DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > 3RD Generation Dodge Ram 2002 to 2008 Dodge Ram Trucks > Heating & Cooling

Notices

Heating & Cooling 3rd Gen Dodge Ram Heating & Cooling Problems and Questions.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 06-06-2010, 05:39 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2006 Dodge Ram 1500 4X4
Trim Level: SLT TRX4
Color: Pacific Blue
Engine: 2002-2007 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 235hp 295lb/ft
Rep:10
jjdafisher is on a distinguished road
Default the fix

you guys that fixed it through the glove box way do you still have defrost for the winter? does it only affect the 2 settings on the far left?? i am about to tackle this job next weekend and am wondering the benefits of taking the door out all together or fixing it and leaving it in there?? i am hoping it is this door as i heard there is about 3 or 4 different blend doors in this system.... i am hoping it is only the one that i can get to behind the glove box....
any tips other than what is already posted will help this week end...
or any tests... that can be run "pre-fix" would be appreciated. to try and figure out which door is malfunctioning.
the problem seems to be very similar as everyone else not enough cold air to be coming in to cool down the cab i am getting some cold air but not enough and also i can hear the air which sounds like its muffled behind the glove box...
Jay
Old 06-26-2010, 12:39 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2004 Dodge Ram 4 door 4x4 HEMI
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Silver
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Stage1 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueLineRam View Post
I just fixed a broken recirc door on my 06. Like others, my A/C was nice and cold but not blowing hard enough to cool the cab. So I googled the problem and found a quick fix. It took me just 15 mins.

Locate your blower directly underneath the glove box. Remove three screws and pull out the circular blower. Reach up inside the hole, you will probably find a foam covered door lying loose inside. The foam door is your recirc door. Wiggle it a bit so you can pull it out of the blower hole. Check your blower for any broken pieces from the recirc door and then reinstall the blower. Your A/C should be blowing like new. The only catch is from now on you will no longer have recirc available.

For me, I didn't want to pay 400 bucks or try to pull out the entire dash just to fix something that will eventually break again. Like I said, it now blows cold and hard like it was new. If you can live without recirc, then go for it!
I just did this, took me less then 10 mins!! Just as BlueLineRam said: The foam door was lying loose, just pulled it out and everything is working like new!!! This is a great tip!!! Thank you!!
Old 06-26-2010, 12:41 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2004 Dakota Club Cab 4X4
Trim Level: SXT
Color: Bright Silver
Engine: 2002-2008 226ci (3.7L) Magnum/PowerTech V6 215hp 235lb/ft
Rep:1824
RamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant future

The recirc door only changes the source air to the HVAC, switching from inside to outside air. Mode doors direct the air to the vents, defrost or floor and the blend door controls the air temprature.
Old 07-10-2010, 12:33 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2006 Ram 1500 4x4
Motoram is on a distinguished road

I have the same problem, I have already removed the damaged recirc. door. Easy, just remove the glove box, it comes right out just depress tabs to crear the stops and unhook it. Next remove the fan , 3 torx screws and a plug. reach up and pull out the broken door, you will have to try several different positions but it can be done without forcing it. A/C will work without it , but I am going to try to replace it, looks like I can by unscrewing the servo motor, positioning the new door then reinstalling the servo motor. all from the glove box!
Old 07-10-2010, 01:33 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2005 dodge ram
Trim Level: sxt
Color: atlantic blue
Rep:197
05atlanticblue has a spectacular aura about05atlanticblue has a spectacular aura about

when you remove the recirculation door, you are taking in outside air to cool. if you live somewhere it gets uber hot, the ac will really suck.
Old 10-14-2010, 11:38 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Vehicle: 2005 Dodge Ram 1500 4WD
Color: Mineral Gray Metalic
DatWunGai is on a distinguished road

James Posey - thanks for sharing.
My 05 has had weak air flow since I bought it 6 months ago - I wish I'd seen this then. Anyway, I used silicone to seal it since it will be easy to peel off when I'm ready to do the correct fix. Today it's like a tsunami in that b****! I love it!
Thanks again!
Old 10-14-2010, 12:55 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2004 Ram 1500 QC
Color: Black
Seant68 is on a distinguished road

I just dove into this last weekend, but I wasnt lucky enough for it to be just the recirc door, I had to replace the air blend doors there are 2 one below and one above the heater core in the heater box. After spending a day trying to remove the bottom of the heater box(DUMB) I spoke with a very wise man who said just take these bolts out, these here, drop the steering column unplug the airbags and the dash pulls right out. I saw a pic of this on the first page of this thread I think. Disconnect the heater hoses and the refridgerent lines a few bolts on the heater box and BAM had it out on the ground in about an hour replacing the air blend doors.It was actually a lot easier than it sounds or looks.
The only other thing I had to do was replace the liquid line for ac from the evap coil to the first disconnect which is right behind the air box because the spring got messed up. But the filter is also in this line so prob was good to replace anyway.
Old 10-16-2010, 11:28 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2002 Dodge Ram QuadCab
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Black
Rep:34
jaymiller is on a distinguished road
Default Repaired Blend Doors

Since we're on this thread I thought I'd share a fix I found this summer. These guys have a kit that makes it easy to repair the Blend, Mode, and Recirc Doors without pulling off the dash: http://www.heatertreater.net/Ram%2002-08%20Listing.html

I think the initial kit is 135.00 for the initial door and dremel tool bit, then it's 35.00 for each door there after.
If you check out their video's, they show you how to diagnose each door problem. I replaced my Upper Blend Door with their kit and my dremel tool and it only took about 1 1/2 hrs.

They show how you can remove and install a new Recirculation Door by removing the 3 Blower screws, pulling the blower and grabbing the broken door...then removing the glovebox and the plastic grate to unstall a new door with a better hinge pin (metal instead of plastic). Very easy fix with video help.

Now my heater core is leaking and I have to pull the dash anyway...Anyone know of a thread on pulling the dash?
Old 07-04-2011, 06:54 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: dodge 2500 diesel
Trim Level: Lariat
Engine: 2005-???? 359ci (5.9L) Cummins ISB 610 24-Valve Diesel I6 325hp 610 lb/ft
lwadey is on a distinguished road

Go to Heatertreater.com. They show you how to replace these doors without taking off the whole dash.
I found my recirc door broke off and was laying over my blower fan. Once I took the broken door out, my AC blew as hard as if it was new. I just cant switch from inside to outside air but who cares? It blows hard and cold and didnt cost me a nickel. Took about an hour to get the broken door out and put all back together...
Old 07-05-2011, 05:12 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2003 Dodge Ram Quad Cab 4x2
Color: White
mrrmobile is on a distinguished road

I have this same problem on my '03. Most of the time it works fine, but when on long trips on the interstate with cruise set, it will all of the sudden stop blowing air through the vents. If you sit at idle for a few minutes, it goes back to normal function. I am thinking maybe I have a vacuum leak? I'm not familiar to this system so I don't know if it is even a vacuum run system... Any ideas anyone?

Thanks,
Mike