would find on the tires. Well I can first start off by telling you that those types of valves you and I have are known for leaking, mine even leaked and it's so low that the compressor cannot kick on because of the safety pressure switches. Well anyways I would just evac the system oil that valve a little and then try to fill it up a little bit, you might get lucky. But if no go then you probably would need to replace that line, and first hand experience I can tell you that would cost a little amount of money because it's pre-bent. I could if you want get you a oil used line from another truck, it's a gamble of the same issue happening but it's worth a shot and I can tell you the part I would give you would still be 90% cheaper than any store, dealer, retailer. But if you need any help or part numbers anything at all just name it and I'll try my best, I too and A/C less until I can round up 170 bucks to have my system evaced and charged. and again I too have a leak mines so small it takes years to leak out. so I'm really burning my money but, A/C is essential, especially in the south with all the bugs and humidity.
Old 07-04-2011, 12:28 AM

I filled mine at like 9pm and by 6am it was low...compressor still kicks on and off but the air is barely cool, where when I filled it, it was ice cold.... I will see what I can do with it before I go replacing a line, hopefully.
Old 07-04-2011, 07:03 PM

Quote:
I filled mine at like 9pm and by 6am it was low...compressor still kicks on and off but the air is barely cool, where when I filled it, it was ice cold.... I will see what I can do with it before I go replacing a line, hopefully.
yes your lucky, my compressor can't kick on cause it's so low on refrigerant. anyways you have a big leak, mine took years to leak out. but anyways yea try putting some pag oil in around the valve opening and closing it maybe it will help, sometimes does. just be careful, PAG and 134a mixed together is very toxic.
Old 07-04-2011, 07:41 PM

I dont know what pag oil is? But I put water in the valve to check for the leak... It would bubble so I used a rod clamped in a pair of vice grips and I would give it a few raps to blow the water out and then check again for leaks. It sometimes bubbled more or less and finally it stopped. I noticed the vave is threaded inside the top tortion so I found a bolt with a locknut and a rubber o-ring and made my own makeshift cap. it still has a charge today so I guess I did a good job for the time being. Ill keep posted on how it holds up and Ill get a pic posted soon.
Old 07-04-2011, 09:12 PM
erm

Eventually you'll have to replace that line but it sounds like you've got a temporary fix figured out.
Old 07-04-2011, 09:47 PM

I hope so, at least for the rest of this year... Here is the quick fix I did as a precaution...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg fixes 003.jpg (115.5 KB, 41 views)
Old 07-05-2011, 02:41 AM

Quote:
I dont know what pag oil is? But I put water in the valve to check for the leak... It would bubble so I used a rod clamped in a pair of vice grips and I would give it a few raps to blow the water out and then check again for leaks. It sometimes bubbled more or less and finally it stopped. I noticed the vave is threaded inside the top tortion so I found a bolt with a locknut and a rubber o-ring and made my own makeshift cap. it still has a charge today so I guess I did a good job for the time being. Ill keep posted on how it holds up and Ill get a pic posted soon.
Like I said they come with a cap on them, the valves on the pickups haven't changed and they are the same as on the vans and cars etc... PAG oil is refrigeration lube that you put in the compressor and in the lines, it helps keep the system and o-rings lubed and conditioned. Anyways, neither refrigerant 134 and pag are toxic but if you mix them they are very toxic so be careful when playing with refrigeration systems. I don't mess to much with the systems because I don't have anything to capture the refrigerant from going into the ozone and I don't want the EPA by me. So I just put what I can in containers and everything else I pay someone to take care of. All that out of the way, you will probably have to replace the line but what you can do is try to lube that valve and then I can give you the part number for that cap that screws on and you can order it at the local dealership, they are cheap about 5 bucks. Mine leaks from that valve but I'm sure when I have my system evaced ect I will have the tech lube the valve for me, I would do it again myself but lack of capturing tools.

Well tell me how the fix holds. It should do ok, you should of tried a little teflon tape on those threads. just in case